Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Picked up another cool engraved piece: a pictorial love token on 1868 quarter-eagle

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it looks like I'll be doing another side collection of love tokens again. I keep building these, then selling them to feed my primary "Eclectic Box" collection, but then I find myself drawn again to the quirky folk art or interesting provenance on some love token. I guess they've kind of gotten in my blood.

I saw this one for sale a couple of years ago but didn't have the money. Lo and behold, it reappeared on eBay again recently, and I bid around spot price, and won. I'm happy, because pictorial love tokens on gold host coins are rare.

The artistry on this one is not sublime, but it has a folksy charm to it. Given the "hatching chick" motif, it was almost certainly a christening token, and I would wager that "E. F. D.", whoever he or she was, was likely born in 1868. We'll never know, of course, but these pieces always present some fun little mysteries like that. And sometimes the mysteries can be solved, and the coin gives up its fascinating backstory. That won't happen here, with just a set of initials to go on, but it's a pictorial carving on a mid-19th century gold coin, which in itself makes it worth having.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool love tokens LordM.... That last one was a serendipitous find.... both in the initials and the morning commute. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, and a very unusual border design. Do you think that it had one particular border design, and then for whatever reason had another border design carved or punched over it?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Very nice, and a very unusual border design. Do you think that it had one particular border design, and then for whatever reason had another border design carved or punched over it?

I don't think the border design was reworked, but it is kind of unusual, now that you mention it. I didn't pay it enough notice, as that crude chickie's folksy charm drew most of my attention.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily one of the coolest love tokens I've ever seen. Neat piece. Awesome pickup, Lord.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like those pictorial ones!

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great posts! Cool and thanks for sharing!!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file