Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A couple of 1837 quarter NEWPS

VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I recently picked up a couple of 1837 quarters. 1837 has the second lowest mintage in the small sized capped bust quarter series. Although it is roughly on par with 1834 in terms of mintage, in my experience, it is far more difficult to find nice examples of 1837. I thought it might be fun to show these two together. We can do a GTG if people want. Thoughts/opinions welcome. I don't have my own images yet, so I'm just using the sellers' images here. Thanks for looking.

First up: B-3, R-4 (David Kahn's images):

Next up (Northeast Numismatics' images). This is one that changes colors depending on how you rotate in the light, so it's tricky to capture.

Comments

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! I agree that it is hard to find nice 1937 examples. I think you will be very pleased with the Northeast Numismatics coin. Their photos are usually pretty accurate.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful. Like 'em both.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

Nice coins! I love the look of the David Kahn example. Those original, richly but not too deeply toned surfaces are great.
    It’s kind of a low profile kick ass coin.
    I believe you have a 40/CAC & a 45

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice scores

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can appreciate the originality of the Kahn coin, but really like the obverse color on the NE coin.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking bust quarters. Well done. Love the die crack.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them both, if one is good two is better.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old coins... I prefer the second one, mainly due to less wear....but both are good. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments, everyone.
    In case anyone was wondering, they are PCGS VF-35 and ANACS XF45. The 45 is in an older white holder. I know that some people like these--what do people think about cracking it out and submitting to our hosts? I think it will go 40, possibly 45. If I did cross it, both would head to CAC at some point, since a couple mentioned that.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find the pic of the second 1837 a little tricky to decipher but if no issues in hand then id agree with your 45 guess if you submitted to PCGS.
    Great to see some pieces from your small size quarter set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file