Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1071? Nickel, what do you think happened here? Error strike? Or damage?

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

wrapping machine damage imo

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

The letters are there, just the bottom halves
    are flattened from PMD - probably a counting
    or rolling machine -

but it's damage.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this coin. I had to look up 1071, what a year!

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree its damage.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will have to fix the camera first I am afraid.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2019 9:20AM

This was the first circulating coinage issued by Norman King William I after the conquest of Britain in 1066. The date is important because that was the beginning point of data collection of the King's demesne lands which later became part of a nationwide inventory of assets, commonly called the "Doomsday Book."

William also issued silver sceats from his private perfume factory on the Normandy coast, but that's another story.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely damage.... as Fred has stated...likely rolling machine....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Conita1218Conita1218 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Hard to see through the pixellation, but looks like damage. Probably a counting machine. You'll notice the bottom of Liberty is also missing. Circular damage like that is usually a counting machine.

What is the best camera to use for taking clearer pictures. I will check my settings. I also use a magnification app with a camera

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Conita1218 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Hard to see through the pixellation, but looks like damage. Probably a counting machine. You'll notice the bottom of Liberty is also missing. Circular damage like that is usually a counting machine.

What is the best camera to use for taking clearer pictures. I will check my settings. I also use a magnification app with a camera

You can only get so close with a cell phone camera or a straight digital camera. You need a macro lens or a USB microscope to get really close.

• Options
    Conita1218Conita1218 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Conita1218 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You can only get so close with a cell phone camera or a straight digital camera. You need a macro lens or a USB microscope to get really close.

I have a microscope. I will check it there . I use an app. A magnifier camera

• Options

I have a 1071 nickel .. how much is it worth

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stephanie8726 said:
    I have a 1071 nickel .. how much is it worth

If it looks similar to the above, it is only worth face value (5 cents).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file