Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Did Walmart stop selling retail baseball cards?

I went into my local Walmart and the entire baseball cards display is gone. All the Pokeman cards and other stuff is gone. I asked about it and the manager said that they just got rid of them. No longer selling anything card related.

Is this a local thing or is Walmart not selling nationally?


Later, Paul.
«1

Comments

  • krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

    They still have them near me. I hope they don't get rid of them everywhere. I pickup a lot of cards there when I don't feel like driving to my LCS.

    Kris

    My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

    Yep, a lot of Targets and WalMarts are not carrying cards anymore. It is a high theft item that probably doesn't bring in much profit. I would say only about half of the WalMarts in the San Antonio area carry trading cards any more and maybe a little more than half of the Targets still carry cards.

    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
    image
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not my local Walmart. Just bought a few blasters yesterday.

  • AshleyBrownAshleyBrown Posts: 69 ✭✭

    Target Store in my area have moved them to the Tpy Section (no longer the large section near checkout). Wal-Mart in my area still seems to be upfront

  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2019 2:01PM

    The retail 2018 Optic and Prizm Football Mega Box at Wal Mart were fantastic values this year at $35. The exclusive content really improved the overall value. I'm surprised Wal Mart had them in stock for as long as they did.

    Mike
  • abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

    Where are these located usually? I have never purchased any but might try to pick up a pack or two if I can find them. Thanks.

    Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @abcoltsfan said:
    Where are these located usually? I have never purchased any but might try to pick up a pack or two if I can find them. Thanks.

    Usually up by the self checkout isle.


    Later, Paul.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

    i would never buy packs at walmart or target. The probability that it's all been searched is way too high.

  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I typically see them in the checkout aisle near the end rows. Sometimes they are up against the self checkout area wall on the outside.

    2018 Optic FB Mega and 2018 Prizm FB Mega are sold out everywhere. 10 packs. The Optic Mega went first, you got 10 Red & Yellow Prizms (exclusive) and 1 jersey card. Then the Prizm went soon after, they had 1 auto per box. I really liked the Optic Mega, the Red Yellow Prizms were only made for the rookies, with only 99 rookies each Mega box has 10% of the set. Combine that with a deep draft class (5 first round QBs, Saquon) and the hits per box is pretty high.

    Mike
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    There is a Target Optic Mega box as well. This is the one with the Bronze auto/box. I would avoid that one. The insert ratio is not as good and the auto tends to be worthless or a redemption.

    The Baker Bronze is worth decent money but it tough to pull since the bronze are randomly inserted and not 1 per pack like the red yellow.

    Mike
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The Mega boxes at wal mart were sealed and had the same content, so they weren't searched. Like I said, the Wal Mart 2018 Optic Mega Football Box is one of the best modern football box values in a long time. You can't beat the content for $35.

    However be careful to make sure the boxes are wrapped in the Panini factory wrap. I have seen blasters that were re-wrapped with a clear shrink, those are scam returned boxes. Got burned a couple of times.

    Mike
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ndleo said:
    I typically see them in the checkout aisle near the end rows. Sometimes they are up against the self checkout area wall on the outside.

    2018 Optic FB Mega and 2018 Prizm FB Mega are sold out everywhere. 10 packs. The Optic Mega went first, you got 10 Red & Yellow Prizms (exclusive) and 1 jersey card. Then the Prizm went soon after, they had 1 auto per box. I really liked the Optic Mega, the Red Yellow Prizms were only made for the rookies, with only 99 rookies each Mega box has 10% of the set. Combine that with a deep draft class (5 first round QBs, Saquon) and the hits per box is pretty high.

    I know there are still Optic Mega boxes at, at least one of our local Walmart as I saw them there last week. Been at least a couple there each time I go in for the last few months. Didn't know they were that great of a deal. The Prizm went fast and they still get one or two blasters of that in every couple weeks.

    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’ve traveled a lot lately. One Target in northern VT had very little selection and moved them to the toy section. A Walmart in southern Rhode Island still had them near checkout, but they were almost completely bare.

    Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

    Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2019 4:52PM

    @PROMETHIUS88 said:

    @ndleo said:
    I typically see them in the checkout aisle near the end rows. Sometimes they are up against the self checkout area wall on the outside.

    2018 Optic FB Mega and 2018 Prizm FB Mega are sold out everywhere. 10 packs. The Optic Mega went first, you got 10 Red & Yellow Prizms (exclusive) and 1 jersey card. Then the Prizm went soon after, they had 1 auto per box. I really liked the Optic Mega, the Red Yellow Prizms were only made for the rookies, with only 99 rookies each Mega box has 10% of the set. Combine that with a deep draft class (5 first round QBs, Saquon) and the hits per box is pretty high.

    I know there are still Optic Mega boxes at, at least one of our local Walmart as I saw them there last week. Been at least a couple there each time I go in for the last few months. Didn't know they were that great of a deal. The Prizm went fast and they still get one or two blasters of that in every couple weeks.

    I would buy the Optic Mega and put them away for next season. It will blow up if the QBs do well next year. If they are Optic blasters, I would leave them since the pink refractors are random not per pack. I'm surprised the Prizm went so fast. The odds for a good auto are tough and a lot of the autos are redemptions (including Baker). I haven't seen too many people skunked with Points instead of an auto, but have limited direct break experience. I broke a ton of Optic of all formats and the Wal Mart Mega is by far my favorite.

    Mike
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:
    I can't keep up with all of the different types of cards these days. Prizms, optic mega, baker bronze. What's next, Willy Wonka Oompa Loompa Super Duper Fudge Refractors?

    I know it's crazy. It's been a love/hate relationship with me and Panini Football, but one of the best things they did was upgrade the retail products at Target and Wal Mart.

    Mike
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭✭

    I imagine most real collectors don't bother with them...I mean aren't the ones at big box retailers usually watered down compared to the kind you get from a real hobby pack/box?

    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    2018 Optic Hobby Boxes were around $100 at release and are now $175+. You do get a better shot at one of the big rookie autos and prizms are better. I did get some nice autos, but I also got Rashad Penny and some defensive lineman.

    I bought mega boxes at various Wal Marts and online. I spend a ton on new hobby product, sometimes I like to slum it and buy a low cost box. Here is a sample of the rookies I pulled. It seems there is a pattern in distribution. One batch had Sam Darnold showing up in almost every box, another had Josh Allen. I have to think there is some lucky guy out there sitting on a ton of Baker RCs. I also built two rookie sets, so there are two more of each on top of what you here. The fewest I got were Baker (x2) and Barkley (x3). I also got jersey rookie cards of all the top rookies with multiples for Darnold and Barkley. Not a bad return for probably 25-30 boxes.

    BTW - Go Jets!

    Mike
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Also for 2017 Optic Mega Box, the same applies. You either hit it big or get skunked, but it only costs you $35! Where else can you get such cheap thrills? I also pulled 3 Mahomes Jersey.

    Mike
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:
    I can't keep up with all of the different types of cards these days. Prizms, optic mega, baker bronze. What's next, Willy Wonka Oompa Loompa Super Duper Fudge Refractors?

    You know where I can get them? The wife loves Chocolate.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like Prizm FB Megas are back on the Wal Mart site at $42.61, a rather odd amount.

    Mike
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ndleo said:

    @PROMETHIUS88 said:

    @ndleo said:
    I typically see them in the checkout aisle near the end rows. Sometimes they are up against the self checkout area wall on the outside.

    2018 Optic FB Mega and 2018 Prizm FB Mega are sold out everywhere. 10 packs. The Optic Mega went first, you got 10 Red & Yellow Prizms (exclusive) and 1 jersey card. Then the Prizm went soon after, they had 1 auto per box. I really liked the Optic Mega, the Red Yellow Prizms were only made for the rookies, with only 99 rookies each Mega box has 10% of the set. Combine that with a deep draft class (5 first round QBs, Saquon) and the hits per box is pretty high.

    I know there are still Optic Mega boxes at, at least one of our local Walmart as I saw them there last week. Been at least a couple there each time I go in for the last few months. Didn't know they were that great of a deal. The Prizm went fast and they still get one or two blasters of that in every couple weeks.

