ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 22, 2019 4:11AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gobrecht Dollar

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at the Gobrecht dollar first, thinking I would probably prefer the medal. After looking at the dollar I didn't even look at the medal. That dollar is amazing.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually prefer items of historical significance such as the Armstrong Medal, however, I really like the Gobrecht Dollar you linked. My choice would be the Gobrecht Dollar in this case (assuming I have a spare 33 grand laying around :) )

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 Gobrecht

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough choice... as a coin collector, I would take the Gobrecht.... as a business person, the medal would appeal to both collectors and non-coin collectors... so likely a wider market. Since I do not sell coins (or medals), I would take the Gobrecht. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Investment decision it would be Gobrecht. Collector decision it would be Armstrong.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d choose the medal. It could be a once in a lifetime opportunity, and Gobrechts are always available,

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you collect eagles flying among the stars, then you need both.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Armstrong medal.

The Gobrecht is a classic, but its fan base is limited and potentially shrinking. The medal cuts across many areas of interest, and is historically unique.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2019 10:43AM

Gobrecht Dollar in a heartbeat!

Modern exonumia at that price level is far from being anywhere near as liquid and the downside potential could be greater than the dollar.

Now if your okay waiting for that one buyer to surface on a unique piece that might take a couple years to find then lock you money in the medal.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno. I love the Neil Armstrong association, but the design doesn't do much for me. I'd someday love to have a Gobrecht dollar, but they're sort of like high relief Saints -- super cool, but in reality not all that rare, and always very expensive. For the money, I'd choose option "C" and acquire something else that is more in-line with my collecting goals.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I dunno. I love the Neil Armstrong association, but the design doesn't do much for me. I'd someday love to have a Gobrecht dollar, but they're sort of like high relief Saints -- super cool, but in reality not all that rare, and always very expensive. For the money, I'd choose option "C" and acquire something else that is more in-line with my collecting goals.

I like the "C" option for Cash and not bidding on either best too! ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

gorbrecht dollar

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can have the medal right....dang... NOW!!!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without looking at the Dollar, I would take it over the medal. After looking at the dollar...I would absolutely take the dollar...if I had the means.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dollar, period. I wouldn't even want the medal.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2019 6:10PM

The Gobrecht dollar for sure.

I can appreciate the Neil Armstrong medal and I am in no way attempting to minimize it's uniqueness and history BUT...

I want something that's truly rare not just rare because of where it's been and who owned it.

I like the Gobrecht design better, too, and have always wanted one. The plain obverse with eagle flying among stars on the reverse is my favorite type, as well.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gobrecht dollar, not a medal guy at all

• Options

Armstrong Medal

Brian Hodge
    Partner, President of Numismatics
    Minshull Trading

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gobrecht dollar all the way.

Another of my dream coins. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file