Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bass Collection sale?????.....soon?

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭

I thought the Bass Collection at the ANA Museum was on loan for 20 years. Which I think is up right about now.

Is anything happening with the potential sale of the collection?

What are your personal views on whether or not it should be sold or remain at the ANA?

What do you think the 1870-S Three Dollar Gold would bring?

Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SethChandler said:

Hansen will have fun with this one. PCGS lists it at $4 million. I guess it depends if Hansen and others get into a bidding war over it.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 3:58AM

@cameonut2011 said:
    Hansen will have fun with this one.

That'd be great.
    I'd be hanging out on David Lawrence hoping for trickle.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the terms of the loan?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SethChandler said:
    I thought the Bass Collection at the ANA Museum was on loan for 20 years. Which I think is up right about now.

Is anything happening with the potential sale of the collection?

What are your personal views on whether or not it should be sold or remain at the ANA?

I hope the collection is sold. I have always thought that collectors are the best stewards of coins and not a museum. Most collectors love their coins and collection much more than a museum. Coins in a museum are basically off the market but in a private collection they will eventually be sold to the next generation of collector. Further, when they are sold we get to enjoy those coins either in the auction viewing or an auction catalog. Many collectors are generous about showing their coins at a major show which is usually much more convenient than traveling to a museum.

As for the price for the 1870-S if sold---I am guessing between 8-10 million dollars.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to see these big collections go to auction.... puts the coins back out there, at least for a short time... and some will change hands a couple of times before settling again. In a museum, they gather dust, and often are hidden for years....often mistreated by unknowing 'curators'....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about the ANS and NNC Collections. Should they be sold as well?

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, except for a few they’re willing to keep on permanent display. Sell the rest, and put the money to good use while allowing someone (other than whatever curator currently works there) to enjoy the coins.

• Options

@edwardjulio said:

Probably, for most of what is in them, yes.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:

Different scenario. The Bass Collection is on loan, not the ANA decision whether or not to sell.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

A few others have brought this up on here before, it certainly would be an amazing sale(s) but the Core Collection is my favorite thing to look at when I go the ANA museum.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the NNC is always complaining about lack of funds. Imagine what they could do if they sold one of their 1822 Half Eagles (they have two) or one of their 1927-D Doubles Eagles (they have three).

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:

@cameonut2011 said:
    Hansen will have fun with this one.

That'd be great.
    I'd be hanging out on David Lawrence hoping for trickle.

Come on over!

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see the collection sold as well! While I've enjoyed seeing the collection on display at the ANA (and I enjoy the Smithsonian's displays), I think that these are done better as temporary exhibits if EVERYTHING can't be on display.

Alas, I heard that the loan was likely being renewed for a period, but I can't confirm anything at all as it's all rumor...

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bass exhibit in Colorado Springs is worth the drive/flight from anywhere IMHO

Quite a thrilling experience to be in that room.

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the Bass collection isn’t dispersed since I haven’t had the opportunity to see it yet! My family got to see it two years ago and sent me pictures, and I recently picked up the Early US Gold Coin Varieties book that’s illustrated with the Bass collection, but I’d still like to see it in person.

At least people are able to see and appreciate the Bass collection since it is displayed at the ANA Money Museum. From what I’ve gathered, though, most of the NNC lives in cabinets and never sees the light of day. I would be okay if some of those undisplayed NNC coins were sold so that they could be appreciated by collectors.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@edwardjulio said:

Probably, for most of what is in them, yes.

I'd like to have a chance to buy some of the ANS coins in the series I collect if ever offered for sale, depending upon what it looks like and if they actually have what is listed on the website.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting how many people want the collection sold.

I guess it's better that one person get to see the coin for the next 20 years rather than hundreds?

It would be great if all the numismatic collections were sold so no one saw 33 double eagle or a 13 liberty nickel for the next 25 years. Imagine how special it would be 25 years from now when one finally emerged from hiding. End sarcasm.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

I guess it's better that one person get to see the coin for the next 20 years rather than hundreds?

It would be great if all the numismatic collections were sold so no one saw 33 double eagle or a 13 liberty nickel for the next 25 years. Imagine how special it would be 25 years from now when one finally emerged from hiding. End sarcasm.

You are making a big assumption that only one collector will get to see the coins. I have seen some incredible coins owned by private collectors at large coin shows. I havent seen it but ive heard that the ongoing exhibition of The Tyrant collection is amazing. Further, if those collections are sold then we will have an opportunity to view them first hand during the auction preview.

