Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bigger gold preferences

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 5, 2019 3:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was wondering what people thought was interesting in the upper 4 figure range for gold coins.

Right now I'm thinking of:

• Pre-1777 Spanish colonial gold
  • California Territorial gold

I like the 1776 and earlier dates because it draws me into life in the Colonies.

I like California territorial gold because of it's connection to the Gold Rush.

Anything else interesting in the upper 4 figure range?

Tagged:

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

California territorial gold is what I’d get.

• oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I was wondering what people thought was interesting in the upper 4 figure range for gold coins.

Right now I'm thinking of:

• Pre-1777 Spanish colonial gold
    • California Territorial gold

I like the 1776 and earlier dates because it draws me into life in the Colonies.

I like California territorial gold because of it's connection to the Gold Rush.

Anything else interesting in the upper 4 figure range?

I think your looking at rare gold coins is a good idea but the 1776 territorial may be a coin that is not collected by many.

I would stick with a U.S. coin as the number of collectors for these coins, especially eagles and double eagles is large.

If you find a coin in a grade where the pop starts to be come very low and can get something close to a AU 58 you should do well and the coins easy to sell. I also like branch mint gold.

The coins to avoid are those that show up in almost every Heritage Auction as they don't perform as ell as a PCGS graded coin that meets the above criteria.

Go through the pop reports and look at the prices. Some quarter eagles are very scarce but the price surprising low given the pop. This is because the number of collectors for these coins is low relative to well known gold such as eagles and double eagles.

I like em all but when that much money is in question to me makes the choice it as much of a business decision as buying a coin you like.

If I am able to get a nice AU 53 or 55 $20 1861 O and a 1795 eagle in as high in quality I can my coin purchasing would be nearing the end.

I would start by comparing the coins that are rare and the price seemingly high through the pop reports and Heritage auction results in terms of prices paid.

With respect to non U.S. gold there are collectors far more qualified than I to comment on this material but I cannot think of any group of coins i would rather own than quality, scare AU branch mint type one $20 and early $10 eagles with low pops in AU.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

California

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rebel gold or something Pre Civil War. I would prefer a US Mint coin. Happy hunting.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

California. Boom. Do it.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upper four figures? That's a whole lotta tokens and medals, John!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had a theory that California would be more popular, but it's nice to know for sure. While I've had an interest in both areas for a while, it's now time to do more study.

And yes it can Den, but quantity isn't as important at the moment. My core collections are getting filled out so it's nice to have a goal to look forward to.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stick to U.S. gold (So California would be my recommendation)...However, recently I have seen Spanish gold that is quite attractive...That is a personal observation of mine....and I have considered - though not acted on - the idea of a nice piece to add to my collection, purely for artistic pleasure. Cheers, RickO

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the number of 8 Escudos vs. California gold and I think you'll have your answer.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another vote for territorial gold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file