Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on 1880-CC Morgan - Updated

AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 6, 2019 6:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've got an opportunity to purchase this coin but no chance to see it in hand prior. Graded MS64. How does it rate for the grade? I'm not a Morgan guy...
(I've asked if it has been submitted to CAC but will like get a "not to my knowledge" response.) Thanks.

Smitten with DBLCs.

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a solid 64 to me. I wouldn't worry about cac, its just a sticker. If you like the coin, buy the coin. Good luck!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to my knowledge, heard that before.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you’re not a “Morgan guy”, why are you considering it? It looks as if it might be a tad lackluster and nothing special, it an OK coin.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

For the record, I don't give a hoot about CAC when it comes to my early copper collection. The Morgan, if I bought it, however, would be a value play so I do care about anything that may impact that value. The owner has come back, by the way, to say that it has never been submitted to CAC.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    If you’re not a “Morgan guy”, why are you considering it? It looks as if it might be a tad lackluster and nothing special, it an OK coin.

Simply because there may be an opportunity to get it a very reasonable price. And, truth be told, Morgans do have a certain attraction that's hard to resist...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2019 4:15PM

@Aotearoa said:

@MFeld said:

Simply because there may be an opportunity to get it a very reasonable price. And, truth be told, Morgans do have a certain attraction that's hard to resist...

There are almost always opportunities to acquire coins at very reasonable prices. So how you feel about this one, in particular, should probably be of more importance. Unless you’re unable to look at coins and buy on a sight-seen basis, why bother with this this one, sight-unseen?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Aotearoa said:

@MFeld said:

There are almost always opportunities to acquire coins at very reasonable prices. So how you feel about this one, in particular, should probably be of more importance. Unless you’re unable to look at coins and buy on a sight-seen basis, why bother with this this one, sight-unseen?

You're pushing back harder than necessary, mate. And that's coming from one of your regular customers.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

You asked, he gave very thoughtful advise.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy Carson City Morgan dollars and I would pass on this one. It appears to be lacking luster. In fact it appears to be dull.

• Options

@lcoopie said:
    You asked, he gave very thoughtful advise.

I asked about the coin.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 6 mark wise that was graded 64 due to subdued luster. Not a bad coin at all.

• Options

@AlexinPA said:
    I buy Carson City Morgan dollars and I would pass on this one. It appears to be lacking luster. In fact it appears to be dull.

That was my initial reaction, as well. The buyer claims it looks different in hand but I wouldn't establish my offer around that promise. Thanks.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

It looks correctly graded although I find the two spots on the obverse field distracting.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, and think it a mid-64, but a very nice coin!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really free of bagmarks which is somewhat unusual for CC dollars, but the lack of luster in the pic would be concerning.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2019 8:06PM

It is really nice a solid for the grade A or B coin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

At a value of $625.00 in its current state and assuming he is getting it for less could this be a good specimen to dip to remove all that dust and possibly reveal a 65? Just curious.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hypothesis of course and in some order. First and foremost it graded a 64 (and as lack luster) and is the same color as my very used home air filter secondly, the fields have that consistent cream filled appearance that contrasts with the devices. I experienced quite the opposite earlier with a quarter that exhibits great luster but a weak strike. Maybe, I'm about to learn another lesson but, I find it hard to believe that this particular coin struck this well has no luster. I believe its hiding.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2019 9:51PM

OGH too <3 maybe CAC qualifier

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a 64- :#

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's ok for a 64

• Options

The price was too sweet not to pull the trigger. I’m pleased to see the coin showing more lustre in hand than is seen in the TV. Please excuse the poor iPhone pics.

Smitten with DBLCs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file