Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankees to play White Sox at iconic ‘Field of Dreams’ location in 2020

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 8, 2019 11:39AM in Sports Talk

Better get seats the minute they're released.

"Major League Baseball is going to build it — and the White Sox and Yankees are coming to Iowa.

The Chicago White Sox will play the New York Yankees next summer at the site in eastern Iowa where the movie “Field of Dreams” was filmed, MLB announced Thursday. The game is set for Aug. 13 in Dyersville, which is about 200 miles west of Chicago.

A temporary 8,000-seat stadium will be built on the site to accommodate the first major league game played in Iowa."
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/yankees-to-play-white-six-at-iconic-field-of-dreams-location-in-2020-2019-08-08?mod=mw_latestnews

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elizabeth Warren can scalp some tickets.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be the silliest sports idea I've ever heard of in my life. I mean "Field of Dreams" was simply a prop, a baseball field built for a fictional movie. It has no historical baseball meaning whatsoever.

But I guess if MLB wishes to do a publicity stunt, then they're going to do it. And likely it will work because the Hollywood movie producer will love it and get involved in the promotion because of the money.

Perhaps if some Hollywood elite are there at the game, they might even stand for the National Anthem? Of course it wouldn't be out of respect for our flag, but for deference of money.

The idea of playing MLB games in states or areas where MLB hasn't ever been played before, is an interesting concept. However I would think that doing so at minor league baseball, college baseball or even high school baseball fields where baseball games have actually been played, would be much more worthwhile.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Might be the silliest sports idea I've ever heard of in my life. I mean "Field of Dreams" was simply a prop, a baseball field built for a fictional movie. It has no historical baseball meaning whatsoever.

But I guess if MLB wishes to do a publicity stunt, then they're going to do it. And likely it will work because the Hollywood movie producer will love it and get involved in the promotion because of the money.

Perhaps if some Hollywood elite are there at the game, they might even stand for the National Anthem? Of course it wouldn't be out of respect for our flag, but for deference of money.

The idea of playing MLB games in states or areas where MLB hasn't ever been played before, is an interesting concept. However I would think that doing so at minor league baseball, college baseball or even high school baseball fields where baseball games have actually been played, would be much more worthwhile.

Playing a MLB game on a former Negro Leagues field would be a much better idea out of respect for all those black players.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll like it IF and ONLY IF there is no wall and the outfielders can run into the corn to make catches. Then I'm down.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@stevek

Did you ever see Field of Dreams?

I ask because it’s a pretty great film for many reasons so watch it if you never saw it. And I think some of the great baseball films (The Natural, Eight Men Out, Bull Durham, Pride of the Yankees, The Sandlot, Bad News Bears, The Man with the Golden Arm, etc) are sort of woven into the fabric of baseball history, to varying degrees. I get what you mean about it being fiction but you have Shoeless Joe Jackson and a few other historic figures as major characters in the book. And while everyone cites the catch at the end, when Burt Lancaster crosses the chalk to save Kevin Costner’s daughter and ‘can’t go back’ I lose it. Every time. Since the first time I saw it until the most recent viewing. :wink:

I think baseball in Iowa is a great idea and I hope they stick with a corn field wall.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@stevek said:

@stevek

Did you ever see Field of Dreams?

I ask because it’s a pretty great film for many reasons so watch it if you never saw it. And I think some of the great baseball films (The Natural, Eight Men Out, Bull Durham, Pride of the Yankees, The Sandlot, Bad News Bears, The Man with the Golden Arm, etc) are sort of woven into the fabric of baseball history, to varying degrees. I get what you mean about it being fiction but you have Shoeless Joe Jackson and a few other historic figures as major characters in the book. And while everyone cites the catch at the end, when Burt Lancaster crosses the chalk to save Kevin Costner’s daughter and ‘can’t go back’ I lose it. Every time. Since the first time I saw it until the most recent viewing. :wink:

I think baseball in Iowa is a great idea and I hope they stick with a corn field wall.

Yes, i saw the movie, and it was a good movie. I liked it. However it was a FICTIONAL MOVIE for crying out loud.

Admittedly, my viewpoint against this idea is biased towards the current way that way too many in Hollywood these days treat our flag and national anthem with such total disrespect.

All that being said, I still strongly believe that playing such a game at one of the other ball fields mentioned, would have been a far better idea.

I'm not sure if any of those Negro League fields still exist. But the idea of playing a MLB game on one of those fields is an absolute no brainer. Should have been done a long time ago. Perhaps it has been done but I just didn't know about it. If it's already been done, then why not do it again? I think the descendants of these Negro League players would be deeply honored by that.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Loved the movie. Wish i could get tickets.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2019 4:55AM

And I bet we have yet another 'remake' movie coming for it cause Hollywood just sucks.