Home Precious Metals
Options

If I owned Gold right now....................

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go straight to my local PM dealer and swap the entire stash for silver and platinum (in a 50-50 split), based on the very attractive ratios.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, not me, hoarding my gold !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not me.
    From a historical, logistical, standpoint, that would look to be the correct action, however, the market is often, and I believe this time as well, emotional rather than logical.

I think some/a lot of the drive is fear/emotion and global. People KNOW gold. It spans countries and cultures. Platinum and Palladium, not so much. Silver does, but gold has the mystique.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way gold is king, nobody wants platinum and silvers just the poor mans metal. I do have a silver hoard but it will be gone as soon as ratio is more favorable to swap. Never give up the yellow for a lesser metal imo.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    If I was a gold trader, I'd look to sell in the 1540-1580 range, buy back in the high 14's, and then enjoy the ride back up.

Being that I'm not a trader, and I mostly own gold, I think I'll go for a bike ride this morning.

Enjoy your ride I had the same plan s t 1470 but it blew through to 1500.
    I'm thinking of using the plan/ selling this week If the trajectory flattens.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is something special about gold that is just not the same with Platinum or Silver. You can't just look at numbers.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019 5:44AM

I appreciate the beauty and history of many gold American and world coin designs...
    but
    I tend to agree with you at this junction..

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you think that 1500 is fun, just wait.

My ratio is 15:70:15 and I'm stickin' to it.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Bochiman ...and do not be surprised to see gold at $1550+ before this cycle is over....Heck, maybe $1600.... However, my predictive record is abysmal.... ;) So consider that as well ... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

......and down goes gold $23 in 20 minutes..........😑

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options

@Downtown1974 said:
    You do you....I’m keeping my gold.

Most are missing my point.

Exchange gold for what is relatively super cheap for it now and then when the ratio switches back (most likely a 5 year time horizon) you switch back the silver or platinum back to your precious gold and you will increase your gold ounces by at least 30%, regardless if the ounce price appreciates or depreciates.

It's a 'swapping' strategy that everyone should seriously consider if they are holding PMs for the long term.

It's a useless strategy for the short term PM investor.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@Downtown1974 said:
    You do you....I’m keeping my gold.

Most are missing my point.

Exchange gold for what is relatively super cheap for it now and then when the ratio switches back (most likely a 5 year time horizon) you switch back the silver or platinum back to your precious gold and you will increase your gold ounces by at least 30%, regardless if the ounce price appreciates or depreciates.

It's a 'swapping' strategy that everyone should seriously consider if they are holding PMs for the long term.

It's a useless strategy for the short term PM investor.

as long as you are not telling you have any metal swap away. The government has funny ideas though , they would expect taxes to be paid every time you exited no? Paper trails , things being written down on the ins and outs.

Complying with all that and getting beaten up by the spread both ways ? No thanks . If I own a store and get the stuff below melt from the public , then sell it to the public at over melt I'd give it a shot. Maybe as a vest pocket guy that keeps no records of anything ?

I do think the GSR is utterly meaningless since they lost control of the price of gold. Its the metal investors version of astrology

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

gold is the only safe haven. platinum is relatively cheap now and will remain relatively cheap. gold could touch 1,600 in the next 6 weeks, I have enough silver, it's too heavy and bulky

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    gold is the only safe haven. platinum is relatively cheap now and will remain relatively cheap. gold could touch 1,600 in the next 6 weeks, I have enough silver, it's too heavy and bulky

platinum is a worse thing to own than plutonium . At least with plutonium you get poisoned to death , thats a thrill of sorts . Owning platinum is a much slower less exciting death of boredom .

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fasten your PM seatbelts.... Gold goes down.... now rises....Silver as well..... Rock and roll...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

If I owned Gold...… , I'd sell it.

