Home Precious Metals
Options

Any gold watch experts here?

TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

I bought this in the 80's. It is a Waltham. Has 11133610 on inner works. 1043050 in case with guaranteed 14K 25 years. Does not work. Back case does not close. Has tooling marks where a repair was attempted. Thinking of putting it on Ebay. Any info would help. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

More info is available on www.pocketwatchdatabase.com

However from the images movement looks lower grade 7 jewel. Case is a generic gold filled, but with the gold and silver inlays is where the value on this piece is at. To list on ebay focus on the artwork, not so much the watch. I could see this going for 75-100 with good images and description.

The market for these was murdered by the internet, much like coins.

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019 12:39PM

Give me a close up of the case markings with symbols. Low quality 7 j movement $20 parts movement $25 running.

Case is nice, looks like a 16 size. Case should bring 100-200 even if its gold filled.

All depends on the case issue. Are the henges sprung or it won't stay shut from snapping the case closed?

I collect Illinois and Hamilton but let me look some stuff up

• Options
    edited July 7, 2019 12:52PM

Model 99 grade number 610.. 7 jewels 16 size mens multi-color hunter case

• Options

Here's pic of the movement info

• Options

I have my glasses on now. Single sunk porcelain dial with hair lines.
    The case is showing brass after I got off my smartphone. Nothing a collector really needs so parting the watch won't help. Most polish the case to hide the brass showing. I'd say it would bring at least 50 to 75 just for the case if it's cleaned up with brass showing. Good luck.

• Options

Thanks everyone for the great information. I knew people on here would know.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@Jinx86 said:
    More info is available on www.pocketwatchdatabase.com

However from the images movement looks lower grade 7 jewel. Case is a generic gold filled, but with the gold and silver inlays is where the value on this piece is at. To list on ebay focus on the artwork, not so much the watch. I could see this going for 75-100 with good images and description.

The market for these was murdered by the internet, much like coins.

Oops, I was late to the party. :D

• Options

I buy and sell dozens of pocket watches over the counter at our shop. So it was a must to have an account to look up #'s. Sadly you can see the charted prices overtime and the downward momentum. Wristwatches have taken off like crazy though. Never thought I would see vintage Rolexs and Tudors as highlights in major auctions.

• Options

I pawned bucketloads of Rolexes.
    I wear a Seiko. :D

• Options

I used to wear a Seiko, but other dealers kept teasing me. ;)

I only own one Rolex personally, a 1675 GMT from 1968. Very wearable, and extremely easy to liquidate. Have been tempted to pick up one of the new Explorer II's, at 42 mm wide they sit on my large wrist well.

• Options

Rolexes are great to wear in Colombia. :o

• Options

Good general information. How do you determine the value?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of pocket watches... though that one has an attractive case.....as far as wrist watches, my Omega Seamaster serves very well....Cheers, RickO

• Options

I had 2 "regulars" who were dealer/collectors. They would compete.

Never tried this place.
    https://ashton-blakey-antiques.com/

The pocket watch field is dead.

• Options

The pocket watch field is dead.

Just like the coin market widgets and dreck are dead, the flippers aren't making a profit because it's old any longer.

Knowledge is king. You know "buy the book".

I've over paid for watches many of times. There's a lot of money in watches more so than the coin hobby.

Let me join a $12 board and I'll see the state of mechanical watches. After all a Rolex won't be as accurate as your cell phone. All the hobbies seem down currently.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

unless your hobby is the stock market

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Looks like you did fine. If you need a bst board for watches with no sales fees or real expert advice let me know. It will cost you12 dollars a year and we have many watchmakers onsite as well as researches and collectors.

I had my hopes on a couple 19j 60 hour bunns or a ball Illinois. No downtrend there😞 just the common.

That case is all that matters, there's not one like it, unique.

It looks like I imaged, much like the classic comms right now. To some it's bad because the last10 years the market treading water (collectors market). Like coins and currency no one wears a pocket and very few wear wrist watches so high end material matters for both.

L8r

• Options

Here's a couple views on the market. Here's the club's president:
    railroads in a downtrend?

I see the bible of the hobby isn't being printed any longer.

Posts: 171 | Location: Claremore, Oklahoma USA | Registered: January 03, 2003
    Lindell V. Riddle
    IHC President
    Life Member

posted July 09, 2019 00:17  

TOPIC MOVED TO PITFALLS AND LINKED BACK SO WE CAN DISCUSS THIS AMONG MEMBERS ONLY!

Hello and Welcome Back Rick!

YOUR FIRST QUESTION... There is strong interest in top condition examples which are holding steady. As you know, for years I have preached... "Buy only the best, step away from the rest" ...which is more true now than ever!

Collectible Market has been soft recently, the "hit and run" people who were just in for short-term fast-buck profits (what Buster Beck called "ninety-day wonders" the ones who thought they knew it all) paid way too much for lesser examples buried themselves, lost out and took a hike. We have seen this in Collector Cars as well. But the serious, knowledgeable long-term collectors are serious as ever and continue carefully adding top condition examples to their collections.

As in Old Cars we are experiencing the hobby dividing into two main segments, there is a huge gap between the top condition and lesser ones showing advanced wear. In the near future I will be selling some really nice items to SUPPORT IHC due to the loss of watch guide sales which at our level of sales were a significant part of IHC Income. Which brings on your second question...

YOUR SECOND QUESTION... Last real edition of the watch guide was 2016 / 2017, so we stocked-up on them for those coming into the hobby. As an encyclopedic knowledge-base the last few years will always be worthwhile for reference so I recommend having a copy ready at home, at your office and in your car. For 2018 it was essentially unchanged, nothing new, just a sad last-gasp of a once-great publication. One of only 6 full-page paid advertisements remaining was ours. (Now, the gloves come off, so read on.)

The guide drifted after the 2013 passing of Cooksey Shugart who shortly before he sold-out entirely to Ashland Investments' owner Richard E. Gilbert, in his final years was assisted by little-known Publisher Heather Gilbert who really tried. Even after Cooksey died a few of us tried to help Heather update the guide but by 2016 when her father, the elder Richard E. Gilbert died, Heather had already left and along with her stepping-away, the guide soon slipped-away. Our carefully crafted listing updates and new images were ignored. Heather's little brother, Richard E. Gilbert's son "Richie" (Richard M.) and a self-appointed-expert in "wristies-only" associate of his had been peddling (some would say misrepresenting) lesser condition, often "put-together" watches to uninformed buyers in recent years and in my opinion they rather quickly ran both the family business and the watch guide into the ground. Over the years I have noticed this often happens when those seemingly clueless "born-to-wealth" types take the reins

• Options

Ttown. Thanks for your help. I was very pleased with the auction.