Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

W Quarters

Are these 2019 W quarters worth as mus=ch as people are paying for them. Seems crazy to me.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2019 10:25AM

They are worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them.

Is it not the same for any other numismatic item? Or for any item in general?

For some the drive is the registry; or to have all the West Point coins (I think the only one that has not been minted is the Nickel); or to fill a “spot”; or to have a West Point quarter in general.

Why does anyone pay more than face value for coin that is not made of a PM?

Which takes me back to...

They are worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the mintage, and reflect on the number of collectors.

2,000.000 per design. Are there 2.000.000 W quarter collectors?

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the pcgs graded first week of discovery w quarters have very low populations and the prices reflect that

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

You don’t have to have 1 for every collector.......ASEs come to mind. And far less coins are going to find their way into collections in decent shape. This has been talked about before. I think years from now people will be roll searching for these much like they are doing right now.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are still many quarters that haven't even left the banks yet. Some will grade in higher grades than we see now. The only thing missing will be the Early Discovery or First Strike labels....which makes me think of something I heard on this forum many times.....Buy the coin, not the label.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it was just to have a W coin of each type.... now I must wait impatiently for the mint to make a W nickel...Who knows ... I may not even live that long ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not mind finding one...I simply wont buy it for over face...TPG not required.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

As stated above, the price is market driven. In a few years these will come down in price, again by how much depends on the "fad" level among the collecting community. As for a direct answer to your question, one dealer is running an add listing the first release for $35 and the second for $45. That is insane. The question now is, are they getting the price?

While we're on the West Point topic, from the beginning everywhere I saw there were numerous complaints aimed at the U.S. Mint pertaining to the quality of the included W Lincoln Cents. Spots, scrapes, dings whatever. Although I have received all three from buying this years sets mine are flawless. Yet with as many negatives flying around about them common sense dictates that there must be some truth to the outcry. That said, both PCGS and NGC have numerous MS and PF 70 coins graded. The late night marketeers have hundreds for sale. I now wonder about the accuracy of the grade when factoring in the level of complaints and returns. Or are they graded as such to further drive the market? Just my thinking out loud.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cannot use grade count from TPGS as a basis. Since there is an option not to slab coins below a certain grade level the numbers will be skewed.

Ex: Send in 100 coins but stipulate not to slab anything below a 69.

The TPGS pop report shows 10 - MS70; 30 - MS 69 and the rest are not slabbed and not counted.

Pop report then appears skewed, why no 68’s and below.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file