Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old School Error Coin Certification By Error Trends Magazine Arnie Margolis

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got this old school error certification by Error Trends Magazine signed by Arnie Margolis.

My plan was to cut this coin out and have it certified like all my coins. Once I got it in, I think I may want to keep this the way it is.

Very cool item .....

Learn more about Arine Margolis in Fred's thread here ....

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/851440/arnie-margolis-passed-away-added-my-thoughts

Comments

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I would leave as is even though I do not collect plastic

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely awesome and should be kept in the original packaging (which in this case should be more valuable than a new era slab).

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave it as is

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool piece and documents. Is that a PVC flip though?

• Options

A slab is not going to tell you anything you don't already know. You know how to authenticate it.
    The grade is irrelevant.
    The history is kewl.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few of those my grandfather submitted back in the day, along with the copies of the magazine with the write up.

while I suspect it was common, I even have some hand written notes from Arnie to purchase the submitted errors.

its a great piece of history, its surely valuable but the story/connection are priceless.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bit of history. Another piece of nostalgia I would love to see (listening Fred?) are examples of Lonesome John's catalogues from the early 70's.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool find and I agree that it should be kept intact as is. Unfortunately, it appears he used a PVC flip to house your coin. Keep it stored in a cool dry place to slow down any adverse reaction between the PVC and your coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do. Not. Remove. It.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbing errors is such a shame. More than on any other type of coin, being able to look at the edge and fully inspect each error is key. Slabs rob you of that chance.
    This type of cert is much better imo. Keep it!

• Options
    edited July 15, 2019 7:30AM

@scubafuel said:
    Slabbing errors is such a shame.

It really is a necessity for resale. I know what the coin is. You know what the coin is.

Some of my clients want to be sure what the coin is, thus the certification.

Certified error coins command much higher prices than raw error coins, for sure.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@scubafuel said:

It really is a necessity for resale. I know what the coin is. You know what the coin is.

Certified error coins command much higher prices than raw error coins, for sure.

Good thing this one is already certified ;)

Although I've collected error coins for a long time, I've never had one of these error trends certifications. How difficult is it to view the reverse of the coin?

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@scubafuel said:

Good thing this one is already certified ;)

Although I've collected error coins for a long time, I've never had one of these error trends certifications. How difficult is it to view the reverse of the coin?

Just flip it over, I was able to photograph the reverse of the coin as seen above.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I know. But you have to admit they’re more fun to hold raw in hand if you know what you’re looking at. This may just be one of those days when I want to break the plastic on all my coins.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mornin' --

I'd leave this particular coin on the certificate - as mentioned,
    it's an early example of a 'certified' error coin -

When I get them (rarely nowadays), I try to keep the coin on
    the cert - but, in some cases, he used PVC plastic, and you
    can see the green surrounding the coin, and on the plastic 2x2.

Nice example of Arnie's cert.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

This > @ErrorsOnCoins said:

@scubafuel said:

This is why I feel that slabbing is killing the hobby. Collectors are afraid to think for themselves on the simplest of coins where the grade does not matter.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

ETCM. That brings back many memories. I had about 3 years worth of that mag. and his Error Coin Primer which if i recall was an orange booklet. Also Whitman Redbooks and Bluebooks etc. Sadly, these were lost in the mail by UPS many years ago in one of my frequent moves. But I do have one issue of ETCM that escaped being lost. I also have some correspondence from the early 70's from Arnie, Mort Goodman, Ed Fleischmann, Alan Herbert, packed away. Also in the lost shipping box was my Jean Cohen book on Lincoln Cent errors,The Design Cud by Goodman,Spadones error/variety book and 3-4 years worth of CONE's "Errorgram" which was sent out by the Lindseys from Dresden,Ohio within their local newspaper Post-Transcript. This loss of educational material hurts just as much as losing a coin.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2019 7:31AM

Leave it!

Interesting that there is no Blakesly Effect. It is not always there, and this shows that in spectacular fashion.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Leave it@

Interesting that there is no Blakesly Effect. It is not always there, and this shows that in spectacular fashion.

I would disagree. The design rim is flat/wide from about K2 - K5 on the obverse. The same effect is seeen on the reverse. Though, it is still just one method of helping determine authenticity of the clip.

• Options

Definitely a Blakesley.

• Options

Bluejayway - thanks for bring up so many names and memories.

I have a complete set of CONE's publications, as well as lots of other early printed
    error material - and I knew personally all of the names except I never met
    the Lindsey's. I'll have to figure out where to donate all my error publications
    in a few years.

There is a nice defining Blakesley Effect on the quarter.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I guess I do see what you are referring to. I've seens stronger on smaller clips - I guess I had expected the larger clip to have an even more pronounced effect.

• Options

Actually, I've noticed that in many cases,
    the larger clips (of any denomination) sometimes
    show only a weak Blakesley Effect, compared to
    a smaller, 3% to 10% clip, for example..

• Options
    edited July 16, 2019 9:46AM

@FredWeinberg said:
    Actually, I've noticed that in many cases,
    the larger clips (of any denomination) sometimes
    show only a weak Blakesley Effect, compared to
    a smaller, 3% to 10% clip, for example..

Absolutely the case.

And thank you, Fred, for contributing to this thread.

The coin shows no sign of green PVC damage so I will leave the Certificate as is as a piece of history.

I had my choice of a few of these certificates and I chose the one with the biggest error coin.

• Options
    edited July 16, 2019 10:05AM

@CaptHenway said:
    This > @ErrorsOnCoins said:

@scubafuel said:

This is why I feel that slabbing is killing the hobby. Collectors are afraid to think for themselves on the simplest of coins where the grade does not matter.

I rarely disagree with you, but in this case, I do.

My customers constantly ask for slabbed coins or if the raw coins that I have will grade MS (and guaranty that it is MS) so that the coin will slab as MS.

New error collectors may be afraid to think for themselves so they trust the Error Coin Label.

Specialized, expert error collectors realize that their raw coins are worth more if slabbed. They also like the consistency and protection of slabbed coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file