Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone else viewed Larry Shepherd's proof Indian collection in the Registry Showcase?

bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happened across his showcase set recently. Had to go back and look again tonight. Twenty five years of putting aside some of the nice ones. Congrats Larry!

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/collectors-showcase/toned-coins/larry-shepherd-toned-bronze-proof-indian-cent-major-varieties-collection/album/3779

Comments

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Nicolas Winding Refn of Indian Head Cents.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coins but I don’t understand why he juices the trueviews.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2019 9:04PM

@BeefCurry808 said:

Agree. I think Larry has great coins but also find it very strange that he juices TrueViews and doesn't link to the originals. I'm not sure why he does that. Here's one I ran into. The top is original while the bottom is what was posted on his website.

He doesn't believe in CAC as he has higher standards:

We do not send coins to CAC, we do not support CAC standards which we see as biased, arbitrary, and out of touch with the collector market; and we believe CAC is very harmful to the health of the market, so this coin has not been there.
    [...]
    SIMCO is America’s Top Buy/Sell Dealer in Beautifully Toned, Finest Quality, Higher than CAC Standards, Proof Indian Cents and Mint State Classic Commemoratives (1892-1954)

Here's the PCGS Original TrueView and the SIMCO Juiced TrueView for the 2nd coin in the Registry album, the 1864 Indian Head Cent.

This is a great looking coin so I don't understand why there's a need for the obvious juicing. The juice doesn't even make the coin look much better in my opinion.

• TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

Way over saturated and washed out.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

One year ago at the Summer ANA in Philly, he showcased this set and I was fortunate to see every single coin in the set. Several phenomenal coins.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice the “G” in PCGS and that would be one of adjusted colors.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2019 3:00AM

@Zoins said:

@BeefCurry808 said:

Agree. I think Larry has great coins but also find it very strange that he juices TrueViews and doesn't link to the originals. I'm not sure why he does that. Here's one I ran into. The top is original while the bottom is what was posted on his website.

This thread was not intended to be a Shepherd bashing thread. I would invite you to ask him in person at the next major show why he does this. Dragging him through the mud here on this forum is bad form. There are some amazing coins in that Digital Album link.
    edited to add........ I don't own any blue copper. No horse in that race.

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

Folks here will always get riled when someone alters their coin pictures, for whatever reason. It's disingenuous and bad form!

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread was not intended to be a Shepherd bashing thread.

most threads take on a life of their own, trying to control that direction is futile. given the recent "Blue IHC" thread and the fact that the subject of that and this is the same person it should have been expected.

edited July 4, 2019 7:49AM

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Zoins said:

@BeefCurry808 said:

This thread was not intended to be a Shepherd bashing thread. I would invite you to ask him in person at the next major show why he does this. Dragging him through the mud here on this forum is bad form. There are some amazing coins in that Digital Album link.

I don't think I've bashed Larry. I've mentioned, not in jest, that I think he has very nice coins and I'm genuinely curious why he juices his photos as I don't think it's necessary as I've mentioned. That being said, I do think people looking at his TrueViews, such as in his album you posted above, should be aware that they have been modified as should PCGS because they have indicated they frown upon modifications of TrueViews.

In other posts, such as the blue copper and CAC copper threads, I've given his point of view some attention that would otherwise be lacking. I did not make a judgment on blue copper or CAC copper myself, and there is support for his views here. While his posts may be controversial here, I think that is his intention, especially when he specifically comments on named forum participants. I think the posts are useful because he seems to follow these forums but not post here himself. If anything, I think he may enjoy the discussion that is happening because it is causing debate and there is support for his views. I also haven't seen anyone say the 4 coins in his blog post are the result of MS70 yet.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry does have some Indian Cents. His Classic Commemorative set was a
    superior set. I wish I could've purchased a few of them.

• batumibatumi Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:
    Larry does have some Indian Cents. His Classic Commemorative set was a
    superior set. I wish I could've purchased a few of them.

Indeed it was. I would wager a lot of those have been cracked and crossed and recrossed along with reholders, as I have not seen many of that set offerred for sale. Look at the bright side though, as commems in general have taken a huge hit in the past few years, one can obtain quite a few nice ones for far less thn when Shepard's set was sold.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Zoins said:

@BeefCurry808 said:

I

I don't think I've bashed Larry. I've mentioned, not in jest, that I think he has very nice coins and I'm genuinely curious why he juices his photos. I don't think it's necessary as I've mentioned. That being said, I do think people looking at his TrueViews, such as posted in his album, should be aware that they have been modified as should PCGS because they have indicated they frown upon modifications of TrueViews.