• Options

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You are making a big assumption that only one collector will get to see the coins. I have seen some incredible coins owned by private collectors at large coin shows. I havent seen it but ive heard that the ongoing exhibition of The Tyrant collection is amazing. Further, if those collections are sold then we will have an opportunity to view them first hand during the auction preview.

Except you can't guarantee that will happen. Some people display, some don't. Whereas numismatic museums DO display.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Except you can't guarantee that will happen. Some people display, some don't. Whereas numismatic museums DO display.

No gurantees of course but honestly there is no gurantee a muesum will display a coin or display a coin in a way others can enjoy. As i said earlier, i think collectors are the best stewards of coins

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whereas numismatic museums DO display.

I could name several museums that have significant numismatic holdings and the material hasn't seen the light of day for decades.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Except you can't guarantee that will happen. Some people display, some don't. Whereas numismatic museums DO display.> @2ndCharter said:

I could name several museums that have significant numismatic holdings and the material hasn't seen the light of day for decades.

NUMISMATIC museums? I specifically indicated numismatic museums. Of course, non-numismatic museums have all kinds of things they don't display.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of the Bass collection was auctioned by Bowers and Merena in the late 1990's over 3 or 4 auctions.

At least the remaining Bass Foundation collection is viewable online.

Most or all have decent photos such as the one below.

Coin Collection Gallery:

hbrf.org/coin-collection/

Below is one of the more lustrous photos from here:

hbrf.org/coin-collection/coin/hbcc-3081/

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Privately owned collections are almost never available for research. Public collections are usually accessible for legitimate study. Some "public" collections are nearly useless, however, because of access restrictions - the Michelson Collection is a prime example.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Privately owned collections are almost never available for research. Public collections are usually accessible for legitimate study. Some "public" collections are nearly useless, however, because of access restrictions - the Michelson Collection is a prime example.

What is the Michelson collection? What are the restrictions?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Connecticut State Collection, bequeathed by Mitchel son on his death a century ago. Filled with beautiful coins and real "First Strike" coins provided direct from the US Mint's collection curator until 1922.

It takes something close to an Act of the State Legislature to carefully examine or photograph pieces. They have a tiny budget, very limited security beyond the vault, and want no visitors.

• Options

I wouldn't mind seeing parts of it sold, i.e. the 1870-S $3. I think the sale of that coin would be a headline for the hobby.

I think the Smithsonian should sell the 1849 $20 too though. An APR like that would increase public interest in our industry far greater than just sitting in a display.

Brian Hodge
    Partner, President of Numismatics
    Minshull Trading

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Swampboy said:
    The Bass exhibit in Colorado Springs is worth the drive/flight from anywhere IMHO

Well if the collection gets sold intact the ANA could use that room to display all of the thrilling lawsuits settled over the years.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Swampboy said:

Well if the collection gets sold intact the ANA could use that room to display all of the thrilling lawsuits settled over the years.

m

I think they'll need a bigger room than that. :#

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Swampboy said:

m

I think they'll need a bigger room than that. :#

If they include the behind the scenes footage....... for sure

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Except you can't guarantee that will happen. Some people display, some don't. Whereas numismatic museums DO display.> @2ndCharter said:

NUMISMATIC museums? I specifically indicated numismatic museums. Of course, non-numismatic museums have all kinds of things they don't display.

When I went to the Smithsonian to view the National Coin Collection several years ago, there were many coins that weren't displayed. I don't think it ever displayed some of them either.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

When I went to the Smithsonian to view the National Coin Collection several years ago, there were many coins that weren't displayed. I don't think it ever displayed some of them either.

The NNC has 1.6 million numismatic items and less than 2,000 on display.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2019 3:31PM

@Ronyahski said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gazes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The NNC has 1.6 million numismatic items and less than 2,000 on display.

Good point. Many of the items have never been rotated onto the viewing floor to my knowledge. I'm thinking many of the experimental strike coins like the 1974 aluminum Lincoln test strikes.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I was able to go up to the NNC offices with the curator about a year back and I talked for a while with the staff about the collection. I do wish they displayed more coins at the Smithsonian, but a separate issue is that there is still so much to be cataloged. They often get donations en masse and their staff is relatively small. If I remember correctly, they are currently a couple hundred thousand pieces behind in terms of cataloging, much less creating an exhibit.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file