Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1960 Jefferson Nickel: Doubled Die on both sides?

There appears to be doubling on just about everything on the obverse, as well as the reverse. I'm still having trouble identifying the different types of doubling so any info would be great!!

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nope, machine doubling

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's MD

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely machine doubling.... Keep studying the resources on this subject... it will become easier. Also, get the Cherry Pickers Guide (CPG) ... it lists known varieties.... Not all of them, but the important ones....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019 8:08AM

Flat, shelf-like doubling - the classic indicator of Mechanical Doubling.

There are many links to resources that have been mentioned in various threads. The very first thread on the UIS Coins forum has a lot of links to resources as well.

I do not have the CPG myself, so I don't know the answer, but is there a known DD for 1960 nickels? If not, then you really should not be scrutinizing them for DDs. Look for known varieties. Until you are a lot more knowledgeable about DD vs MD, it is best to rely on what experts have already found. DDs are not random - they are found on coins from specific dates/MMs where a doubled die was used in production.

Lastly, while varieties with both an obv and rev DD do exist, they are exceeding rare, if you find a coin with doubling on both sides your first guess should be MD until proven otherwise.

Just my opinions....

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019 12:28PM

Known DDOs for 1960 Nickels.

http://varietyvista.com/04b JN DD Vol 2/DDOs 1960.htm

First: If after your careful study of the coin you suspect a DD variety then you should...

Second: Look at some well known resources, Cherrypickers’ Guide, Variety Vista, Wexler’s, to name a few...

Third: If you have match (or not) and wish for an unabashed/unfiltered/sometimes painful-to-read opinion post away, but please post your observations and the why’s.

Finally, (but should be first thing anyone does) is understanding the differences between MD and DD.

http://conecaonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/StrikeDoublingFlyer-1.pdf

First page of the above link/pdf:

Example of an obvious DD:

Enjoy the hobby, after a couple hundred/thousand MD miscues you WILL get it.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

lf the doubling looks like you are walking up a step it's mechanical doubling, not an error. It is also sometimes called other names like shelf doubling, etc.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file