Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

US Mint ready to jump the shark... (Part deux) :)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

From CoinNews.net. Posted without comment.

coinnews.net:U.S. Mint Considering Colorized Coins

"The United States Mint is considering the use of colorization on this commemorative coin program," commented April Stafford, Director of the U.S. Mint’s Office of Design Management. "I stress the word ‘considering’."

DON'T EFFING DO IT! (I lied about the without comment thing... ;) )

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's hope they don't consider it for long.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the US Mint wants to colorize coins I don't care. I stopped buying their coins a long time ago. :s

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 7:18AM

I have no problem with this. If you are a coin purist, you probably shouldn't be buying NCLT coins anyway. What's wrong with a little color?

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US mint can do whatever they want to do, I haven't bought anything from the mint in a bit over a decade now.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint products, mint decision.... Buy or do not buy - That is YOUR decision.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

My idea for the roadside attraction series apparently didn't take off. :'(

Lenny the Chocolate Moose
    Scarborough, ME
    Come see 1,700lbs of stale, 18yr-old chocolate shaped like a moose.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

"The United States Mint is considering the use of colorization on this commemorative coin program," commented April Stafford, Director of the U.S. Mint’s Office of Design Management. "I stress the word ‘considering’."

Does acetone take the color off? :D

I asked jokingly, but does it?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

The world is changing. Color is in vogue. Silver and gold are colors that the mint and congress/ legislators forgot, or can't remember.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    If the US Mint wants to colorize coins I don't care. I stopped buying their coins a long time ago. :s

This.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    They jumped the shark long ago.

That.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Television programs and motion pictures used to be in black and white.

Now they are in color.

Live with it.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Does acetone take the color off? :D

I asked jokingly, but does it?

Not if they use enamel like most other Mints.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

I'm in that same camp.

If the mint wants to colorize coins, no problem whatsoever. They've done just about every other gimmick. I'm sure there will be buyers of an 'official U.S. government issued colorized coin'.

----- kj
  • Options

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    Television programs and motion pictures used to be in black and white.

Now they are in color.

Live with it.

True. And people only like gold because it is yellow instead of "metallic silver" like most other metals.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

C'mon, it's all just "merchandise" that they can make a buck on.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:

If the mint wants to colorize coins, no problem whatsoever. They've done just about every other gimmick.

Although I don’t really disagree with this, for some reason, colorized coins seem particularly vulgar.

(Although I did buy one once-in Palau)

Higashiyama
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nooooooooo! :s

Enhanced proof or unc is as far as I will go.

• Options
    edited July 18, 2019 2:58PM

To all of the naysayers here...why does money have ANY design on it at all? Why isn't it just a bar of metall stamped with content and an assayers mark?

[Note: I'm not accepting "counterfeiting" as a response because then we would be using holograms or complex geometric designs.]

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "Why isn't it just a bar of medal stamped with content and an assayers mark?"

In effect, that's what the earliest coins were. Then people wanted to use them to promote their city, or king/queen, or point of view, or faith, or anything else.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's next? Guitar shaped coins. ;)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinJP said:

Someday if this madness gets bad enough it will come full circle and someone will have the brilliant idea to make a coin shaped coin.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    RE: "Why isn't it just a bar of medal stamped with content and an assayers mark?"

In effect, that's what the earliest coins were. Then people wanted to use them to promote their city, or king/queen, or point of view, or faith, or anything else.

I know. Which is why the "purists" aren't that pure. It's all just ornamentation.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Ready to"? Some might say that ship has sailed.

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Mint products, mint decision.... Buy or do not buy - That is YOUR decision.....Cheers, RickO

Ricko is right. You no like... you no buy.

• Options
    aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

@dennis1219 said:

@ricko said:

Exactly.
    When the US Mint sees that this will NOT be a money maker, then they will NOT continue to make them the next year. They'll probably just come up with another inane idea.

It would be nice to see the US Mint reaching out to numismatic forums to test the waters on future ideas.