In other posts, such as the blue copper and CAC copper threads, I've given his point of view some attention that would otherwise be lacking. I did not make a judgment on blue copper or CAC copper myself, and there is support for his views here. While his posts may be controversial here, I think that is his intention, especially when he specifically comments on named forum participants. I the posts are useful because he seems to follow these forums but not post here himself.

I hope he’s not intentionally manipulating the images. Is it possible that they appear lighter, by virtue of being posted to his site?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

edited July 4, 2019 11:04AM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Zoins said:

@BeefCurry808 said:

I

I don't think I've bashed Larry. I've mentioned, not in jest, that I think he has very nice coins and I'm genuinely curious why he juices his photos. I don't think it's necessary as I've mentioned. That being said, I do think people looking at his TrueViews, such as posted in his album, should be aware that they have been modified as should PCGS because they have indicated they frown upon modifications of TrueViews.

In other posts, such as the blue copper and CAC copper threads, I've given his point of view some attention that would otherwise be lacking. I did not make a judgment on blue copper or CAC copper myself, and there is support for his views here. While his posts may be controversial here, I think that is his intention, especially when he specifically comments on named forum participants. I the posts are useful because he seems to follow these forums but not post here himself.

I hope he’s not intentionally manipulating the images. Is it possible that they appear lighter, by virtue of being posted to his site?

They don’t seem to just appear lighter, they appear to have been modified. And not all TrueViews are modified the same way. Anything is possible but it would be highly usual if this was a random effect of uploading to a site.

Mark, the original images appear to have been made brighter.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a wonderful set, but a shame that the images seem to be off

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins " This is a great looking coin so I don't understand why there's a need for the obvious juicing. The juice doesn't even make the coin look much better in my opinion."

No question that the TrueView was adjusted. But the adjusted image provides much better visual definition of the coin's devices. Probably a good technique to better evaluate a coin based upon a TrueView image. Might be able to see some defects that are "toned" out in the TV.

OINK

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2019 2:43PM

Nice set!!

It’s refreshing to see somebody doing it their own way and not being influenced And manipulated by a popular yet controversial entity or the general market.

He’s a leader not a follower.

Photos look mildly juiced to me but not too bad.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

@Walkerfan said:
    Nice set!!

It’s refreshing to see somebody doing it their own way and not being influenced And manipulated by another Popular yet controversial entity or the general market.

So the only manipulation you see is with respect to the images and that’s preferable to being influenced by an “entity”? 😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@Walkerfan said:
    Nice set!!

It’s refreshing to see somebody doing it their own way and not being influenced And manipulated by another Popular yet controversial entity or the general market.

So the only manipulation you see is with respect to the images and that’s preferable to being influenced by an “entity”? 😉

I think that the photo manipulation is minor and negligible.

I think that the photo manipulation is minor and negligible as well as unnecessary and misleading.

@Walkerfan said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerfan said:
    Nice set!!

I think that the photo manipulation is minor and negligible.

And how does the “entity” manipulate people?

@MFeld I have already voiced my opinion on this 1000 times. I have nothing further to add.

@Walkerfan said:
    @MFeld I have already voiced my opinion on this 1000 times. I have nothing further to add.

I don’t recall any of your previous posts/opinions accusing CAC of manipulating people, or I wouldn’t have asked the question.

• BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Really apologize for my comment. I didn't think that it would start this. That being said someone above mentioned asking him at a show. I don't have any form of going to a show anytime soon and I once asked on a post of his on FB and it was deleted.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason, I can't get to his website anymore.
    Oh well.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019 3:13PM

Is this the toned copper dealer that Laura loved to slam in her blog posts and in old threads (some may now have been deleted)?

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    For some reason, I can't get to his website anymore.
    Oh well.

Yeah, someone else mentioned a week ago that it was down. Was down for me a moment ago as well.

@cameonut2011 said:
    Is this the toned copper dealer that Laura loved to slam in her blog posts and in old threads (some may now have been deleted)?

I would assume so, as he is anti CAC on his website.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file