COA
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tneig said:

Why? It's not like the government is going to start acting fiscally responsible.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

these trade war gains could be short lived

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019 5:08PM

I'm excited when it goes up but who am I kidding.
    I couldn't sell my collection if gold doubled. :s

If I had bullion laying around it would be different.
    Probably still wouldn't sell yet.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    I'm excited when it goes up but who am I kidding.
    I couldn't sell my collection if gold doubled. :s

If I had bullion laying around it would be different.
    Probably still wouldn't sell yet.

I like to have a bullion stack and a coin collection.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019 6:48PM

I sell on the way down, not on the way up.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

@1970s said:

@bronco2078 said:

@coinpalice said:

platinum is a worse thing to own than plutonium . At least with plutonium you get poisoned to death , thats a thrill of sorts . Owning platinum is a much slower less exciting death of boredom .

I own one platinum coin, and I really like it. Not as much as gold, as I own much more gold.
    But I do really like this coin.

DAMN DIRTY APE!!!!!!!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry guys... I like all three! (gold, silver and platinum) :D>:)

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

And Palladium.
    I am quite content OWNING precious metals, at this time.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tneig said:

You already did back in the $1200s as I recall.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes he did, I remember like yesterday-weak hands

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2019 4:27PM

@asheland said:
    Sorry guys... I like all three! (gold, silver and platinum) :D>:)

@MilesWaits said:
    And Palladium.
    I am quite content OWNING precious metals, at this time.

Don't forget Rhodium,, it jumped another 1+% today while the other PGMs languished a bit.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@tneig said:

You already did back in the $1200s as I recall.

LOL - people here hardly forget anything...and aren't afraid to call things out :D

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The beauty of the zombie thread is it shows our track records...
    And gives us guidance on whose advice to consider going forward.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold $1519
    Platinum $836
    Difference $683!!

Well, at least my platinum credit card still enjoys more prestige.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2021 8:54PM

@MLBdays said:
    I'd swap it all for platinum and make sure my Glock 9mm safety was off....

Please tell me what model Glock has a safety?.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    I'd go straight to my local PM dealer and swap the entire stash for silver and platinum (in a 50-50 split), based on the very attractive ratios.

The swap would be tempting. Problem is the 10% or so transaction cost.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Glock in your sweat pants when clubbing, hopefully!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:

It's worth it.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:

It's worth it.

Maybe or maybe not. The Platinum vs Gold trade has looked good for several years but would have been a loser each time. Seems that commodity, currency and equity prices are no longer decided in open markets but in Davos over a few days each Winter.

Caveat Emptor.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:

It's worth it.

Maybe or maybe not. The Platinum vs Gold trade has looked good for several years but would have been a loser each time. Seems that commodity, currency and equity prices are no longer decided in open markets but in Davos over a few days each Winter.

Caveat Emptor.

platinum always looks good on paper. Physical platinum is trash , get hammered on the spread and suffer through no liquidity . Sure if you are patient you can execute trades but why bother when if you had gold or silver you would have entered and exited 5 times while your 1 oz platinum languishes on the BST for months waiting for the one fool ready to throw money at it.

• Options

Platinum is for people whose main complaint is they are not yet totally onboard with killing themselves and need something to tip them over the edge

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

I achieved my lifetime goals for gold and silver stacking this year. A slow sell off is part of my retirement plan.

If I were to do anything, other than stand pat, it would be trade silver for more gold.

I avoid platinum and palladium.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had a magic wand, I'd ban "ifs".

• Options

gold is moving upwards so dump it in favor of disastrous platinum and heartbreaking silver ? take a 15% haircut in the moment

pain trade

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

Platinum is for people whose main complaint is they are not yet totally onboard with killing themselves and need something to tip them over the edge

I just bought some platinum. :'(

• Options
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better to have skin in the game than to sit on the couch and speculate.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking last night that today's drop would happen in the next couple of days. I woke up this morning planning to sell. I guess I held my gold flip 1 day too long.

I do not have an idea where it will go from here. As I have said, I cannot predict tweets.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Better to have skin in the game than to sit on the couch and speculate.

Until you realize your skin is still in the game, but you are not.