Options

tHANKS

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 21, 2019 4:59AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

ThANKS

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contact Kuenker or Sincona perhaps for a more solid opinion on the rarity and value?

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2019 9:07PM

Guy Franquinet is considered an expert on errors and deals a lot in this type of stuff. His online shop is one of the only places I know to find errors on a regular basis.

There is very little published about errors compared to US coins. The fact that you haven't seen another one or haven't seen another one slabbed doesn't necessarily mean a ton.

I will caution you, almost no German Empire 20 Pfennig is worth a grand (or more). One of the best examples in the world of a key date or a technically excellent proof enter that territory. Error collecting for German coins from this era does exist, but it seems to be a fringe thing. When I've seen errors for sale, they're usually in the $50-200 range. I will eat my shoe if it's a $1000 coin, much less $10k.

It's likely rare enough that someone won't be able to price it and there aren't many people looking for it. Outside of a few specific German dealers, your best bet is to use a large auction house like Heritage (they get some good European buyers). This doesn't seem like Kuenker's bread and butter since they usually don't do many minor coins...but they have a large audience.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2019 9:09PM

I went ahead and googled "1874 20 Pfennig Fehlpraegung" and this was the first result.

There is currently one for sale in F/VF for $42 dollars:
    https://www.ma-shops.com/fenzl/item.php?id=28867&lang=en

Fenzl has a few more errors in his shop. You could reach out to them as well.

Edit: Someone purchased it since I posted this.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated!!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another perspective: many foreign coin collectors have near to ZERO interest in even major errors.
    I showed a very dramatic flipover double strike PROOF 1/10 Balboa with both sides showing designs of the other; NO interest.
    Just a couple of years ago I bought a coin later graded as NGC MS64 - it was an off metal strike 1964 half crown struck on a bronze planchet with nearly proof like details for $200. Routinely I have bought Gr Britain major errors for very little.
    How about another: a 1981 penny struck over a 1956 sixpence - $800!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

happen to know Fenzl as a very shrewd person. extracting the literally the last possible fraction of a cent from you. extremely high prices and NO, or very little idea about grading. he grades like a rubber band.
    about 6 months ago I made him an offer which included some scarce coins. he laughed it off. he still has the scarce coin for sale. at an inflated price, trying to sell it on Feebay and MA shop. My offer would have benefited him, by over $500, as I wanted that one coin of the few.
    **Guy Franquinet ** knows his stuff and I am sure he would discuss it with you on the phone and give you the straight goods. If anyone knows the German collectors of your item, it is him.
    Know him for many years. He does speak English.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life