Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should PCGS adopt an "eye appeal" designation similar to NGC's Star?

CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2, 2019 10:02AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Leveraging the drddm thread on his beautiful bust half where he raised the question, should PCGS have an eye appeal designation for their coins? If 10% of the determined grade is currently based upon eye appeal, should such a PCGS (I'll call it "Diamond") proposed designation be based upon a heavier weighting percentage?

PCGS made the decision to use the PL designation which should increase submissions. Imagine the bump they'd get with a "Diamond" eye appeal version. If the number of potential coins to be slabbed are diminishing, wouldn't this be a smart move by PCGS?

Are you in favor or not? Why, why not? (this assumes you care enough to have your coins graded).

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be in favor of a designation for eye appeal. I do not believe that I would resubmit my coins.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2019 10:55AM

I'm not in favor. Then again, some people like lipstick on pigs. I mean, it either has eye appeal or it doesn't. And who cannot see it shouldn't get a designation for it.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need verification or correction please. I thought the PCGS + was the equivalent of the NGC *.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2019 11:12AM

@Insider2 said:
    I need verification or correction please. I thought the PCGS + was the equivalent of the NGC *.

No, NGC has a + as well.

One means eye appeal--color, PL surfaces, etc.....the other means almost the next grade up.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@Walkerfan said:

@Insider2 said:

No, NGC has a + as well.

One means eye appeal--color, PL surfaces, etc.....the other means almost the next grade up.

If the PCGS + is high for the grade, then IMO they need a way to acknowledge high eye appeal also.

• Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭

From PCGS:

"Plus Grades" exhibit exceptional eye appeal for the grade and constitute the top 30% of the coins in the grade.

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have definitely seen PCGS use the + designation conspicuously on toners and other eye appealing coins.

That being said, I think it would make sense from a resubmission/business perspective to add this new layer of explicit attribution. This would be a nice way to keep the momentum going from the already announced PL news.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish this had been posted as a poll. Is there a way to add one?

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Walkerfan said:

@Insider2 said:

No, NGC has a + as well.

If the PCGS + is high for the grade, then IMO they need a way to acknowledge high eye appeal also.

That's what star designation is for.

And I don't think it would be a bad idea for PCGS to adopt such a designation.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in favor of it.

• Options

@Southcounty said:
    From PCGS:

"Plus Grades" exhibit exceptional eye appeal for the grade and constitute the top 30% of the coins in the grade.

That's what I thought! Thanks for setting all of us straight.

• Options
    edited July 2, 2019 1:18PM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Some people don't consider toning to equal eye appeal.

Then those folks are not up to speed with the modern status quo concerning coin grading. :(

You don't need to like color but you need to know if it adds value or grade.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely not.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2019 1:20PM

@Insider2 said:

@Southcounty said:
    From PCGS:

The plus grade from pcgs is like a half a point, or better, to the next grade. NGC has stars and pluses.
    I personally think it would be a good idea for pcgs to adopt such a designation for eye appeal. I like it😉

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@BryceM said:
    Absolutely not.

To what post does this refer?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@BryceM said:
    Absolutely not.

• Options

@crazyhounddog said:

@Insider2 said:

@Southcounty said:
    From PCGS:

The plus grade from pcgs is like a half a point, or better, to the next grade. NGC has stars and pluses.
    I personally think it would be a good idea for pcgs to adopt such a designation for eye appeal. I like it😉

OK folks. We have a quote from PCGS that a + signifies EYE APPEAL. We have opinions that it signifies the top end of a grade. Do I believe PCGS (as I thought was the case) or members posting something different?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just what the market needs ... no.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@BryceM said:

@Insider2 said:

@BryceM said:
    Absolutely not.

Head slap! I have not had lunch yet and the brain is not up to speed.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2019 1:27PM

no.

--- reading the replies, it's nice to see that ignorance of fact is still being peddled.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@crazyhounddog said:

@Insider2 said:

@Southcounty said:
    From PCGS:

OK folks. We have a quote from PCGS that a + signifies EYE APPEAL. We have opinions that it signifies the top end of a grade. Do I believe PCGS (as I thought was the case) or members posting something different?

That was the way I understood it. So, what’s with the star and the plus at NGC?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eye appeal is another 'opinion' and neither uniform in acceptance nor quantifiable by any measurable standard. If a TPG would like to include THEIR opinion of eye appeal, I believe it should be separate from the grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should strike detail and luster be "designated" in this process, too ?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2019 1:38PM

I'm guessing the person that posted this thread idea is a stockholder??

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2019 2:08PM

Personally I think it's a terrible idea. Nobody can tell me or anyone else what we should find appealing.

TPG's should issue nothing more than a standard grade. That's it. No plus, no "First Strike", no PL, no star..... Just stop all the nonsense.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@crazyhounddog said:

@Insider2 said:

@Southcounty said:
    From PCGS:

You omitted part of the quote and thereby badly distorted its message. It mentioned quality, as well as eye-appeal: “Plus Grades exhibit exceptional eye appeal for the grade and constitute the top 30% of the coins in the grade.”

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@Catbert said:
    Leveraging the drddm thread on his beautiful bust half where he raised the question, should PCGS have an eye appeal designation for their coins? If 10% of the determined grade is currently based upon eye appeal, should such a PCGS (I'll call it "Diamond") proposed designation be based upon a heavier weighting percentage?

PCGS made the decision to use the PL designation which should increase submissions. Imagine the bump they'd get with a "Diamond" eye appeal version. If the number of potential coins to be slabbed are diminishing, wouldn't this be a smart move by PCGS?

