Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1911 Canadian speciman dollar just sold

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive Canadian collection!

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

It USED to be an impressive collection, but Mr Cook has his own idea about how to take $500,000 coins and make them bright and shiny .. he used Vim. Many of the coins Heritage & PCGS downgraded, some body-bagged, and others as "detail".

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

fact is simple:
    these were all HIS , Mr. Cook's coins and nobody else's. he paid for them with his money! not others money.
    Numismatists surly do not like his actions... BUT every one of you complainers had the chance to buy this coin at some time in the past. The Canadian Gov had every chance and all the money to buy it.. but did not. They have "better" ways to spend it, like for political purposes...
    Again, this and the other mishandled coins were Mr. Cooks's very own property to do with whatever he wanted and... derived pleasure out of it. An that he did. with or without VIM or Brasso or steel wool or whatever.
    so the question begs: why did he actually do it?
    ever heard about getting older and things often happen with peoples minds when someone gets older... people forget what they do.....big time.. things mean nothing any longer and shiny things might mean the world to a person.
    Now that this is said, WHY did not any of you complainers buy the coin yesterday and have our host re-store it?
    It would then be yours to do with whatever you wanted... perhaps cut it in half and make it famous ;) ...
    I am sure there are some of you who can easy afford 1/2 mill....and not even blink an eye....

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    fact is simple:
    these were all HIS , Mr. Cook's coins and nobody else's. he paid for them with his money! not others money.
    Numismatists surly do not like his actions... BUT every one of you complainers had the chance to buy this coin at some time in the past. The Canadian Gov had every chance and all the money to buy it.. but did not. They have "better" ways to spend it, like for political purposes...
    Again, this and the other mishandled coins were Mr. Cooks's very own property to do with whatever he wanted and... derived pleasure out of it. An that he did. with or without VIM or Brasso or steel wool or whatever.
    ever heard about getting older and things often happen with peoples minds when someone gets older... people forget what they do.....big time.. things mean nothing any longer and shiny things might mean the world to a person.
    Now that this is said, WHY did not any of you complainers buy the coin yesterday and have our host re-store it?
    It would then be yours to do with whatever you wanted... perhaps cut it in half and make it famous ;) ...
    I am sure there are some of you who can easy afford 1/2 mill....and not even blink an eye....

I disagree with you. Of course it is his coin but we are keepers of history and have an ethical responsibility to preserve it. Destroying a Monet just because you own it is still a travesty.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

We are not complainers .. coin sites are for opinions and nothing else and we made ours known. Be on the lookout for those that were body-bagged by PCGS .. you may see them sooner rather than later in different holders.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@YQQ said:
    fact is simple:

I disagree with you. Of course it is his coin but we are keepers of history and have an ethical responsibility to preserve it. Destroying a Monet just because you own it is still a travesty.

I agree with Brian on this one. As custodians of history, our responsibility is to preserve it.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭

What 2K said.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Is that dollar the one Gene Henry bought circa 1980 ?

• Options

so, I do not disagree with you at all... not for a moment!!!
    BUT, some of you could have preserved that history and bought the coin a few years ago!!!!!!!!!!! at the same time George was bidding for it, proving and supporting what you are saying now!!!
    why did you not do that???if it is such an important piece???
    any one of you could have bought it and then donated it to the Museum and.. then received a huge tax credit/ write off etc.... and yes, please comment on this....IF YOU like.
    it is easy to say it is a piece of history and you are a guardian of history....usually, pieces of history are purchased by collectors for a lot of money. but 1/2 mill for this was peanuts... Now, is it really?? or are you just saying it is....after all, the CAN gov did not think so....nor did the CAN currency museum...nor did any other museum ??? they all were aware about it!!
    and for the money it was sold?? well, it would have been peanuts for some of you!!!!!!!!!!
    agreeing or not agreeing is not the issue here.
    Fact still remains the coin, and all the other VIM coins, were Mr. Cooks coins...and he did what he wanted to do with them. No argument...
    we all can have opinions about if it was right or wrong... but the facts remain the same.It was his coin!!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a great tale in the shell collecting circles though I don't believe it is true.

The 2nd know specimen of a rare shell was up for auction. The owner of the only known specimen(before the 2nd was found) won the auction for the 2nd one and proceeded to crush it in front of everyone at the auction so he would still have the only one known.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@syl said:
    It USED to be an impressive collection, but Mr Cook has his own idea about how to take $500,000 coins and make them bright and shiny .. he used Vim. Many of the coins Heritage & PCGS downgraded, some body-bagged, and others as "detail".

What is. VIM and how do you know if
    Mr Cook treated his coins in that manner ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    edited August 17, 2019 2:42PM

VIM is a Chemical cleaner like , for example, Comet or similar. It is used for cleaning Bathroom surfaces and to remove stubborn spots from items around the kitchen.
    it will remove the skin from your hands if you use it long enough.
    There are a very few people who do actually know how he cleaned HIS coins.
    I am not one of them, but I do know one of them (not a member here). This person was one of Georges competition in many auction or private purchases.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin was a bargain.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thought exactly but past my pay grade.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.