Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone else seen a 2018 quarter with a mint error like mine?

It is a pictured rocks quarter that has an extra circular line stamped into the quarter that was done before the date was stamped into the quarter which is obvious by the date not having the line through the numbers. I haven't been able to locate a similar error on this quarter anywhere on the internet.

Answers

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need a good photo and welcome to the forum.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like your coin was gouged by the crimping mechanism on an automated coin rolling machine. This is common. The reason you haven't located a similar error is that it isn't an error, it's post mint damage.

A clear, cropped picture would provide confirmation. Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without a photo provided, but based on your own description,
    I agree with Oldhoopster - odds are it's damaged from a counting
    machine or rolling machine.

Please provide photos, and we'll take a fresh look at the coin.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. :)

We would need to see yours to know if we have seen anything like it. Without photos it would be very hard to tell. As an example, I have an error coin in my hand, have you seen anything like it?

As mentioned above there is a good chance it is from the machine that rolls the coins.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david6989 said:
    ...an extra circular line stamped into the quarter that was done before the date was stamped into the quarter...

If the planchet was damaged prior to striking, the damage would most likely have been obliterated by the pressure of being struck. A "circular line" sounds very much like damage from a coin rolling machine, as others have said. Such lines are frequently not complete the entire way around the coin.

• Options

This is a photo of the coin. If the damage was done post mint i was underimpression it would have marred the date as the date would have been on the coin when the damage occurred but im fairly new with coins so all info appreciated.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin rolling machine damage.

• Options

Ok if thats the case how did it not also

• Options

Cut into the date? Just trying to learn thanks.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

The date is incuse as opposed to raised (relief). It wasn't affected because it's deeper into the surface of the coin than the counting wheel scratch is.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

Awesome thanks!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david6989 ....Welcome aboard...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rolling machine damage can occur like this @david6989 and welcome to the CU forums.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file