    I would buy the Optic Mega and put them away for next season. It will blow up if the QBs do well next year. If they are Optic blasters, I would leave them since the pink refractors are random not per pack. I'm surprised the Prizm went so fast. The odds for a good auto are tough and a lot of the autos are redemptions (including Baker). I haven't seen too many people skunked with Points instead of an auto, but have limited direct break experience. I broke a ton of Optic of all formats and the Wal Mart Mega is by far my favorite.

    I'll have to head there and check them out. I did get a Mayfield Neon green pulsar rookie auto redemption from a Prizm box. Promptly sold that on Ebay for $300.

    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PROMETHIUS88 said:

    @ndleo said:

    @PROMETHIUS88 said:

    @ndleo said:
    I typically see them in the checkout aisle near the end rows. Sometimes they are up against the self checkout area wall on the outside.

    2018 Optic FB Mega and 2018 Prizm FB Mega are sold out everywhere. 10 packs. The Optic Mega went first, you got 10 Red & Yellow Prizms (exclusive) and 1 jersey card. Then the Prizm went soon after, they had 1 auto per box. I really liked the Optic Mega, the Red Yellow Prizms were only made for the rookies, with only 99 rookies each Mega box has 10% of the set. Combine that with a deep draft class (5 first round QBs, Saquon) and the hits per box is pretty high.

    I know there are still Optic Mega boxes at, at least one of our local Walmart as I saw them there last week. Been at least a couple there each time I go in for the last few months. Didn't know they were that great of a deal. The Prizm went fast and they still get one or two blasters of that in every couple weeks.

    I would buy the Optic Mega and put them away for next season. It will blow up if the QBs do well next year. If they are Optic blasters, I would leave them since the pink refractors are random not per pack. I'm surprised the Prizm went so fast. The odds for a good auto are tough and a lot of the autos are redemptions (including Baker). I haven't seen too many people skunked with Points instead of an auto, but have limited direct break experience. I broke a ton of Optic of all formats and the Wal Mart Mega is by far my favorite.

    I'll have to head there and check them out. I did get a Mayfield Neon green pulsar rookie auto redemption from a Prizm box. Promptly sold that on Ebay for $300.

    If you pulled a Baker redemption from a Prizm Mega, I would not buy another box, the statistical gods are against you pulling another one.

    Blowout has a case of 2017 Optic Mega FB (20 boxes/10 packs each/10 Red Yellow Refractors +1 Jersey RC) for $499. If you buy a pack of sleeves and get to $500, they have as $25 coupon getting the price down to $475 or $23.75. That is a great deal for a product that has a Pat Mahomes rookie card. Don't for get you also get the regular base rookies and other refractors. They had 5 case and now they are down to 2. I already got my case to bust during preseason.

    Mike
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

    @jmmiller777 said:
    Yep, a lot of Targets and WalMarts are not carrying cards anymore. It is a high theft item that probably doesn't bring in much profit. I would say only about half of the WalMarts in the San Antonio area carry trading cards any more and maybe a little more than half of the Targets still carry cards.

    My understanding is that cards are essentially a profit only product for the retailers. I believe a third party called Excel is actually the vendor that stocks the card section. I believe Walmart and Target are only charged for inventory when the cards are scanned for sale. Now this information was picked up second hand so it may all be apocryphal, but that is what I have read anyway.

    @ndleo said:

    2018 Optic FB Mega and 2018 Prizm FB Mega are sold out everywhere. 10 packs. The Optic Mega went first, you got 10 Red & Yellow Prizms (exclusive) and 1 jersey card. Then the Prizm went soon after, they had 1 auto per box. I really liked the Optic Mega, the Red Yellow Prizms were only made for the rookies, with only 99 rookies each Mega box has 10% of the set. Combine that with a deep draft class (5 first round QBs, Saquon) and the hits per box is pretty high.

    I know there are still Optic Mega boxes at, at least one of our local Walmart as I saw them there last week. Been at least a couple there each time I go in for the last few months. Didn't know they were that great of a deal. The Prizm went fast and they still get one or two blasters of that in every couple weeks.

