Home U.S. Coin Forum

Vote on this: Thinking about making a raffle (silver and gold)

coastalpride85coastalpride85 Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
edited July 16, 2019 3:12PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am considering starting a raffle for some coins (all out of my personal collection) just for some summertime fun giveaways. I am thinking between 3-5 winners, with prizes descending in order, entries will be low cost. Each entry will gain a number, then use a random number generator to announce winners.

Vote on this: Thinking about making a raffle (silver and gold)

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt it would be allowed here.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• coastalpride85coastalpride85 Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Vote Yes to a raffle for silver and gold

I sent a message to @HeatherBoyd asking if it would be allowed, being that it is all from my own collection and only within this community, but have not received an answer yet. I figured while waiting for a response I would get the opinion of all the fellow collectors and see what happens from there.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2019 3:39PM

Raffles are a form of gambling. If the coin were a donated prize and the proceeds went to a charity, it might be a different story.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭
    Vote no for a raffle

I put no because it sounds like it wouldn’t be allowed here, but I’m sure Heather would clear it up.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget it.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are legal and statutory issues with raffles, both federal and state. Google around.

Probably not a good idea.
    Lance.

edited July 16, 2019 4:46PM

Ah well, just trying to spark up some healthy coin interest for fun. No harm no foul, I reckon kill the post. I will try to come up with something else.

• I say 👍... people doing holes and making trash from amaizing coins... what else can happen?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vote no for a raffle

I doubt they would approve it. It would be nice though

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds interesting.... not sure if it will be OK here... Cheers, RickO

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have to buy a ticket to enter then you enter a weird realm. Caution is advised.

Since our hosts is in CA the primacy would be to CA but if individuals are from other states then their cross border laws my kick in.

Some reading material for CA:

CA Gambling Control Commission
    http://www.cgcc.ca.gov/

Raffles in CA
    https://oag.ca.gov/charities/raffles

• I apologize for not getting to your question sooner, as others have pointed out, there are a number of legal issues with running raffles so they are unfortunately not allowed on this forum.

Thank you for understanding, I am sure it would be a fun event for many here.

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vote no for a raffle

These happen a lot on IG. You may want to try it there.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@etracoin said:
    I say 👍... people doing holes and making trash from amaizing coins... what else can happen?

You noticed them too eh
    Good eye
    Welcome

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vote no for a raffle

I don't think there is any chance PCGS will allow you to hold a raffle on their site.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The other option would be to do a giveaway. No charge to enter. Those are lots of fun and always welcome.

:)

I hold a small giveaway now and again, was hoping to try something new, but I definitely do not want to break any rules or cause trouble. I will figure something else out. Thank you to all who expressed interest and comments.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coastalpride85 said:
    I hold a small giveaway now and again, was hoping to try something new, but I definitely do not want to break any rules or cause trouble. I will figure something else out. Thank you to all who expressed interest and comments.

You answered yourself.

“Giveaway” = no charges/fees/costs to participants is tried and true and works

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file