Home Precious Metals
Options

Sorta newbie to precious metals question on Silver vs Gold

SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started years ago buying ASE because I thought it was fun and my IRA was doing so terribly I wanted something different. I haven't been very consistent about buying so I only have maybe 18-20oz. I realize in the grand scheme of things this isn't really a quantity to make any dent against an IRA loss or something anyway so really it's mostly for fun I suppose.

My question is. I don't really own much gold. I have one 1/10 oz AGE that I won here in a raffle that I will keep for my collection. I'm wondering though, should I consider trading in all my silver and getting some gold instead? I like the look of the gold and it's obviously smaller to store in my safe than a stack of silver. I'm just not sure it makes much difference financially since I'm not talking about 1000oz of silver like a lot of you guys and girls have.

Thanks for any advice.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Silver to Gold Ratio says silver is no question currently the best bang for the buck. I would focus on more silver.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to have some of both.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver was always just the gateway to gold and in the end everyone should want gold over silver. I do believe gold will rise from here but personally I am not a buyer at these prices.

History of the GSR ratio indicates you should be buying silver right now but who knows what the future holds. If I were in your shoes I'd probably just keep buying ASEs and wait for the ratio to drop then swap for some of the good stuff. Good luck!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

Thanks for the replies! Since I'm not dealing in large quantities or money anyway, would it make more sense to just roll the silver over into getting something like a slabbed Liberty Head $2.50 gold coin that would fit in my type set? I know it's not the same quantity of gold, but maybe it's a better investment in the long run?

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

The best thing for you would be to sell everything you have and really do yourself a favor and completely forget about it, maybe do one of those men in black memory eraser thingys... then move forward...

keceph `anah
  • Options

@rawteam1 You mean the flashy thing? Why you gotta keep doing the flashy thing. What if I get brain cancer or something?

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can say is back in August 2018 I started buying gold mainly because I was TIRED of seeing silver sit and sit and sit...….
    In that time frame my gold has gone up ~$300/oz. Granted I only bought 6 "generic" Buffalo Gold coins, but that same investment in silver would not have been so profitable. I'm a gold fan even though I still sit on some silver too.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have both gold and silver.... but I have been stacking for a long time, and did a lot of gold back at $300+/oz.. Gives me a warm feeling to see prices rising again.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I could ...straight swap.... Half a bag of 90% and a monster box .......without having to pack and ship ..... for gold, it would be done ...TODAY.
    Or Monday.

Silver is, has been, and always will be... POOR man's gold.

30+ years in the coin bizz. :s

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I get more pleasure owning gold, but when on a budget, silver makes sense. There’s not a soul on earth who can tell you where prices will be in 1 year, 5 years or further down. I buy what is liquid and my family can sell with ease when the good lord calls me home.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyers "on a budget" were my bane.
    "Budget" and metal stacking seldom mix well. They were the most vulnerable to the market and most likely to have to sell when things got tough and prices were falling.

I mean, go ahead (you may anyhow) but on a ....budget.... I think I'd be more prone to speculate on buying nice, popular guns.
    :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SiriusBlack ....Definitely RickO Approved..... :) Cheers, RickO

• Options

Funny story on mine. I bought it stock brand new. Guy at the gun shop was going to do some work on it for me, changing out the hammer and stuff (I kept getting hammer bite) Well, he got it all disassembled and in a moment of dumbness he forgot all the parts in his truck one night and yes it was all stolen. So he owned me a gun. He found a frame, and sat down with me and ordered everything I wanted individual and built it all. So I got a full custom build for the price of an entry level stock!

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

The amount you have isn't enough to be considered more than a small collectors amount, a hobby, or for fun. So in one respect it doesn't matter how much you move it around or into one form or another. However why buy high. Gold is high right now, wait for it to drop back to $1300. Same with silver $17 to $14.50. If you had gold right now, be a good time to switch it to silver, but since you don't you can buy silver anytime as an addition.

If you really think about going way further for speculative investing, hedging against the US dollar, suddenly getting rich, and how to liquidate, then that is an entirely different ball park and should be thought out in more detail in terms of goals, amounts, and risk levels. Keeping that in mind there is a lot to be learned on this site.

COA
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2019 1:26PM

@tneig said:
    The amount you have isn't enough to be considered more than a small collectors amount, a hobby, or for fun. So in one respect it doesn't matter how much you move it around or into one form or another. However why buy high. Gold is high right now, wait for it to drop back to $1300. Same with silver $17 to $14.50. If you had gold right now, be a good time to switch it to silver, but since you don't you can buy silver anytime as an addition.

If you really think about going way further for speculative investing, hedging against the US dollar, suddenly getting rich, and how to liquidate, then that is an entirely different ball park and should be thought out in more detail in terms of goals, amounts, and risk levels. Keeping that in mind there is a lot to be learned on this site.

How do you know that silver and gold are high right now? If I knew which direction precious metals were heading I’d give up my day job.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a day job ...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

SiriusB--Don't lament. You've probably done pretty well with your Rollei and those M cameras. Nice collection and you are able to make art with them.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    I don't have a day job ...

Neither do I

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I converted most of my silver to gold in December. Best decision I have made since I started stacking PMs. Constitutional silver still holds a place in my heart though.