Home Precious Metals
Options

Fractional Ounce Gold

I'm thinking some of your gold holdings should be in fractional ounce gold (coins). If the price of gold went up I don't know how many would be able to afford lots of one ounce increments. Also trading would likely entail smaller lots.

I'm 75 years old, so there is nothing new about me.

Comments

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

And half ounce golden eagles, Maples, kangaroos, etc. are the dogs bark.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huge fan of 1, 5 and 10 gram gold bars here.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The smaller gold coins are a good idea if stacking for hard times....The same principle as having smaller denomination coins for small transactions.....Though the premium is often a bit higher for the small gold...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fractional gold is much more liquid than 1 oz. coins/rounds. The smaller the denomination, the bigger the premium. Like DerryB said, 1/4 oz. AGEs are the way to go imo. They're big enough to have substance in the hand, and can be bought relatively cheap.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019 6:24AM

Ozs work for me. I buy fractionals when the price is right to toss in the box or sack. Just got a 10 Indian and 20 franc rooster at right price to add to box.
    Premiums are generally too high relative to oz s for me.
    However fracs can be sold in any qty without irs report
    as long as .999 except eagles which are exempt, So are good in that regard but in my experience dealers will pay less for fracs than oz s.
    I prefer maples to eagles and buffs above all but buffs are tough at low premiums.

To each their own. Stack on.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

With 1/10 ozers, you do risk giving up the premium when it's time to liquidate, but maybe not. It depends on the situation and timing.

In any event, after you accumulate enough 1/10 ozers, you will inevitably want to branch out for some of the reasons given above. Having metal in different-sized chunks, in different quantities makes good sense to me.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.