Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Very First Podcast!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 23, 2019 8:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Jeff Starck of Coin World asked me if I would mind doing an interview for their weekly Podcast and I said, "sure, what do I have to do?" He said we would just set up a call and he and Chris Bulfinch would ask me questions about how I got started, my involvement in Women in Numismatics, etc.

The podcast happened to be posted today while my hubby and I were driving home from a weekend get away, so we listened to it together in the car. After it was finished, I asked my non-numismatic hubby what he thought and he said it was actually not boring and that not once did he want to turn it off! So, if any of you are interested, here it is!

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/cwpod_ep017

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Charmy.... would love to hear it... However, the link does not work..... Cheers, RickO

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThePennyLady said:
    Jeff Starck of Coin World asked me if I would mind doing an interview for their weekly Podcast and I said, "sure, what do I have to do?" He said we would just set up a call and he and Chris Bulfinch would ask me questions about how I got started, my involvement in Women in Numismatics, etc.

The podcast happened to be posted today while my hubby and I were driving home from a weekend get away, so we listened to it together in the car. After it was finished, I asked my non-numismatic hubby what he thought and he said it was actually not boring and that not once did he want to turn it off! So, if any of you are interested, here it is!

https://coinworld.com/news/us-coins/cwpod_ep017

Fixed link:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/cwpod_ep017

That is great @ThePennyLady!

• rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019 6:03AM

I've listened to a few of their podcasts since they started, and I thought they were informative and fairly well produced. I found the podcast valuable enough to monitor their weekly releases with my RSS news reader.

Here is this week's description:
    In an action-packed seventeenth installment, Chris and Jeff talk about exciting news coming out of the U.S. Mint, mark the 54th anniversary of the introduction of clad coinage, and discuss Lima Shillings, the storied but misunderstood silver coins minted in 1745-1746. Their guest, Charmy Harker, also known as The Penny Lady, shares her perspective on more than 20 years in the industry and her work with Women in Numismatics (WIN).

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. I'm not sure how many you will reach here, you will have more than a few folks that think a podcast is a way to cast a lure with a fishing rod.

• selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Very cool. I'm not sure how many you will reach here, you will have more than a few folks that think a podcast is a way to cast a lure with a fishing rod.

Don't forget those among us who can't "hear" your comment unless you write it in CAPITAL letters. :smile:

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! Just listened to your portion. Well done! I love that you asked 'WHY' a million times as you got started. That's great advice, and it's a great way to ramp up very quickly.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done! I always felt that I started focusing on coin collecting too late in life. This was encouraging to hear how you have amassed such a wealth of knowledge in a relatively short time span.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done! I enjoyed listening to it.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charmy, I never knew your backstory :)

What a fantastic Podcast, Thank you.

I see so many similarities (other than not being a woman) in our business as this is my second business started later in life because I was forced into it willingly because of the great recession.

• selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

Finally got time to listen, two thumbs up!! The only problem with a podcast is we can't see your ever present smile. Anyone who goes to the big shows should stop by her booth. Always a positive encounter, even if you don't collect copper.

• Wil1858Wil1858 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Charmy, you rocked it!

Wil in CO

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Nicely done! I enjoyed listening to it.

+1

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for taking the time to listen to the podcast and for your very kind comments. Jeff and Chris did a great job and were very well prepared. They kept the interview moving and made it feel more like a conversation.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never listened to a podcast before but since it was Charmy I thought what the heck. I'm glad I listened, it makes me feel I know her better even though I've only met her once in person.

It was almost as good as one of her show reports. :D

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019 6:03PM

That was an excellent interview, Charmy! The things that the interviewer said about you are so true..... you are indeed genuine, passionate and knowledgeable.

It was very interesting listening to your recollection of how you got started and about the industry in general. Never knew that you didn't get started until you were an adult.

I always said that I envy you, because you get to do what you love for a living but, when I really think about it, that's the same reason I collect coins, myself, even though I'm not a dealer. I learn about my series, how to grade, how to recognize quality, how to recognize a good purchase for the money and all of the history and nuances.

I go to coin shows for all the same reasons you do....for the love of coins and to talk to all the people there and to make worthwhile purchases. I also always go out to dinner with friends after every show, too.

So, even though I'm not a dealer, I still derive a lot of the same benefits that you do from coins. I guess that I never really thought about it that way, until just now, so thanks for helping me realize this. Makes me feel even better about my coins and my collecting.

Next major show that I go to; I will come to your table and introduce myself. I meant to do it at the last one but I was too busy working the floor and time just got away from me.

Anyway, Thanks @ThePennyLady ! I appreciate you and all you do for the Hobby and really enjoy reading all your coin show reports, too!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a great interview, thank you for sharing your experiences.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this - you have an interesting story to tell and you've done a lot to support coin collecting!

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Very lovely!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file