Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I got an intriguing private message last week.

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

A member sent me this message last week:

Dear Sir or Lord,

Please send exactly $1 to the following address. That way I will break even on what I'm sending to you and then can "return a favor":

[name and address]

This is not a scam or crank mail. Please just do it.

Best regards,
Rick

How would you have responded?

I'll tell you what I did. I got a dollar bill out of my wallet and mailed it to the address provided. I mean, how could I not, right?

Rick (whose username was noddingly familiar to me but not extremely so) definitely knew how to pique my interest.

But after a couple of days, I all but forgot the whole thing.

Then last night I got another message from him.

You're probably wondering what this is all about. I thought I'd have some fun, ask for $1 and surprise you but now wonder if that's coming off as a bit too weird from your perspective so I'll explain what I'm doing.
[ ... ]

So he explained.

And wow, I am indeed surprised.

He need not have worried. While the $1 request was unusual, I thought it was fun.

Now that I've heard what my mystery purchase is, I wish I had sent him a silver dollar, at least!

I anticipate this coin to arrive today; perhaps within the hour.

And I'm excited about that.

Care to guess what it is? I'll throw out some hints.

• It is an old United States Type coin.
• One side of it was planed off and re-engraved as a love token, sometime in the 19th century, in a style consistent with the early- to mid-1800s. Rick apparently learned of my enthusiasm for love tokens.
• It is worth considerably more than the $1.55 (dollar bill + stamp) I gambled on it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Intriguing.
    Looking forward seeing it.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look forward to seeing it LordM.... (by the way, I was not the 'Rick' in the event). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2019 7:37AM

Interesting thread.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

The LT he is sending is also a "wow", though not as big a wow as one done on an 1825 quarter-eagle.

A pretty darned big "wow" for a buck-fifty-five investment, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please let us know when you have it in hand.

• Options
    edited July 12, 2019 8:23AM

Below is the seller's picture of the engraved side of the piece I should be getting (tomorrow, maybe- it wasnt in today's mail.)

Pretty standard 19th century engraving. Script initials. That's common. The style is early- to mid-1800s. Probably pre-Civil War.

Not the best pic. Big stupid Photobucket watermark. Kinda dark, but that's how the coin is toned.

Usually, with a love token, the engraving is what counts. But in this case, that's not the interesting side.

• Options

@SiriusBlack said:
    This sounds intriguing! I don’t know if you have a significant other, but if so, do they know you’re receiving love tokens from random near strangers on a shady coin message board on the interwebs? :D:D

Ladymarcovan is cool with it. :p

• Options

The coin is silver.

The obverse is the side which got re-engraved (as seen above).

But despite the obverse being gone, the coin is dateable to a single year/variety. (And that's the interesting part.)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let see! :o

• Options

The reason for the $1 price is because that is what Rick himself paid for it, in a lucky cherrypick many years ago. Hence his "break even" comment.

• Options

Another clue:

What is the most common denomination of US coin used as a host for 19th century love tokens?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Suspense to see it in-hand from @lordmarcovan!

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    Another clue:

What is the most common denomination of US coin used as a host for 19th century love tokens?

Why, Liberty Seated Dimes of course!

I like them on seated quarters and bust halves.

• Options
    edited July 12, 2019 9:39AM

@CircCam said:

@lordmarcovan said:
    Another clue:

You're right about Seated dimes being the most common type used as love token hosts.

But I didn't say type.

I said denomination.

So you're halfway right. ;)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent a similar request to my ex for back child support. Told her I would ensure the kids turned out alright. The message went unanswered, 7 grandkids ago.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CircCam said:

@lordmarcovan said:
    Another clue:

Cool thread.

@CircCam what is your avatar coin? It looks awesome.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing it's on a Bust Quarter!

• Options

The obverse of the coin is the side I have shown, which got removed in the process of the love token engraving.

But the coin is dateable to one specific year and variety, by the reverse alone (which has decent VG details, as you'll see later).

The answer can be found if you look long enough into the crystal ball ...

• Options
    edited July 12, 2019 11:43AM

Another obscure clue, hidden in some of these pictures of my daughter's 2017 birthday party.

(It's kinda like reading one of those funky captchas.)

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

1875-S Twenty Cent piece?

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

@CircCam said:

@lordmarcovan said:
    Another clue:

You're right about Seated dimes being the most common type used as love token hosts.

