Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rosemarygomez spammer

maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd
Please note the spam being blasted today.

Comments

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Si,
    I received the same message.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not from that name though...

Must be a multi-pronged attack. >:)

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got one too. Didn't open it.

• kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

I accidentally left my computer on and browser open last night. This morning there was a new tab open on a suspicious looking website, with some "click to cancel" window, which I could not kill without "end process" on the browser, etc. Finally cleared that all up. I had this forum and a couple other tabs open. Did anybody else on here have this happen? I did not get any spam messages, but this topic causes me to wonder if my problem also originated here.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

On August 4, 2019 at 10:22AM, I also received spam from RosemaryGomez.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not receive this spam... I did get the previous one...looks as if someone has targeted the forum ... My previous message has disappeared now....Likely the admins cleared it. Cheers, RickO

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one also and clicked out of group.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add RickyTerryT to the list.

Collector, occasional seller

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Add RickyTerryT to the list.

Yep just hit with the same spam

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, got one today from RickyTerryT too !!! :s

Timbuk3

This makes two for me.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just posted a different thread... probably related. "Tokens from AnitartHopkins"...

spam... ughhh!!! and not the type that goes well with pineapple!! ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Same here

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eagleguy said:
    Add AnitartHopkins to the spam list

I just got that one too. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

The spammers are still at large. I just got another one about 20 minutes ago.

Call SPAMBUSTERS

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure ... I don't get any of the eBay bonus bucks alerts but I get all the spam! Dang! LOL

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally found the "ignore" feature useful.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    A spambot figured out how to register and send PMs. Our hosts will need to update their spambot countermeasures today and delete all the accounts that were created (there were probably many more than you're seeing). Perhaps hide the "who's online" display behind a "show who's online" button, add an ungooglable challenge question at registration, and allow PMs only after posting to the boards a few times.

I wonder how much $$$$ that will cost?

If I were a programmer for PCGS, I would sneak a bot on to the forum and than get paid to update and eliminate the problem ...until the next time I needed some money for a coin. >:)

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gomez is Gonemez.

SPAMBUSTED!

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got spammed by user 'AntiartHopkins'. They already had the 'user banned' avatar, so it looks like Heather got them already.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a couple of different ones here, too-Ricky Terryt and AnitartHopkins.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    I just got spammed by user 'AntiartHopkins'. They already had the 'user banned' avatar, so it looks like Heather got them already.

I received that one as well. I would think that most internet users would know by now, not to click any of that spamming/scamming chit on a forum, email, etc.

As far as keeping it off CU, I know that the major "off the shelf" forum providers such as vBulletin, Xenforo, etc, have spam catching software based on blacklisted IP addresses, etc, and it works very well.

CU being a custom made forum of which I know nothing about their software, could possibly also subscribe to this or perhaps use devices such as CAPTCHA to eliminate most spammers from signing up.

All that being said, if a motivated human spammer is intent on signing up on a particular forum, then they are going to be able to do it. The key is for no forum members to ever respond to it, and for the spammer to be removed quickly. The spammer may try it a few other times with different names, but they usually soon tire of it if they're not successful, and move on to try to find a forum that's a softer target for their criminal activities.

This discussion has been closed.