Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB all time post season bed crappers

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which Hall of famers, or close to getting into the hall, have the lowest postseason batting averages.

Let's identify those players who came up small when their teams needed them to be big.

The entire postseason is the criteria. Let's identify those "GREAT" players who couldn't avoid the toilet in the postseason.

I'll provide two candidates, and let's see if you can get someone who did worse than they did.

Left handed batter - Joe Morgan lifetime postseason batting average of .182

Right handed hitter - Mike Schmidt lifetime postseason batting average of .236

I challenge anyone to find a lefty who did worse than Joe Morgan, and I'm sure you may find a few great right handed hitters that did worse than Mike Sczhitt.

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Ted Williams

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the chances that George Brett's name come up in the next half dozen posts?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, if batting average is the sole criterion. . .

• Options

Right handed batter: Randy Johnson hit .083.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff Bagwell stunk it up.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dave Kingman .111

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 1:36PM

Mo Vaughn and Jose Canseco 0-13 and 0-14 against the Tribe in the playoffs back in ‘95. An absolute joke

• Options

@1970s said:

@doubledragon said:
    Jeff Bagwell stunk it up.

lifetime .226 hitter in the postseason. Mo Vaughn hit .224 so they'll platoon at 1B.

So far our team is Schmidt at 3B, Joe Morgan at 2b. Bagwell/Vaughn at 1B. Randy Johnson is
    our pitcher. Canseco hit .184 and will start in the outfield,

I'm going to leave Kingman out of our outfield for now. May include him later. He only had one postseason series, and not too sure how close to the Hall of Fame he is.

You do realize you just asked to bareknuckle box @doubledragon, right?

• Options

@1970s said:
    Looking for a catcher, a short stop, and two more outfielders, along with a DH.

Catcher - Gene Tenace .158

• Options

@1970s said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@1970s said:
    Looking for a catcher, a short stop, and two more outfielders, along with a DH.

Catcher - Gene Tenace .158

Was Gene Tenace close to hall of fame material ? One of the criteria.

He sure made it to the postseason a lot with those epic A's teams of the early 70s. They should all be HOFers, no?

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

1970's- Just to be fair, Schmidt's .236 batting avg. doesn't tell the whole story.
    For instance, if he had racked up huge power numbers that .236 wouldn't look too bad.

However, Schmidt crapped the bed in the power department also, with a slugging % of .386
    and OPS of .690

So his .236 batting average is even worse than it looks, because he hit with the power of Buddy Biancalana
    in the postseason.

So actually, a mention of Brett in this thread would be appropriate, just to compare how a great hitter
    is able to handle postseason pressure.
    With just a quick glance, Bretts' .337 looks pretty good. But was he a singles hitter in the postseason.
    No he was not. A robust SLG % of .627 and OPS of 1.023 shows he hit with the avg. of Tony Gwynn
    and power of Babe Ruth in the postseason.

So forgive the Brett comparison, but I think it helps show how terrible Schmidt was in the postseason.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Well, what do we have here ? Could it possibly be ? Say it ain't so !!!

Have I actually found someone to replace Schmidt at third base ???

Why. Yes. I have. He's hall of fame, and he hit a whopping .200 in the postseason.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Who could it be ? Any takers ?

I wouldn't be too quick to replace Schmidt. Did your .200 hitter hit with the power of Buddy Biancalana
    like Schmidt did?

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 3:25AM

Schmidt was so bad...he actually is a WS MVP...lol

And thats what people will actually remember.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 3:31AM

@LarkinCollector said:
    Dave Kingman .111

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

But of course.

It's too pathetic beyond words to have a World Series MVP on this list. I don't give a chit what he did in the other postseason games. Without Mike Schmidt, the Phillies don't win the 1980 season championship and that is a fact.

• Options

@1970s said:

@stevek said:

@garnettstyle said:

But of course.

It's too pathetic beyond words to have a World Series MVP on this list.

That's like taking the White Star Line off the all time dumbest passenger ship list because they had one good cruise, even though they also decided to put less life boats on the Titanic.

Please stick to the criteria. The criteria is ALL TIME postseason performers. You just can't pick and choose because your hero couldn't perform over his career. Sorry.

Being awarded a World Series MVP and winning the World Series as well, is the most important possible post season performance. To achieve that, automatically excludes Schmidt from this list, and it's not even remotely debatable.

Your silly analogy with cruise ships, is something only a devout hater could possibly conjure up.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll look closer at the lineup card later BUT this teams’s closer is Trevor Hoffman.

No doubt.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1970s said:

@stevek said:

@1970s said:

@stevek said:

@garnettstyle said:

But of course.

It's too pathetic beyond words to have a World Series MVP on this list.

That's like taking the White Star Line off the all time dumbest passenger ship list because they had one good cruise, even though they also decided to put less life boats on the Titanic.

Please stick to the criteria. The criteria is ALL TIME postseason performers. You just can't pick and choose because your hero couldn't perform over his career. Sorry.

Being awarded a World Series MVP and winning the World Series as well, is the most important possible post season performance. To achieve that, automatically excludes Schmidt from this list, and it's not even remotely debatable.

Your silly analogy with cruise ships, is something only a devout hater could possibly conjure up.

And I thought I would make your day by informing everyone that Eddie Mathews was more of a bed crapper than Schitty. Last time I'll be a nice guy.

You're smart to do that because Mike Schmidt was getting ready to file a defecation of character lawsuit against you.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I’ll look closer at the lineup card later BUT this teams’s closer is Trevor Hoffman.

No doubt.

Hoffman never batted in the postseason. Please remember that according to the OP, the only criterion is batting average. Jack Morris hit .000 (0 for 4).