But I didn't say type.

I said denomination.

That would make it a 20c piece.

• Options

@MWallace said:

Nope. Excellent guess, though, since an S-mint 20c piece would be dateable to 1875 by the reverse alone. But it is not a 20c piece.

• Options

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    1916 SLQ?

That would be cool, but this coin got engraved before Abe Lincoln died, most likely.

• Options

@messydesk said:

@lordmarcovan said:

@CircCam said:

@lordmarcovan said:
    Another clue:

But I didn't say type.

I said denomination.

That would make it a 20c piece.

Good guess, but no. It is not a Seated dime, nor is it a 20c piece.

Not a trime. Not a SLQ, 1916 or otherwise.

• Options

Stare into the crystal ball I posted above. Examine the pictures of my daughter's birthday party.

The clues are there. Cryptic, but there.

• Options

I think @ElmerFusterpuck went for the 1916 SLQ based on the clue in those birthday party pix.

Wrong answer, but barking up the right tree in terms of numerical clues.

Now he just needs to look into that crystal ball a little more closely...

• Options

They solved the riddle over on CoinTalk. I thought for sure the Type coin gurus here would crack it first. ;)

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have not seen the answer. But will take a guess at a 16 star reverse 1798 dime.

But that must be wrong because that is too good of a deal.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

1853 Arrows & Rays quarter? But if so how did Rick get it for $1?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    edited July 12, 2019 1:09PM

The cryptic clues?

The crystal ball had stars.

"16" on the birthday balloons.

16 stars. To my knowledge, only one US silver coin had 16 stars on the reverse: the 1798/7 dime.

(Some 1797 dimes had 16 stars, but only on the obverse, since those had the Small Eagle reverse instead of the Heraldic Eagle seen here.)

• Options

Will post better pix when it arrives. Perhaps tomorrow.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought stars when I saw the crystal ball but the only coin I could think of without looking at a reference book was the 1836 Gobrecht dollar. I thought, no way.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    edited July 12, 2019 1:14PM

@tommy44 said:
    I thought stars when I saw the crystal ball but the only coin I could think of without looking at a reference book was the 1836 Gobrecht dollar. I thought, no way.

Oh, that would have been amazing! But it seems the "starry" variant of the Gobrecht dollars had 26 stars around the eagle. (I had to look that up.)

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Great deal.

Your clues led me to figure it had to be a dime. With no date visible and the stars and 16 in the photos, looked at the Red Book and this looked like a possibility.

Any idea of the circumstances of the original $1 purchase?

Guessing it had to be a non-coin person who thought it a cheap button or token. Maybe a flea market or antique store.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

@MWallace said:

Nope. Excellent guess, though, since an S-mint 20c piece would be dateable to 1875 by the reverse alone. But it is not a 20c piece.

last year a local coin shop had a 20c love token, the reverse was obliterated. Knowing my thing for the double dimes, he challenged me to identify it. It was a 1875-CC, BF-3 or BF-4.

• Options

I'm pretty stoked.

Since I feel an obligation to "pay it forward" some, there WILL be a celebratory giveaway when the coin arrives.

Above and beyond my regular monthly giveaway (which I just posted, BTW).

There will be gold. Old gold. Not big, high-dollar gold, but fun stuff.

More on this later.

• Options

@KindaNewish said:

@lordmarcovan said:

@MWallace said:

last year a local coin shop had a 20c love token, the reverse was obliterated. Knowing my thing for the double dimes, he challenged me to identify it. It was a 1875-CC, BF-3 or BF-4.

I've had some really cool LTs, but never on a 20c host coin. I really like those. One just never crossed my path at the right time.

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

@CircCam said:

@lordmarcovan said:
    Another clue:

But I didn't say type.

I said denomination.

Ah, so you did. :-)

@hchcoin said:

@CircCam said:

@lordmarcovan said:
    Another clue:

Cool thread.

@CircCam what is your avatar coin? It looks awesome.

My first DBH, PCGS F15. Thanks!

• Options

@CircCam - you know who to contact first when you upgrade that DBH and are ready to part with it... ;)

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to believe your little girl is 16. Time flies.

Neat love token.

imageimage

• Options

@GaCoinGuy said:
    Hard to believe your little girl is 16. Time flies.

Indeed it does. Those were old pictures. She'll be eighteen in the fall, and a high school senior. Already making college plans.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file