Home Precious Metals

Almost $5 million worth of gold bars seized at Heathrow Airport

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

If these were an attempt to launder drug money then great, anything to screw those people is fine!

However, do the authorities have proof that it represents drug money? If you get stopped by the police or TSA carrying, say, $50,000 in cash, they automatically assume that it is drug money and seize it. I know coin dealers who carry large amounts of cash to coin shows to make purchases with. It's not drug money. Do the authorities care?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Do the authorities care?

Past asset seizures of cash indicate they do not care, they just want the money. Guilty until proven innocent.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

And many times even when you can prove innocence... it is still a battle to get assets back.

----- kj
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

In this gold case, I hope there is some solid evidence that there is criminal activity, instead of just the presence of gold bars....

----- kj
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2019 9:32AM

it is suspicious to fly to may places, especially in the Caribbean, before heading to a final location. Drug couriers do this. I'm not sure why they think this works. It just raises suspicions now that the move is known.

admittedly, it does not prove anything illegal is happening.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to carry large amounts of cash in a money belt.... always worked...now, with screening at the airport, I have to use a different method at that point...the belt is still good other times. Cheers, RickO

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much cash could you get in a money belt? I wouldn't think it would be all that much.

@ricko said:
    I used to carry large amounts of cash in a money belt.... always worked...now, with screening at the airport, I have to use a different method at that point...the belt is still good other times. Cheers, RickO

GrandAm :)

@GRANDAM....My last trip through the airport some years ago...before the x-ray etc... I carried $13500 in the money belt...I was moving from Seattle to NYS....I also shipped in my moving belongings, another mega$$$ cash,,,,,Cheers, RickO

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! I would have never thought it would hold that much. It must have been thicker than a normal belt.

GrandAm :)
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2019 6:38PM

@ricko back in the day :D

Let’s be honest though, ricko would definitely have better trigger discipline....

@ShadyDave.... Definitely I have much better trigger discipline....and a much different money belt...@GRANDAM...No, not too thick... $100 bills...Comfortable and non obtrusive. Cheers, RickO