Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Next chapter of my life - Military

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 22, 2019 5:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well just here to update I have taken a break from coins for a little while, I will be leaving here within a month for the military. My goal is travel the country and do my time and serve so paratroopers here I come :D EDIT: I am sure I will come across some interesting coins along the way 😊

Comments

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭

Beat of luck to you. Served 8 years with Air Force.

imageimage

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2019 5:59PM

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you have a remarkable experience.

Thank you for choosing to serve this great country of ours.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy and thank you for your soon to be service. It's a shame that those running the show never serve and weasel their way out because daddy has $$$$. Hopefully those cowards never send you into harms way. Semper FI! PATRIOT!!!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun. It will be the best and worst experience of your life.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best wishes and thank you for your service. The coins will still be there when you come back. Stay out of harms way

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck, I have a nephew in the USMC (sixth year).

Not an easy life, but the economic prospects around here are mixed at best.

Must agree with the sentiment that the coins will still be there later, when you are not as busy.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing Army Airborne?

A tough, but very rewarding life. I spent 24 years in the Air Force myself, and have a lot of good memories. If I could, I'd do it all again.

Good Luck to you!

Steve

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:
    Well just here to update I have taken a break from coins for a little while, I will be leaving here within a month for the military. My goal is travel the country and do my time and serve so paratroopers here I come :D EDIT: I am sure I will come across some interesting coins along the way 😊

CONGRATULATIONS!

You have picked the job the most do not want but do envy!

Less than 10% of the current generation of young adults do not qualify to join.

Be at the right place, at the right time, and in the right uniform!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

And maybe you will pick up some challenge coins along the way!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! Stick with it even if you get discouraged.
    I spent 5 years in the Army as a 94F, entered in 2003. Best thing I could have done.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OUR COUNTRY!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great! Thank you for choosing to serve!

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

did you enlist yet?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for serving your country! Stay safe.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@SDSportsFan said:
    I'm guessing Army Airborne?

A tough, but very rewarding life. I spent 24 years in the Air Force myself, and have a lot of good memories. If I could, I'd do it all again.

Good Luck to you!

Steve

Yes, airborne is the ticket for me! Thank you all for the comments! I will be updating every so often once I head out!

• Options

@PTVETTER said:
    did you enlist yet?

After mepps stay (Thursday Night) and physical next morning (Friday morning) I will be locked in. Have taken the asbab and rocked it-( to me at least) I will lock in my mos then. Then I will ship out according to how long it is until that job is shipping. Give or take a week or two

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your service!!!

Best of Luck!!!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck and keep your head down, keep us updated as/when you can and most of all enjoy your time. Airborne is a tough school but the first jump is a real rush and it will be worth the hard work.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much for serving.
    Best wishes.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS: never volunteer for anything in basic or AIT

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Never too late to join up either.....well almost. Coming up on 15 years for me, hope is to retire as an E7.

If you havent looked into it yet, make sure to take a long thought about becoming an officer or warrant. After a few years of service under your belt it can be a great move with much better pay/retirement. Too late for me to make the switch.

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

Is airborne a guaranteed path at enlistment or do you have to be selected (i.e., compete for a slot) with your performance at boot camp a primary factory?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is great.... You will have both good and not so good experiences.... I did four years in the Navy... Still in touch with shipmates after all these years....also have ship reunions... Keep us posted....log in once in a while to check on coins and forum friends....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you and all who served for your service to America. Be sure to check in once in awhile and let us know how you are doing. Also, be sure to get an absentee ballot next year and vote. Also, some of the larger military bases may have a coin club. When my father worked at Fort Meade, MD in the 1960's they had a very active coin club and we used to attend meetings.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@au58 said:
    Is airborne a guaranteed path at enlistment or do you have to be selected (i.e., compete for a slot) with your performance at boot camp a primary factory?

Airborne is a option if there aren’t restrictions after basic. You go ahead into jump school I believe.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make certain that your boots are an excellent fit. My nephew went through basic and ait just over a year ago and ended up buying a special pair of boots at the PX after finding out the hard way that the regular issue boots were not a good match for his feet.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019 6:34AM

Salutations young brother ( or sister). Don't be a hero. Being a good soldier is sufficient. That, in itself, will take you above and beyond "the call of duty".

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be safe and work hard. A good career if you can eat a fair amount of pain pills. Best when young.

John Marburger
    Commander, USN (ret)
    www.siliconvalleycoins.com

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your service!

• Options
    MjwagsMjwags Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:

Thank you for your service, I don' think it's said enough how much gratitude most of us have for those who have , do and will serve.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

"...it was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." ;-)

Best of luck to you.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Military brat, here. Best life I could’ve had. Didn’t like when my dad told me he was going to retire because I didn’t know what civilians even looked or acted like.
    Enjoy yourself!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@AUandAG said:

I found that if you volunteer for stuff you are willing to do, you won't get volun-told to do the less desirable details.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@CRH4LIFE said:

@au58 said:

Airborne is a option if there aren’t restrictions after basic. You go ahead into jump school I believe.

Let me give you a piece of good advice- if you want airborne school, get it in your enlistment contract. They will tell you all sorts of things about "volunteering" for it at the end of basic, options to go, blah blah. Then you get there and they tell you the truth- you're going where they tell you to go.
    "Paratrooper" is also not a MOS. You can get airborne school and then get sent to straight leg infantry. You'll have to get THAT in your enlistment papers, too.
    82nd Airborne in NC and 173rd out of Vicenza are the only paratrooper units now.
    They offer all sorts of incentives to join the military, because not many are willing to enlist. Take your time and leave nothing to chance. There is no time to "fix it" downrange.
    PM me if you need anything.
    Good luck

Very important advice if you want to go airborne. Make sure it's in your contract and the unit you will be joining is an airborne unit.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@AUandAG said:

I found that if you volunteer for stuff you are willing to do, you won't get volun-told to do the less desirable details.

Things may have changed since the 1960's. My Sgt asked if anyone had been in ROTC at the morning muster. Of course my hand went up......he put me on the daily ash and trash...sucked.
    Then several weeks later he asked if anyone spoke a foreign language (didn't learn) and again my hand went up.....KP for two straight days..........never volunteered for anything again.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you to you and all other veterans on the forum for your service.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

I assume you have some idea of what MOS you want and not going to MEPS without an idea or two. I can vouch for the technical MOS's, if you rocked your asvab GT score you should have no problem getting one. Don't let them sweet-talk you into 11B, not that there's anything wrong with going infantry.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you have as good of career as I did. Twenty-Seven years in the Air Force for me.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joined in 74 biggest mistake this stupid little kid made at the time. Without it I would have never gotten my Parole Agent job that pays me a very comfortable pension now until I suck my last breathe.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you in advance for your service!
    I wish you the very best. :)

• Options
    Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

Remember-Feet and Knees Together!! I pray you get a better assignment, but send me a message if you come to Fort Hood. I can introduce you to some coin junkies here.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your decision to serve our country. I carry some powerful, rich, complicated adventures with me every day. I regret nothing and am grateful for my life today. Hope you choose a great MOS that you can advantage into a profession. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:

@PTVETTER said:
    did you enlist yet?

After mepps stay (Thursday Night) and physical next morning (Friday morning) I will be locked in. Have taken the asbab and rocked it-( to me at least) I will lock in my mos then. Then I will ship out according to how long it is until that job is shipping. Give or take a week or two

Keep us posted
    Best of luck
    spent over 29 years in the uniform and retired from the Army in 2006!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file