Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on grade for this 1921 SLQ? (New Images)

Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 27, 2019 12:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I apologize for the poor pic quality, it’s all I have:

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

I would say right around VF30.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vf 30/35 seems about right.
    Nice 4 digit date visible too, something you don’t always see on this date.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF-30

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 here too.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF25/30

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 here also, obviously can't tell if it's been messed with from the pictures!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice VF with a very clear date ... a big plus.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice full date and that I important!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Choice VF, might have a light cleaning. Could just be the lighting though.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that a great series? What a great design! Ah, the good ol' days of coinage...

Nice coin! Congrats!

• Options

Thanks for your opinions. I’ll post better pics once I receive the coin. I believe the current pic is a scan through a 2x2, so you can only tell so much from this image.

• Options

Yes, you are correct - please repost once you get it out of that dust speckled 2x2 so we can all
    get a better look at it.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF 30 was my first - and still - impression....better pictures (or in hand) could change that... but looks like most agree on this one.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Coin received. Please let me know what you think based on these better images:

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 here.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will stay at 30.

• Options

Possibly an old cleaning, I’m going with vf 30, no longer shot 35.

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

Probably won’t grade, looks cleaned. Good album coin in the grade of VF30 though.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

Still a 30 here also. The coin has most likely been dipped but still may be gradable.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wiped?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

I showed it to a local dealer yesterday and he didn’t think it looked cleaned. But there is a scratch on the reverse that could result in a details grade. Based on the scratches that I’ve seen on some straight graded VF coins I could see it going either way. The coin actually looks very nice in hand and the scratch is only really noticeable if it catches the light just right. These highly zoomed in photos show the scratch. The scratch is barely noticeable in the full coin photos above and that’s consistent with the in hand appearance of the scratch as well:

• Options
    edited July 28, 2019 10:11AM

Here’s a couple more images showing the coin in less over exposed LED lighting. The initial photos make the coin look much brighter than it is. Two of them were just intended to show some of the subtle color it has when tilted in the light:

• Options

Looks like a totally different coin!
    I think the rev scratch and the obv rim issue are both small enough it has a pretty good shot to straight grade if that's the goal.

• Options

Re the scratch! I've seen lighter scratches receive a details grade and much worse scratches straight grade.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaning, there is a "buffed" appearance to both obverse and reverse; also a bit of toning after cleaning which has a slight bronzing haze on the surface.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file