Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

There Comes a Time......

flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

and mine has come. No I am not LEAVING the hobby--but I will be moving a significant portion of my collection-- 50-60%. I want to see beautiful sunsets over the water as I grow old(er) and will be putting all sales into a gem mint beach house somewhere close to the water in Narragansett (no not the beer) -- home of some of the most beautiful beaches in the New England area. I do not HAVE to sell--finances are OK and so is my health--thank God--just figures to be a good time to move a lot of unopened, and maybe a few of my registry sets. I've been fortunate to own some great unopened packs and racks and will let someone else treasure my packs for years to come.

I got int this hobby in 1988 while a detective on the Providence PD. A fellow dick--whoops can I say that????----was a marginal collector and we started opening packs of '88 Topps. When '89 Upper Deck came out and we busted boxes only to find gorgeous Griffey Jr rookies---I was all in. I found a love for vintage unopened and started to buy through Mr. Mint who had some of the best unopened finds ever as we all know. I got married in '92 so money was diverted to the family but I still bought many nice unopened packs from the '50s and '60s. Racks--cellos--and wax. Looking back on Mr. Mint's auctions I know that I let some amazing packs and wax boxes go by. I still have most of his ads. Most vintage packs like '60s cellos were going for peanuts--most at or around $150. What are they worth now?

And then came Teletrade--who remembers them? One of the 1st computerized auctions there was I think. Mark Murphy--the Baseball Card Kid--was another person who I got a lot of stuff from. I regret not buying a '52 wax pack from him for --gulp--$1200! He had a find of a bunch of '52 packs from a woman out west--cannot recall where. I think he had several bricks of them and put them up on the Bay. Wow--wish I had that time machine Kenny Meyer talks about all the time--lol to all those who get his many emails.

This hobby has been a very good one to me--both in the "investment aspect" and in meeting and being a part of a great hobby with some great people. I am not moving any unopened Red Sox stuff--my kids will when I roll the inevitable 7--but most everything else is up for grabs. Some of the higher end stuff will go to an AH in the future--not sure which--but I intend to move most of it by late fall.

Surprisingly this has not been that difficult a decision. Maybe because I will not be leaving altogether and will stay on these boards and others. Nevertheless moving some of these packs and cards that I have cherished--for 20-25 years---is a little surreal. But I am hoping to do a few other things in the next few years that will let me own a few of these beach houses to generate income and to spend more time near the water and less time in court or the office. I love my packs and collection but I never really see or "play with them"--as my GF says--so why not? Honestly with the prices of vintage unopened lately it'll be interesting to see what some of these packs go for. I'll continue to buy Red Sox unopened stuff and work on my mid 60s registry sets--so I'll be around. It might just be that I'm on a beach chair in Gansett doing so---

I've started moving some stuff and will post threads in the BST forum over the next few months. There is a thread I started yesterday with some nice stuff

So thank you to all of you who have made my hobby so enjoyable. I look forward to sharing more stories and seeing you next year in Atlantic City. And remember buy what you like and keep this a hobby that continues to grow.

Comments

• flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

My Dad lives close to the beach and can see the Block Island ferry come and go each day from his back patio.

I understand fully where you are coming from priority wise and have begun the rationalization process of selling parts of my collection to fund a higher order of want and need for the tail end of my life.

Good for you and good luck!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2019 7:53AM

Wow Manny, that's a great story. I think the '52 wax pack find was in the Seattle area. I saw BBC Kid selling them at the National in Anaheim in the mid 1990s. I too wish I had bought a pack or two. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you have for sale. Any teasers? I know you have a 1960 cello with Mantle/Boyer on top. Mike thanks you for not opening them over the years. :)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your service to public safety. That was a great story, I really enjoyed it. I didn't know about that 52 wax pack find. That's amazing. I love hearing about those kinds of treasures being found. That's like something out of an Indiana Jones movie. I hope everything works out well for you.

• CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

@Flatfoot....I did the exact same thing 3 years ago. Sold my #1 Heisman trophy winners rookies set. Realized well over 100K and used the money to help build my (and wife's) new Lake house in Indiana. You wont regret it...good luck!

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Manny, I’ve already privately wished you luck, but I wanted to add this: don’t be a stranger! You’re one of the best guys in this great hobby and we all want to continue to see plenty of you on CU!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Manny, I did the same over the past few years to fund a couple real estate projects and have not regretted it. While the price of some of the unopened I sold has continued to move up, sometimes you just have to be happy with gains made and not worry about trying to time the market.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Manny...

Great story of your collecting career. And yes...I remember and bid on Teletrade. Good luck on your future adventures!
    PS...I need a few 60s wax packs to complete my 60s run...I will be watching for your treasures.

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with the sales. Hope your collection finds good homes and you enjoy what the funds let you do.

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Don’t quit the boards!! Glad to hear though that you do have a plan in place!!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

32 years with the Department I’m assuming? Congrats on eyeing a successful retirement 🍻👍

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Manny

First and foremost - you're a class act buddy.

And then came Teletrade

If memory serves, that was an extension of Greg Manning Auctions?

He had a find of a bunch of '52 packs from a woman out west

If we're talking about this lady? Boy am I ever with you!

Tho, I did take advantage of BBCKid/Murphy and Mr/Al/Mint and picked up some really good buys. Wish it were more?
    Am I greedy or what?

I wish you all the best and of course - best of luck - with your auctions.

BTW, I once wanted to retire to Nantucket. I chose the warm climate clear of earthquakes, sink holes, tornadoes, hurricanes and icy roads.

If I choose to hit AC next year - will be looking forward to saying hi.

Mike
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck, I remember when I first joined the boards a member sold his collection to buy a car. He probably could have bought a House today with that same collection.

• Do you think your collection will hit the million dollar amount after all said and done ?

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

....when we heed a certain call....

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    Time the market? I thought this was a hobby and money didn’t matter?

I’ll miss your guns. When you have em, you admire the bros that have em too.

BroLife

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

It is a hobby, but for many (most?) there is an obvious acknowledgment that what they collect is truly a store of value - like precious metals. I sold off some of my collection a few years ago to fund certain things. I’m now in a mode where I could not. But I do applaud those who recognize the incredible valuations achieved and move some product to better their life. Let us not forget that our enjoyment of each day is the most precious commodity one can have.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be forever indebted to you Manny for you helped me snag my Cubs Canon Maddux rookie from the Natty years ago. You are selfless and have made a positive impact on the boards and the collecting commnity. Best of luck as you sell your collection and start your new role as beach bum!

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

hello everyone--thank you for all the kind words. Like I said I'll depart with 60% or so for now and see where I go from there. Who knows where it'll eventually fall. Still collecting Red Sox unopened and debating on to sell or not to sell my '61 Fleer basketball set. And I cannot sell my Yaz Master set---so I'll be around--just maybe posting from the beach in the future. Have fun at the Natty and post plenty of unopened pics. See you in AC next year!