NO one is twisting anyone's arm to buy these things.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the past, the Mint has sent surveys to people who have been customers....several forum members (including myself) have participated in these surveys. They are, however, a business...and as such, have a wide variety of customers....a small segment includes those who like unique (to them) or unusual coins... They are not numismatists as we understand the term, but they collect items that aesthetically please them or fit some aspect of life they enjoy (i.e. sports)....Such coins will have a market.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@aus3000tin said:

@dennis1219 said:

@ricko said:

Exactly.
    When the US Mint sees that this will NOT be a money maker, then they will NOT continue to make them the next year. They'll probably just come up with another inane idea.

It would be nice to see the US Mint reaching out to numismatic forums to test the waters on future ideas.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

Frankly, even if no one on this board buys any, I'm sure they will sell a ton. Worldwide NCLT is very popular with Main Street collectors. Just because...er...classicists on this board turn up their nose at it doesn't mean it doesn't sell.

My favorite coin buy of the last 5 years remains the Fiji Coke bottle cap. For $29.99, I have had a ton of fun with it. It still makes me laugh every time I look at it. I bought a 66 Saint that hasn't given me 1% the pleasure. I spent 5k on an MS64 bust dime that didn't give me 2% of the pleasure.

You make my 5 oz Apollo ashtray with an actual rocky finish and I just might buy one.

You make me a furry tiger coin and I might just buy one.

Scoff all you want, but there are lots of people that will just have fun with it.

• Options

@ricko said:
    In the past, the Mint has sent surveys to people who have been customers....several forum members (including myself) have participated in these surveys. They are, however, a business...and as such, have a wide variety of customers....a small segment includes those who like unique (to them) or unusual coins... They are not numismatists as we understand the term, but they collect items that aesthetically please them or fit some aspect of life they enjoy (i.e. sports)....Such coins will have a market.... Cheers, RickO

THIS!

And there's nothing wrong with it. If someone gets more fun from collecting colorized animal coins from around the world than MS large cents, they should NOT buy MS large cents!

There's nothing wrong with considering the coins as simply ART!

• Options

@aus3000tin said:

@dennis1219 said:

@ricko said:

Exactly.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

If these things are not money makers, why do soooo many Mints around the world make such offerings?

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2019 8:56AM

@coinJP said:

You are 15 years late.
    2004 Somali Republic $1 Guitar Enameled Coins

Anyhow, I am also guilty of collecting low budget colored coins. This was my most recent colored coin purchase.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@coinJP said:

You are 15 years late.
    2004 Somali Republic $1 Guitar Enameled Coins

Anyhow, I am also guilty of collecting low budget colored coins. This was my most recent colored coin purchase.

Yes I knew about these. Hence the ;) . :)

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2024 6:45AM

Egyptian Magic Coin, Colorized

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will they ever top this 2009 issue? Highly doubtful.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

Agreed!

I might be in favor-I'd have to see it/them first.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's almost like the Mint wants to compete with the Post Office for the most junk/gimmicks created.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Commemorative coins of today have mintages even lower than most of their 1894 - 1952 counterparts, but of course, does anyone care?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this mean i have to follow another grading aspect class?
    Guess I better get out my PMS Book. Wait ! Stop ! Hold The Fort, That means a
    Pantone Matching System ...book.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

NZ’s contribution to colour. I actually find it to be kind of cool.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Circulation version:

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    Will they ever top this 2009 issue? Highly doubtful.

Technically, or rather, essentially, it was a 1907 issue.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

How 'bout they stick to making coins for commerce? If they (and our lawmakers) would focus on that instead of all this circus-tent stuff, they'd be a lot closer to accomplishing their intended purpose.

Really, our current coinage does more to hinder business than help. Cent, nickel, dime? Who needs those? Let get rid of currency below the $20 note and replace the rest with coins. Redesign the whole system and stop churning out sh...tuff that private mints can make just fine.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

More junk!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file