Are you in favor or not? Why, why not? (this assumes you care enough to have your coins graded).

At this rate we'll have a two hundred grade point system instead of the 70 point scale in use now (well 70 plus all the + grades in use now). It seems to me that not very long ago there was a thread on this forum calling for fewer grades and that idea received a fair amount of support.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    If you need a holder to tell you the coin has eye appeal, you need a new hobby.

That's too simplistic. Look at the big picture. What you think has eye appeal another collector will not. One member here seems to disprove of toning no matter what it looks like. The Super Nova $20 is a perfect example. Ideally, we need to learn what the largest number of professionals and big spending collectors think is attractive.

• Options

@MFeld said: "You omitted part of the quote and thereby badly distorted its message. It mentioned quality, as well as eye-appeal: “Plus Grades exhibit exceptional eye appeal for the grade AND constitute the top 30% of the coins in the grade.

Oh no, combining two different variables is what causes more subjectivity and confusion when grading. IMO, PCGS should use a + for the 30% and a star for eye appeal. That would align the two major services more closely.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Some people don't consider toning to equal eye appeal.

Then those folks are not up to speed with the modern status quo concerning coin grading. :(

You don't need to like color but you need to know if it adds value or grade.

It does, in some cases. But my point is that eye-appeal is a lot more subjective than a grade. Modern status quo today is different from 20 years ago and might be very different 20 years from now. This will create dimension of inconsistencies over time.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2019 2:11PM

@Insider2 said:
    Ideally, we need to learn what the largest number of professionals and big spending collectors think is attractive.

That would be nothing more than a popularity poll with no real benefit.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@rainbowroosie said:

That's too simplistic. Look at the big picture. What you think has eye appeal another collector will not. One member here seems to disprove of toning no matter what it looks like. The Super Nova $20 is a perfect example. Ideally, we need to learn what the largest number of professionals and big spending collectors think is attractive.

Absolute BS I do not and will not ever need to follow what someone else thinks is pretty, possibly the most idiotic statement I've ever seen posted. Your idea of what a collector is seems to be the definition of a lemming.
    Lemming: "a person who unthinkingly joins a mass movement, especially a headlong rush to destruction"

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@Insider2 said:

@rainbowroosie said:

Absolute BS I do not and will not ever need to follow what someone else thinks is pretty, possibly the most idiotic statement I've ever seen posted. Your idea of what a collector is seems to be the definition of a lemming.
    Lemming: "a person who unthinkingly joins a mass movement, especially a headlong rush to destruction"

I think he was talking about learning/knowing, not necessarily following. It’s the same with “grading standards” - you need not agree with the grades assigned by major grading companies, and you’re certainly welcome to have and apply your own standards. But it can sure help to have a feel for how the major graders and market participants view/grade coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited July 2, 2019 2:32PM

@ms70 said:

@Insider2 said:
    Ideally, we need to learn what the largest number of professionals and big spending collectors think is attractive.

That would be nothing more than a popularity poll with no real benefit.

Don't be ridiculous! Do you go to work with white socks, sandals, pink trousers and a green shirt with a yellow bow tie? There is a reason you don't. Do you buy the black, fly covered banana at the store? I assure you it is not a popularity poll. It is an eye for quality - the prevailing "good taste" at the time. Remember, at one time in the past, "Blast White" signified exceptional eye appeal.

The benefit comes from making money, not leaving any on the table, and the esteem of other collectors.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if someone could make exact size..... STICKERS ....of finest knowns that we could paste on our existing slabs.

Hmmmm...... :D

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...hey if God wanted all of us to play soccer he wouldn’t have given us arms!

• Options
    edited July 2, 2019 2:45PM

@coinbuf said:

@Insider2 said:

@rainbowroosie said:

No one gives a RA about your perception of beauty or what you choose to believe. For now, I suggest you read my post again as it is written in simple English.

Try this: If you choose to eat dog poop because it appeals to your taste, that's fine. It's your taste. The majority of folks don't eat dog poop. The point I'm making is there are some things that a majority of collectors prefer. The people WHO CHOOSE to learn (no one is forcing them and they are not lemmings either) what those things are will usually do better that the poop eaters!

Hopefully my attempt to educate you ABOUT THE WAY THINGS ARE is no longer idiotic and I accept your apology. :p

• Options

From what I see, Eye appeal is more than 10% of a grade. I believe it often kicks the grade up by at least a point for many coins. I'll not mention a major coin to proof my observation.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    From what I see, Eye appeal is more than 10% of a grade. I believe it often kicks the grade up by at least a point for many coins. I'll not mention a major coin to proof my observation.

Yes, exactly my point about how a star like designation might combat that happening.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course they should. And they should charge 20 bucks a pop for this service.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

@Insider2 said:

@coinbuf said:

@Insider2 said:

@rainbowroosie said:

No one gives a RA about your perception of beauty or what you choose to believe. For now, I suggest you read my post again as it is written in simple English.

Try this: If you choose to eat dog poop because it appeals to your taste, that's fine. It's your taste. The majority of folks don't eat dog poop. The point I'm making is there are some things that a majority of collectors prefer. The people WHO CHOOSE to learn (no one is forcing them and they are not lemmings either) what those things are will usually do better that the poop eaters!

Hopefully my attempt to educate you ABOUT THE WAY THINGS ARE is no longer idiotic and I accept your apology. :p

I will never be able to learn anything of value from someone like yourself who advocates for group think brainwashing, I have never and will never extend an apology to you.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file