Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need help identifying this Washington medal

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 1, 2019 8:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Picked this up a few days ago.Can't seem to find anything on it from searching on the web. It measures about 1" in diameter. Reverse rim cud@10oclock.

The surfaces are proof like. Had a bit of tape residue or lacquer on the reverse. I soaked it in acetone and it dissolved. This is the before pic I took with my phone. Will take a better pic later on.Thanks.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like bronze, is it non magnetic? Weight?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Looks like bronze, is it non magnetic? Weight?

Its copper or bronze and non magnetic.
    11.91g

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2019 9:08AM

Look up Baker#284: Medallic Portraits of Washington,

@Insider2 said:
    Look up Baker#284: Medallic Portraits of Washington,

Bingo! Thats the one. I see it listed as B-284a, it seems the obverse die is the same as B-284 but different reverse. Thanks.

So this is a Lovett medal?

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS recognizes it with the attribution of GW-514. According to the newest reference on the topic, only 18 pieces were struck in copper.

@cardinal said:
    PCGS recognizes it with the attribution of GW-514. According to the newest reference on the topic, only 18 pieces were struck in copper.

Very interesting Cardinal. I found it on contacts with that info.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/c-1863-medal-gw-514-copper-1st-obv-lovetts-family-arms-rb/660431

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinJP said:

@cardinal said:

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/c-1863-medal-gw-514-copper-1st-obv-lovetts-family-arms-rb/660431

Congrats! That's a very nice medal you have!

@cardinal said:

@coinJP said:

@cardinal said:

Congrats! That's a very nice medal you have!

Thank you Cardinal!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice medal.... I keep looking in the antique shops and other venues at old medals, hoping to find a special one... so far, nada, zilch, diddely squat...like my hunt for cheap sterling... :/ Oh well... on with the quest... Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Very nice medal.... I keep looking in the antique shops and other venues at old medals, hoping to find a special one... so far, nada, zilch, diddely squat...like my hunt for cheap sterling... :/ Oh well... on with the quest... Cheers, RickO

Thanks Ricko! Keep searching, there is still great stuff out there. Ebay is my hunting ground.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2019 5:48PM

Looks like a Robert Lovett, Jr. obverse not his brother George H. Lovett.

Baker considered it a Rarity-5.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • tokenprotokenpro Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Musante attributes the piece to George H. Lovett - Lovett himself is sourced as indicating 16 pieces were struck in copper.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file