Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wanted: Proof Set Tissue & Pouches

HistmanHistman Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Please move if it is.

I am hoping someone out there has the Paper Tissue and Cellophane Pouches for a US Proof Set (50-55). I have a proof set I bought that has the coins and the box, but no tissue or pouches. If you have those and are willing to part with them, please let me know. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve handled a lot of those, and the cellophane generally died decades ago.
    Remember, that was not long term packaging like the Mint uses today. That was just shipping material. You were expected to take the coins out and put them in your holders of choice.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I have them in Air Tites, but all of my other sets have the OGP, so I'd like to find it if someone has it.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't imagine being able to remove the staple, remove the coin and put a coin back into that cellophane. That stuff is so crispy by now.
    I've seen little 'baggie' like sleeves that would be functional, but they're not that old, yellow cellophane.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck in your search, however, as mentioned above, the material has a shelf life, and generally has either disintegrated or is in very poor condition. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Good luck in your search, however, as mentioned above, the material has a shelf life, and generally have either disintegrated or is in very poor condition. Cheers, RickO

I know I'm swimming upriver on this, but the sets I've purchased in the past still have the pouches (completely yellow and crumbling) so I'd like to have them to just say the set is complete.

• Options

@thebeav said:
    I can't imagine being able to remove the staple, remove the coin and put a coin back into that cellophane. That stuff is so crispy by now.
    I've seen little 'baggie' like sleeves that would be functional, but they're not that old, yellow cellophane.

I've removed the staple from all of my other sets and put the coins in Air-Tites to preserve the coins and then put everything back in the box. I don't have any intention of putting the coins back in the cellophane. I know I'm swimming upriver here. :)

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like you might need to buy another set with the box, cellophane and tissue intact. Yeah, more coins!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I have a box with tissue and cello from a 1953 set in a drawer somewhere. I cut the cello to get the coins out and the box might be labeled 1953, I can't remember. Let me know if you want it.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    I think I have a box with tissue and cello from a 1953 set in a drawer somewhere. I cut the cello to get the coins out and the box might be labeled 1953, I can't remember. Let me know if you want it.

Sure, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file