Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone know how to shrink a Dollar Bill?

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 31, 2019 4:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Yes, I know this belongs on the currency forum which it is but this is cool and someone might enjoy seeing this shrunken REAL US Dollar Bill.
I bought this shrunken dollar years ago at a show and I always wondered how it was done. I know it was a chemical reaction but does anyone know what chemical and the steps to do it? I would like to try it if the chemicals won't kill me and if it is not illegal?

GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options

OK, I never remember this until after the fact but any time I ask my son something he tells me to "GOOGLE IT" so I did.
    https://youtu.be/QEtO3_iq8r4

• Options
    edited July 31, 2019 5:43PM

Thanks that is good advice,,,,,, I did not know it was used to make Meth!

I actually grew up on a farm and used Anhydrous Ammonia as a fertilizer on corn which greatly increased the yield. It comes out as a gas under high pressure and drips a small amount of liquid but I don't know how you would convert it to a liquid and be able to use it. If you ever get a wiff of it, it will suck all the air out of your lungs and you can't breathe. It will also burn your skin and is pretty nasty stuff.

I guess that I will have to scrap this idea. :/

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2019 5:31PM

Anhydrous ammonia is cool stuff. I had a tank of it when I was doing my graduate thesis years ago. 6NH3 + SiCl4 --> Si(NH)2 + 4NH4Cl. The silicon diimide is a precursor to silicon nitride when heated above 1000C.

Had to do everything inside an inert atmosphere glove box. Interesting thing was the NH3 turned the copper tubing blue. Too bad blast white coins were preferred at the time. I could have made a fortune toning Indian cents the blue color that everybody seems to want today :D

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Texast said:
    DO NOT! I repeat, Do Not go to a chemical supply store looking to buy Anhydrous Ammonia, if you do you may not make it out of the door before you are ARRESTED!

Anhydrous Ammonia is one of the main chemicals used in the production of Methamphetamine, it is also mainly used as a fertilizer in crop production. if you are not a farmer growing such crops and you try to get anhydrous ammonia which you would purchase by a tanker full at a time you will get arrested for conspiracy to manufacture Schedule 1 Narcotics. It is a very controlled chemical that you don't want to mess with just to shrink a dollar bill. You've been warned.

Yeah, it killed me that I bought some Sudafed once and had to show ID. I thought they kept it behind the counter because people were stealing it, not because it was a precursor to meth, lol.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

75% cotton, 25% linen is the material content of a FRN.

I'm going to stay away from this chemical; and isn't shrinking a FRN a defacement of currency?

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Visit www.secretservice.gov for additional information.

Hate it when it comes to any type of clothes; i.e., if it wasn't pre-shrunk then you got a shirt 1-2 sizes smaller. :D

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I reached a point in my photography where I need to get potassium cyanide. Apparently that’s going to require a business license and some hoops to jump though which I haven’t wanted to bother with so for the moment I’ve kinda put that process on the back burner.

Plus, you know, cyanide......

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

check with the Federal Reserve. They've been shrinking them for over 100 years.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would hot water wash and a hot dryer work? Seriously.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:

I await the results of your experiment,,,,,,, let us know if it works.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool .... its a Mini Me :D why would you need more shrunk bills? Should I send you a new bigger wallet? :)

• Options

I wanted a set of $1 - $2 - $5 - $10 - $20 - $50 & $100 bills,,,

,> @Paradisefound said:

Cool .... its a Mini Me :D why would you need more shrunk bills? Should I send you a new bigger wallet? :)

Only if you fill it with $100 bills before sending it ;)

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a shrunken 'one' on fleabay for 50 bucks !

• Options

That is exactly right, the note is stiff and thicker than normal.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fred - Excellent information! Should be incorporated into a reference so that the truth will be known fro future collectors.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    I'm the source for 98% of these shrunken US FRN's.

A person used a lab at UCLA to shrink them with some
    type of liquid chemical - it shrunk the note, didn't distort
    the designs, and about the only way you could tell they
    were not printed exactly like that was because the 'starch'
    that shrunk the notes left them a bit 'stiff' (like starching a shirt)
    and thicker than a normal note, which makes sense, because
    it's the same amount of paper on a normal sized note, but
    now smaller.

I bought them for about 12-15 years, always providing the
    person with crisp packs of notes to use in the process.

We did other denominations too, including some 8-subject
    sheets from the BEP.

I haven't bought them in over 6-8 years, as the 'source' has
    disappeared.

Hope this info and background helps

Hope your "source" isn't in the Fed Pen.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, not at all.

He, or I never had a problem - they were sold as
    novelty items; never spent as genuine bills, although
    they could have.

No different, imo, than a colorized note.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a young fellow, we would take new bills and repeatedly crumple and crush them (no chemicals), and then when unfolded they would be noticeably smaller ....Not as small as those ammonia treated bills though... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    I'm the source for 98% of these shrunken US FRN's.

A person used a lab at UCLA to shrink them with some
    type of liquid chemical - it shrunk the note, didn't distort
    the designs, and about the only way you could tell they
    were not printed exactly like that was because the 'starch'
    that shrunk the notes left them a bit 'stiff' (like starching a shirt)
    and thicker than a normal note, which makes sense, because
    it's the same amount of paper on a normal sized note, but
    now smaller.

I bought them for about 12-15 years, always providing the
    person with crisp packs of notes to use in the process.

We did other denominations too, including some 8-subject
    sheets from the BEP.

I haven't bought them in over 6-8 years, as the 'source' has
    disappeared.

Hope this info and background helps

Last seen September, 2013.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sean, I don't recognize the person last seen ??

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2019 5:46PM

That's Heisenberg Fred.
    Walter White from 'Breaking Bad'........

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW these days $100 bills shrink faster than $1 bills ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@oih82w8 said:

I await the results of your experiment,,,,,,, let us know if it works.

Naw, That's laundering money :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

It is too bad bills can't be shrunk without using a chemical used to make drugs,,,,,,, the mini bills are neat and the detail remains as good as in the large bill.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Occasionally a few bills go through my washer and sometimes dryer. Do they look cleaner? Maybe. But you know what they say about cleaning money......don't do it. Oh yeah, and the joke around here is when you find the bills have been washed, someone always says,"Oh you're laundering money again!"

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care so much about physical size. I care about value.
    If we keep printing money like we have for the past few decades, the value of the dollar will go to heck.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    I don't care so much about physical size. I care about value.
    If we keep printing money like we have for the past few decades, the value of the dollar will go to heck.

Yep. Although I usually say the dollar was doomed in 1913.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file