Home Precious Metals
Options

1500 Centenarios Stolen in Mexico

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-49259673

Guess the recent gold prices have the robbers all hot and bothered too.

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, how terrible !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

You had me at “stolen in Mexico.”

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty crazy, according to the article there were two men who over powered a single guard and took his firearm.
    I would have thought the Mexican mint would have a bit more security!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Investigators suspect some employees of the mint could have been involved in the raid, La Vanguardia reported.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Yeah, “overpowered” might be a bit of an exaggeration.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2019 6:58AM

Kitco version says they stuffed A backpack. That would be a pretty heavy backpack at 1.2+oz per coin and over 1500 of them. Details are sketchy as is perhaps the heist.

https://kitco.com/news/2019-08-06/Armed-Robbers-In-Mexico-Steal-Gold-Coins-From-Government-Coin-Maker.html

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The weight issue alone makes me question this entire report...That backpack would be over 100 pounds.... not impossible though... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    The weight issue alone makes me question this entire report...That backpack would be over 100 pounds.... not impossible though... Cheers, RickO

I dont know, I had hell of a time with my 85 pound RUCK. If that "backpack" is capable of holding 100 pounds and can be lugged around easily, I'll take two.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure would be funny if 1500 counterfeit 1907 High Relief $20's suddenly turned up on the market!

:)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway ... :D With the Omega mark.......Cheers, RickO