Home Metal Detecting
Options

Is there a Button expert in the house! Brass & Pewter German button needs identification

CCDAMEEKCCDAMEEK Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
edited August 5, 2019 6:38PM in Metal Detecting

I posted this in my finds thread, but thought I might get wider coverage in a separate post.

I found this amazing button at an 1850 homesite in upstate New York yesterday. It depicts a pack of dogs attacking a wild boar, and is made of Pewter with brass outer ring.

There is a back-stamp that reads "EINGETR MUSTER * W. L. R. * " , WHICH IS SHORTENED IN GERMAN from "EINGETRAGEN MUSTER", WHICH TRANSLATES TO
"REGISTERED PATTERN", like a trademark.

But I can't find anything about the * W.L.R. *, or about this incredible scene that depicts a pack of dogs attacking a Boar.

Believe it to be at least of Victorian area. Know it must be from Germany. But would like to narrow age, and possible find out the manufacturer and pattern name, if it's possible.

Oh how I LOVE this hobby!

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

Current equipment: Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030.
Pin-ponters: Garrett Propointer AT; Minelab Pro Find 35

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

German troops fought with the British in the war of 1812... so possibly a remnant of a German uniform or other attire.....Just a guess since it is historically possible in that area...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Hessian button finds all had references to crazy King Ludwig. But they are all revolutionary period. That obv looks very nice, can you do an OCR search of that design? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    My Hessian button finds all had references to crazy King Ludwig. But they are all revolutionary period. That obv looks very nice, can you do an OCR search of that design? Peace Roy

Pardon my mind, but what does OCR stand for?

I have done a photo search on Google, and actually found one just like it for sale for $65.00. But the item description has absolutely NO information about the button.

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

• Options

Object character recognition. Software used to recognize known shapes. Used when scanning stuff.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Oh. Pretty sure my HP DeskJet scanner can't do that! ;) But you made me research that. Found a free online scanner and it determined the photo was that of a silver & brown tone plate on a mostly brown table. LOL

• Options

I didn't mean to imply that just scanning an object recognizes it. There has to be a database of possible knowns that it can compare it to, similar to EZpass license plate readers. Peace Roy

• Options

I found the same button on Etsy for $7.50. Same markings on rev too. Peace Roy

• Options
    edited August 9, 2019 5:59PM

@Namvet69 said:
    I found the same button on Etsy for $7.50. Same markings on rev too. Peace Roy

Yes, I saw that! Great find. I Also saw one on a private "button dealer" website listed for $65.00. I'm really more interested in who the manufacturer might be, and when it was made. Neither one gave any description other than the back stamp info.

Don't plan on selling buttons. Appreciate your time searching though, Thank You!