Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New members.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one who has noticed a sudden influx of members posting with less than 100 posts, sometime less than 25?? What's up with that?? Not only is there suddenly lots of new members but they all seem confused and sort of argumentative. Is that accidental or purposeful??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The arguments are on purpose, by people who think they know better than the experts. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised how often people ask for help and then disregard the information provided.

• Options

I know I lurked for about a year and entered slowly. I still recall my first post, it was in a thread about TPG grading, big surprise, and I essentially said I will trust the graders because of their experience and the fact that they view hundreds of coins every day. from there I formed relationships with other members, asked for help with navigating the sight, LordM uploaded an icon for me and I tried to learn about what I didn't know.

the new breed isn't like that. they are tech savvy, Numismatically challenged and don't seem willing to learn properly.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have noticed the same thing.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

the new breed isn't like that. they are tech savvy...

Pity they don't seem to want to use that "savvy" to do a little preliminary research before debating people who disagree with their opinions. I understand there's thing called the interwebs that has lots of stuff on it, as a start. ;)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2019 3:13PM

@keets said:

>

the new breed isn't like that. they are tech savvy, Numismatically challenged and don't seem willing to learn properly.

The younger tech-savvy younger generation seems smarter than my generation.

All those tech gadgets help their brain, IMO.

I have seen it first hand-raising two children.

Also, the cartoons of today that my kids watched were all about learning and how to act in society as opposed to the cartoons of my generation where they hit each other in the head in a violent way.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure hope it isn't one guy with twenty alts.
    :(

peacockcoins

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Warm summer, many people in doors to get away from the heat? That's the only reason I'm online this weekend.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think some of the disagreement is due to the YouTube "get rich from pocket change" junk. Some new collectors never get the while story on how truly difficult these rarities are to find. Then when you take the time to tell them their PMD treasure is only worth face value, they jump all over you.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arguing and insisting on having the last word has become great sport here lately.

Most of it is reactionary.
    Someone respected writes a paragraph, a new keeper of knowledge writes 4 paragraphs to the contrary.
    Lather, rinse, repeat.
    You can set your watch to it.

The byproduct is some valuble members have been driven away.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the newbies are a PITA. Like they have had a sheltered upbringing where nothing ever goes against their belief.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

Facts will lead you to the truth.

• Options
    selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

I hope no one on this forum (other than the day drinkers) actually measures knowlege by their posting total.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

They can lead you there. But some people refuse to accept it, because they would prefer a different truth.

There is no such thing if you follow the facts.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2019 4:25PM

As a former Internet (unrelated) hobby forum Admin, don’t underestimate the tenacity of a few disgruntled people to troll the place.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MFeld said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

They can lead you there. But some people refuse to accept it, because they would prefer a different truth.

There is no such thing if you follow the facts.

I didn’t say (or mean to imply) that there is, only that some “would prefer a different truth”. Perhaps I should have added “..which doesn’t exist”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the 1982-83 parking lot damaged penny find crowd has changed their/his tactics. Basically the same routine but with a much more sophisticated approach. If nothing else It shows a talent for creative adaptation on their/his part. I don't mind.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    If the past is any indicator, I suspect some of them are ALTs.

That’s what I’m skeptical of - someone, or more than one, former member back and baiting and trolling the diehard members.

Like the OP, I lurked for a long time, then intro’d myself with an informative post about a clever fake ‘77 Indian cent I had identified on eBay. After contributing for a while, I ventured onto the BST to start doing some business, and the rest is history.
    These folks that jump onto the BST with no ‘forum cred’, looking for offers on faux modern mint errors, are annoying....but it is a somewhat public forum. I always figure Heather will nail them sooner or later, and forum life can get back to normal lol!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

@Brian_Hodge said:
    A lot of people lurk. I read the messages like I read news headlines. Good source of seeing varying opinions, I just don't enter the frey. In my experience arguing is bad for business and little comes of it, especially with such a highly subjective hobby. Live and let live is a good motto to live by. Not saying a good debate isn't sometimes healthy though, and can be fun. But there's a difference in arguing for the sake of arguing and having a productive, worthwhile discussion.

This is a prudent person

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like the troll attacks are fewer than several months ago when Heather was a newbie. I recall days when the first page was brimming with new troll posts (carpet bombed). I'm thinking she did some serious weeding out of the alts after that. THANK YOU @HeatherBoyd .

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trolls.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

While not technically a new member by date (I joined in 2017), I have started to post more regularly here in the last 6 months or so. I'm neither a troll nor an alt...just some coin dude in New York. I've been collecting since I've been a kid or about 40 years. :)

• Options

people are far more likely to argue/not believe you, if you tell them something they don’t (as opposed to what they do) want to hear.

true story from last Thursday --- a guy comes into the store and when I greet him at the counter he shows me a little bag with a brown Lincoln Cent in it. he says it's a transitional cent and wants me to examine it. I look at it in the bag and tell him it's a 1982-D and that I'd have to weigh it. he says he already did and it weighs 3.2 grams, so tell him it's a copper cent and we'd buy it for .012 cents. he looks sort of indignant and tells me he's seen them on the internet for as much as $5,000.

I explained to him that we have rolls of them that are bright red that I can sell to him for about .15 cents. he walked away and sort of looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about, so I told him I would "research" the pricing he told me about and that he should come back next week. he shook his head left. :)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    people are far more likely to argue/not believe you, if you tell them something they don’t (as opposed to what they do) want to hear.

true story from last Thursday --- a guy comes into the store and when I greet him at the counter he shows me a little bag with a brown Lincoln Cent in it. he says it's a transitional cent and wants me to examine it. I look at it in the bag and tell him it's a 1982-D and that I'd have to weigh it. he says he already did and it weighs 3.2 grams, so tell him it's a copper cent and we'd buy it for .012 cents. he looks sort of indignant and tells me he's seen them on the internet for as much as $5,000.

I explained to him that we have rolls of them that are bright red that I can sell to him for about .15 cents. he walked away and sort of looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about, so I told him I would "research" the pricing he told me about and that he should come back next week. he shook his head left. :)

Apparently, he thought it was a small date example.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@keets said:

Apparently, he thought it was a small date example.

More likely he just saw a big number on the internet and did no further research.

This discussion has been closed.