Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on numismatic information

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 21, 2019 6:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Message boards and similar venues are places where people with similar interests can read about and exchange information. The active coin hobby boards have long accepted that presenting basic information about new articles, books, etc. is a reasonable part of communication among interested parties. These same venues also expect that direct sales and purchase information - just as with coins - be limited to a "Buy, Sell, Trade" or similar site. This avoids clogging useful information exchange with commercial appeals.

It is notable that the PCGS boards have a thread titled "Resources: Books to read on numismatic series and varieties" pasted to the top of this particular board. That seems sufficient acceptance that new articles and books can be mentioned, illustrated and discussed, provided the money and/or sales aspect is placed elsewhere.

Whether an author or discoverer of information is brand new, or an old-hand is not material.

It appears the post regarding a new book titled Girl on the Silver Dollar fits within the above description. However, if the moderators feel otherwise, then it should be removed --

But what, then, happens to all the other mentions of books, or articles, or new discoveries (1846/49), or any other material that might be eventually found in a paid publication?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have the answer regarding the intricacies of listing literature (though I do understand the difference when pricing is included). However, I value these listings as a resource for finding published information on subjects that interest me. I hope the category pasted to the top of the forum continues... I can find sources/pricing myself once I know what to look for. Cheers, RickO

• Options

The "offending" thread has been pulled. That settles the matter. I'll not bother to mention anything informative or historical that might possibly be published. Enjoy.

:)

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Completely staggers the imagination why that thread was pulled.

I hardly recognize this place anymore.

""I'll not bother to mention anything informative or historical that might possibly be published. Enjoy."

How sad is that?
    We all lose.

Slowly but surely all of the most experienced contributing members here get run out, shouted down or just say it ain't worth the constant hassle.

And who can blame them?

Colonel Jessup recently comes to mind.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a shame, Roger. I always find your posts very informative and well written.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that's just stupid. I'm sorry, RWB. You deserve better.
    Lance.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    The "offending" thread has been pulled. That settles the matter. I'll not bother to mention anything informative or historical that might possibly be published. Enjoy.

There’s a big difference between mentioning something informative or historical that might possibly be published and starting a thread that looks to be promoting a book that will be available, shortly. I don’t recall any threads getting removed in the instances in which you posted information and at the same time (merely) referenced one of your books.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not mind the plug for the girl on the dollar book. I can read or ignore something like that as I wish. I did think that the snarky reaction to it was overdone.
    MOO

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't have heard about the book if it weren't for that thread Roger. I'm off the BST for a while yet after paying for my grandkids to fly and cruise with me this spring. Gotta reload and there's no sense looking at tempting targets.
    The Forum Anti-Spam Defense Shield being deployed in these threads will only have the effect of less members hearing about the book which is sad.
    I've seen that same shield deployed when a grieving member posted about a lost loved one so the disussion of the fine points of forum decorem rings quite hollow for me.

• Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    I did not mind the plug for the girl on the dollar book. I can read or ignore something like that as I wish. I did think that the snarky reaction to it was overdone.
    MOO

Well said and I fully agree. There is a world of difference between selling a coin and providing useful information to a collector.

• Options

There is a difference between someone posting a numismatic resource and someone promoting a book they have published which falls under the category of advertising. The post was not pulled from the BST forum where advertising items for sale is welcome. If you have any additional questions regarding the posted rules and guidelines, please feel free to reach out.

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately...this is the stuff movies are not made from ;)

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:
    There is a difference between someone posting a numismatic resource and someone promoting a book they have published which falls under the category of advertising.

And someone posted the former, not the latter.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hindsight always being 20/20, I would PM RB and make my suggestion to him like that if I could do it all over again. but really, if you think what I said was "snarky" or anything else you really have a tender way of inferring things. all I did was suggest that he should post at the BST, that's it. sure, I called it a "nice, self-promotion" but nothing else.

don't put words in my mouth, don't mis-characterize what I say.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2019 9:33AM

It has been noted that an administrative decision was made regarding the post illustrating the new book “Girl on the Silver Dollar.” Whether individuals agree or disagree we must accept that decision. Evidently, it is now prohibited for an author to mention their work, but it is acceptable for someone else to mention the same work.

For accuracy, it should be pointed out that this is a change in administrative approach. Only a few months ago a similar illustrated post was made for a new book “Private Pattern and Related Pieces: International Nickel & Gould Incorporated” without objection. Likewise, the book “United States Proof Coins 1936-1942” was presented to board members in a similar manner, and again there were no administrative objections. In both instances, the general content was described, but all ordering, cost and related information was placed on the Buy-Sell-Trade board – just as in the “Girl on the Silver Dollar” instance.

Lastly, it is worth noting that recent books written by Kevin Flynn have been described by the author on this same message board, again without administrative objection.

PS: Forgot to mention the Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle book....

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    It has been noted that an administrative decision was made regarding the post illustrating the new book “Girl on the Silver Dollar.” Whether individuals agree or disagree we must accept that decision. Evidently, it is now prohibited for an author to mention their work, but it is acceptable for someone else to mention the same work.

For accuracy, it should be pointed out that this is a change in administrative approach. Only a few months ago a similar illustrated post was made for a new book “Private Pattern and Related Pieces: International Nickel & Gould Incorporated” without objection. Likewise, the book “United States Proof Coins 1936-1942” was presented to board members in a similar manner, and again there were no administrative objections. In both instances, the general content was described, but all ordering, cost and related information was placed on the Buy-Sell-Trade board – just as in the “Girl on the Silver Dollar” instance.

Lastly, it is worth noting that recent books written by Kevin Flynn have been described by the author on this same message board, again without administrative objection.

Roger, if you haven't already done so, why not message Heather with that?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019 6:39AM

@RogerB said:

I hope she doesn't nuke those posts, as well. The threads contained useful information that you don't usually find on other forums

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

To whom it may concern: Denga is of course Robert W. "Bob" Julian, perhaps the greatest living numismatic writer.
    As I have said for years, he is who I want to be when I grow up!
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me there is a difference between for-profit and non-profit advertising.

Most numismatic books (this one included) fall into the latter category. Numismatic authors are generally in it for the cause and not the money.

If the ANA put a link here for the Summer Seminar book sale, would that be advertising? I think not. We would give them a dispensation as a non-profit, educational entity.

We should think of numismatic authors in the same sense.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:
    If you have any additional questions regarding the posted rules and guidelines, please feel free to reach out.

Do you really want to establish a guideline for acceptable posts that is dependent upon you having to discern the poster’s motivation or intent for posting?

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file