Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Stolen collection

autigers34autigers34 Posts: 3

I won't go into the details, but my PSA graded card collection was stolen. It wasn't the greatest collection out there, but I was proud of it. Total value was probably in the $15K-$18K range.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? I'd guess if the cards hit the open market, I'll start to get notifications when buyers try to add them to the registry. I'm waiting on the police report to contact my homeowner's insurance. I have personal property insurance, but am not sure how they treat something like sports cards. Luckily, I did have my entire collection in the registry, so I have a record of what I owned.

I collected certain players. This made up the majority of my collection and was near 100% completion:

Hank Aaron Basic Topps
Pete Maravich Basic Topps
Reggie Jackson Basic Topps
Phil Niekro Basic Topps
Dale Murphy Basic
Bo Jackson Basic

These are my few most valuable cards in case someone sees something pop up. The Murphy Rookie graded 10 should be the most unique:

Card # Description Grade
128 1954 TOPPS 128 HENRY AARON 5
476 1977 TOPPS 476 ROOKIE CATCHERS DALE MURPHY 10
482 1980 TOPPS 482 RICKEY HENDERSON 9
260 1969 TOPPS 260 REGGIE JACKSON 7
123 1970 TOPPS 123 PETE MARAVICH 7

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear. That’s awful. Will keep an eye out.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2019 11:22AM

Sorry to hear about this,maybe contact any/all local card shops in your area to warn them that someone might try selling your collection that was recently stolen. Maybe even send them an inventory list by email in case someone tries selling just a few cards at a time. Also keep an eye on Craig's list for your area as well. If the thief doesn't know much about cards & values he's likely to try selling on ebay,Craig's list or a LCS. Good luck.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure the police report lists the cert numbers. I had a single card stolen and filed a report and had trouble getting them to list that information in the report.

Sorry for the loss of your cards.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear of this. I got robbed at gunpoint back in 2014, so I know what it feels like to have some low life take your property. I hope they catch the scum.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure you have all the certs still entered into your PSA set registry inventory. Probably not a great idea to share those certs here on your posts. File the police report while including the certs. Then provide a copy and/or list to the folks at PSA. If someone tries to add a cert to their registry, whether it is the initial thief or someone he flip sold to, PSA will know who has your card(s). That doesn't stop anyone from cracking them all out and selling raw or resubbing, of course, but it helps. Also, if a raw order comes in that contains the same list you provided, that grade in similar condition as to what they were when you had them prior to when a thief cracked them, then it would be awfully suspicious evidence which may provide probable cause for further investigation.

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Don't forget local pawn shops, antique stores, or coin dealers. My brother was robbed a few years ago and his PSA Jordan rookie was found at a pawn shop when the owner posted it on eBay.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

That is horrible! Please keep us posted. Will keep a look out.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Time4aGansett said:
    Don't forget local pawn shops, antique stores, or coin dealers. My brother was robbed a few years ago and his PSA Jordan rookie was found at a pawn shop when the owner posted it on eBay.

This reminds me of one more point: frequently check the completed auction sales like the data base PSA keeps on their website since they include the cert numbers from recent sales.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s stinks OP, sorry to hear that. I was dealing with a guy who was buying some cards off me and according to his registry set the ones he was buying from me were going to be doubles so out of curiosity I asked him about it and he told me he had a painter do some interior work for him at his house and the guy stole about 60K worth of cards, some were very tough high grade SP’s. Like others mentioned make sure you get the word out to your PD and card shops, and watch Ebay like a hawk

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the loss, hope you had a spreadsheet with the certification numbers. That will help tracking down the thief!

• Options

Thanks for all the comments. I got a call from the officer and he has completed the report and is passing it off to the detective today. Some of my wife's jewelry was taken too, so I hope given the value of what was taken they take it serious.

We had some work done recently in the house, so I have an idea of what happened. I'd bet the thief doesn't know the best way to unload what he has, but the cards will obviously start to hit the registry at some point.

Does anyone know if homeowners property insurance will cover the value of the cards? Like I mentioned, I had each one entered into the registry, so I have a record of what I owned. I'm waiting to received the police report before I contact my insurance provider.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2019 6:28AM

Awful to hear this. I wish for a speedy recovery of your collection.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually homeowners does not cover unless you have a specific rider.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Usually homeowners does not cover unless you have a specific rider.

I agree, but you need to talk to your insurance agent. When I had flood damage, I had $1,000 max coverage for collectibles. But I also had up to $1,000 coverage for tickets and paper items. So, they moved my ticket collection under that heading. Again, it was only $2,000 max coverage for me.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

homeowners unlikely to cover, unless you have a separate rider for the valuables. Do you have any pics of the stuff? We can be on the look out for you. Also, what city/state was this in?

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

I believe my homeowners insurance will cover up to $2,500 of jewelry and $2,500 of collectibles. Collectibles insurance is relatively inexpensive. Less than 1 percent of value for annual premium.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2019 9:34AM

Happened to me years ago when some graded packs were stolen. They ended up at a dealer in another state but only 70 miles away. He unknowingly listed them on ebay. I had the cert numbers and contacted him and he took them down and I recovered them with the help of the police. BTW the thieves were arrested and prosecuted. Keep an eye on ebay. Chances are the low life will take them somewhere to make a quick buck. Good chance they will show up on ebay.

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I had a small portable safe stolen with about $5000 worth of cards back in 2006. I did not have a special rider, nor were my cards in a registry or even graded, for the most part. Liberty Mutual did reimburse me $2500, based on a hand written list I submitted. That worked out fine for me, but I did not have near the $$ you had. Hopefully you can run down some of the bigger cards.

• Options
    autigers34autigers34 Posts: 3
    edited July 31, 2019 5:28AM

@HighGradeLegends said:
    homeowners unlikely to cover, unless you have a separate rider for the valuables. Do you have any pics of the stuff? We can be on the look out for you. Also, what city/state was this in?

Charlotte, NC

I've set up eBay searches for a few of the lower population cards. That Dale Murphy 1977 Topps graded 10 is probably the one that will throw the biggest red flag.