    I would buy the Optic Mega and put them away for next season. It will blow up if the QBs do well next year. If they are Optic blasters, I would leave them since the pink refractors are random not per pack. I'm surprised the Prizm went so fast. The odds for a good auto are tough and a lot of the autos are redemptions (including Baker). I haven't seen too many people skunked with Points instead of an auto, but have limited direct break experience. I broke a ton of Optic of all formats and the Wal Mart Mega is by far my favorite.

    Thanks for your information on the FB products. I am primarily a basketball collector, although I will dabble in baseball. I will keep an eye out for the Optic Mega boxes when I am at my WM.

    Steve
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2019 12:29AM

    I got tired of wasting gas and changed strategy.

    I now buy from both Target and Walmart on-line.

    They both offer free shipping if you spend over over 35 bucks (Target card use auto free on anything I believe?)

    With Walmart e.g., make sure the items are from Walmart - as you scroll across the items, eventually you'll come up with items that are not from Walmart.

    Mike
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2019 2:31AM

    @Estil said:
    I imagine most real collectors don't bother with them...I mean aren't the ones at big box retailers usually watered down compared to the kind you get from a real hobby pack/box?

    No, retail product can produce excellent value and high profile pulls. This year when it came to Topps Heritage Baseball for me, retail was a better choice than hobby.

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2019 10:16AM

    @softparade said:

    @Estil said:
    I imagine most real collectors don't bother with them...I mean aren't the ones at big box retailers usually watered down compared to the kind you get from a real hobby pack/box?

    No, retail product can produce excellent value and high profile pulls. This year when it came to Topps Heritage Baseball for me, retail was a better choice than hobby.

    Retail is no longer the red headed stepchild of the hobby. Both companies realized that adding more content would increase sales. For baseball I think two of the hottest products over the past year have been the Target Topps Chrome and 2019 Bowman Mega boxes.

    Also buying retail has re-sparked my love of building sets. At $175+ per box, buying hobby to build sets is a very expensive endeavor since you only get 80 cards. The Megas give you 40 cards for $35. I built and sold a lot of 2017 and 2018 Optic Football sets, they sell very quickly on ebay.

    Mike
  • slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

    here the cards are a big seller and they don't plan to get rid of them.. right now they are expanding the card section at the walmart here to include more baseball , hockey , football , basketball , wrestling , mystery boxes , tri-star boxes , and gaming . even selling card sleeves , binders and hard card holders .

  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @slimies said:
    here the cards are a big seller and they don't plan to get rid of them.. right now they are expanding the card section at the walmart here to include more baseball , hockey , football , basketball , wrestling , mystery boxes , tri-star boxes , and gaming . even selling card sleeves , binders and hard card holders .

    I was driving through rural Michigan last month and the local Wal Mart is basically the area hobby shop.

    Mike
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Stone193 said:
    I got tired of wasting gas and changed strategy.

    I now buy from both Target and Walmart on-line.

    They both offer free shipping if you spend over over 35 bucks (Target card use auto free on anything I believe?)

    With Walmart e.g., make sure the items are from Walmart - as you scroll across the items, eventually you'll come up with items that are not from Walmart.

    I'm with you Stone, both of their websites have really improved and they have a wide selection of boxes. HOWEVER there is nothing like walking into a Target and seeing a stack of 2018 Topps Chrome Baseball Update Boxes just sitting there at $19.99.........and then looking at the face of the cashier when you checkout. It's the small things that make me happy!

    Mike
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

    HOWEVER there is nothing like walking into a Target and seeing a stack of 2018 Topps Chrome Baseball Update Boxes just sitting there at $19.99.........and then looking at the face of the cashier when you checkout. It's the small things that make me happy!

    Mike
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @softparade said:

    @Estil said:
    I imagine most real collectors don't bother with them...I mean aren't the ones at big box retailers usually watered down compared to the kind you get from a real hobby pack/box?

    No, retail product can produce excellent value and high profile pulls. This year when it came to Topps Heritage Baseball for me, retail was a better choice than hobby.

    Agree on this, especially on Heritage. Last year I pulled a 1/1 superfractor and a red ink auto /69 both from retail blasters. Bought 2 hobby boxes and my best hit was blue ink.

    Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

    Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

  • Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

    @DBesse27 said:
    I’ve traveled a lot lately. One Target in northern VT had very little selection and moved them to the toy section. A Walmart in southern Rhode Island still had them near checkout, but they were almost completely bare.

    If you are talking about Westerly store that card section always looks like a bomb went off there.

  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Time4aGansett said:

    @DBesse27 said:
    I’ve traveled a lot lately. One Target in northern VT had very little selection and moved them to the toy section. A Walmart in southern Rhode Island still had them near checkout, but they were almost completely bare.

    If you are talking about Westerly store that card section always looks like a bomb went off there.

    Yup, that’s the one!

    Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

    Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Stone193 said:
    I got tired of wasting gas and changed strategy.

    I now buy from both Target and Walmart on-line.

    They both offer free shipping if you spend over over 35 bucks (Target card use auto free on anything I believe?)

    With Walmart e.g., make sure the items are from Walmart - as you scroll across the items, eventually you'll come up with items that are not from Walmart.

    With the online purchase strategy, less likely to be searched/resealed.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ndleo said:
    The Mega boxes at wal mart were sealed and had the same content, so they weren't searched. Like I said, the Wal Mart 2018 Optic Mega Football Box is one of the best modern football box values in a long time. You can't beat the content for $35.

    However be careful to make sure the boxes are wrapped in the Panini factory wrap. I have seen blasters that were re-wrapped with a clear shrink, those are scam returned boxes. Got burned a couple of times.

    Ok, so I went to another Walmart in town and there were 2018 Optic Mega Boxes....maybe 3 or 4. I picked up one at this point. I don't think anyone else has purchased any. They are $37.48 at my Walmart...before tax. Kind of an odd price. So these are ones I should hold and not rip?? If so, that's going to be tough for me to do.

    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PROMETHIUS88 said:

    @ndleo said:
    The Mega boxes at wal mart were sealed and had the same content, so they weren't searched. Like I said, the Wal Mart 2018 Optic Mega Football Box is one of the best modern football box values in a long time. You can't beat the content for $35.

    However be careful to make sure the boxes are wrapped in the Panini factory wrap. I have seen blasters that were re-wrapped with a clear shrink, those are scam returned boxes. Got burned a couple of times.

    Ok, so I went to another Walmart in town and there were 2018 Optic Mega Boxes....maybe 3 or 4. I picked up one at this point. I don't think anyone else has purchased any. They are $37.48 at my Walmart...before tax. Kind of an odd price. So these are ones I should hold and not rip?? If so, that's going to be tough for me to do.

    Wal Marts pricing can get dodgy at time. The 2018 Prizm Megas in the MI Wal Mart I went to were $37.48 but $34.99 online. I just did the pick up in store option and it went through at $34.99.

    I would open to see if you should buy the other 3. If there is a Baker in there, there could be more in the other 3 boxes. I'm greedy, I would buy all of the boxes, rip one and see what happens with the rest.

    Mike
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ndleo said:

    @PROMETHIUS88 said:

    @ndleo said:
    The Mega boxes at wal mart were sealed and had the same content, so they weren't searched. Like I said, the Wal Mart 2018 Optic Mega Football Box is one of the best modern football box values in a long time. You can't beat the content for $35.

    However be careful to make sure the boxes are wrapped in the Panini factory wrap. I have seen blasters that were re-wrapped with a clear shrink, those are scam returned boxes. Got burned a couple of times.

    Ok, so I went to another Walmart in town and there were 2018 Optic Mega Boxes....maybe 3 or 4. I picked up one at this point. I don't think anyone else has purchased any. They are $37.48 at my Walmart...before tax. Kind of an odd price. So these are ones I should hold and not rip?? If so, that's going to be tough for me to do.

    Wal Marts pricing can get dodgy at time. The 2018 Prizm Megas in the MI Wal Mart I went to were $37.48 but $34.99 online. I just did the pick up in store option and it went through at $34.99.

    I would open to see if you should buy the other 3. If there is a Baker in there, there could be more in the other 3 boxes. I'm greedy, I would buy all of the boxes, rip one and see what happens with the rest.

    I'll probably rip it tonight and pick up the others this weekend. I also got a box of 2019 Bowman hobby that I might rip. Can't seem to keep boxes unopened around here for long. Have an 89 Fleer basketball box BBCE wrapped that is hiding somewhere. Managed to stay out of that one for the year that I've had it.

    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't know what else was good in the box, but these were my red and yellow hits. Got a red and yellow rookie threads of Dj Chark, Jr. With that and a dollar I cant get a cheeseburger at McDonalds.


    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2019 9:51PM

    Winner, winner chicken dinner. Nice box you picked with the Baker Mayfield. If I am understanding him correctly, according to Mike (ndleo), you should buy the remaining boxes and see if there are more Bakers in there as his experienced was getting repeat Red Yellow cards out of his boxes.

    Steve
  • kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

    My Target just remodeled and decided not allocate space for trading cards. When I inquired about it they told me they had the "vendor" pick them all up. :'(

    COLLECTFAIL

  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PROMETHIUS88 said:
    I don't know what else was good in the box, but these were my red and yellow hits. Got a red and yellow rookie threads of Dj Chark, Jr. With that and a dollar I cant get a cheeseburger at McDonalds.


    Bingo Bango! Where is the Wal Mart again you bought the box from? Ha ha. Glad I could help. I got into retail with 2017 Optic Mega. Like said it has been the most enjoyable product I rip every year. Yeah I don’t get the big time auto hits but overall I have made out (especially if Sam Darnold hits next year).

    Buy those remaining Mega boxes, there has to be a red yellow jersey rookie of Baker in there. I know the red yellow isn’t the best looking prizm but it works with Baker and Mahomes with the jersey colors.

    Mike
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You hit on Kerryon Johnson too, he will be the lead back for the Lions new ground and pound offense.

    Mike
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2019 9:28PM

    The manufacturers will seek out new retail distribution if this is all true. They will find it.

    Much of the card woes in these places is because of awful product management.

    ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Bought the other two boxes yesterday but no more Mayfields. Nothing really to speak of. Did get a red and yellow Darnold but it has a surface wrinkle at the bottom. I might go the Panini website and see if I can exchange it. Think I remember them being good about that?? Or at least replace it with something close to equal.

    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭✭

    @softparade said:

    @Estil said:
    I imagine most real collectors don't bother with them...I mean aren't the ones at big box retailers usually watered down compared to the kind you get from a real hobby pack/box?

    No, retail product can produce excellent value and high profile pulls. This year when it came to Topps Heritage Baseball for me, retail was a better choice than hobby.

    As a collector of early-mid 90s insert sets I certainly can see what you mean. Back then they did have exclusive inserts for retail and hobby and for Series 1 and for Series 2. For example, Fleer and Ultra in the mid 90s had exclusive insert sets you could only get in certain pack types...and for those like myself who hope to complete "master sets" of that era then as my other major hobby would say, you Gotta Catch 'Em All.

    I'm not even entirely sure if the hobby and retail exclusives from that era were really any better than one or the other, just different.

    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Trading cards sold in Target are remarkably identical to those seen in Walmart aisles. As a result, some collectors frequently switch between Target and Walmart to finish their collections. The other options are KMarts, Dollar Tree, and Best Buy, where you can try your luck. Baseball cards were once sold at Toys R Us before it closed.

  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow. Talking about Return of the Living Dead. I wish I took my advice and stashed all those Mega boxes.

    I did get a bunch of PSA 10 RCs that I sold for a nice profit.

    Mike
  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ndleo said:
    Also for 2017 Optic Mega Box, the same applies. You either hit it big or get skunked, but it only costs you $35! Where else can you get such cheap thrills? I also pulled 3 Mahomes Jersey.


    hey ndleo,
    sorry that I did not reply sooner; I was not a member at that time...Um your Patrick's there are Awesome...Oh Yeah... :)

  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I got a full house - 3 PSA 10s and 2 PSA 9s, plus one raw. Yes I hit a gold mine and didn't realize it.

    Mike
Sign In or Register to comment.