Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

One Small Step for a Man, One Giant Leap for Mankind Redux 50 Years Later

northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2019 2:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This year our country commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing with a new U.S. Commemorative.

It was almost 50 years ago on July 20, 1969 that Neil Armstrong uttered the memorable words that defined the making of history as he and Buzz Aldrin became the first men to step onto the moon.

History has a way of repeating itself. A few moments ago, President Trump made history as he became the first United States President to take a small step as he planted his foot on North Korean soil to become the first U.S. President to do so. The potential is there for that one step exiting the Korean DMZ and crossing into North Korea to also become a giant step for mankind.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 2:31AM

You never know.

Edited to add: Or, time will tell.....

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 2:32AM

The phrase is “one giant leap for mankind”.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF THE BOARDS. I FLAGGED THE FIRST POST.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if a commemorative coin will be issued for this....or maybe just a challenge coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not but a minute and someone does something like this my cat has his paw on the flag button and away we go. Bye bye🙀🐈jzyskowski

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

Excuse me my cat likes coins and slow down there DCW. It’s a button to notify our hosts.kind of a stretch with God flag and bad kitty🙀jzyskowski

• Options

@DCW said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Not but a minute and someone does something like this my cat has his paw on the flag button and away we go. Bye bye🙀🐈jzyskowski

I remember a time when the flag had other uses, such as patriotism, love of country.

Well-stated and well-done

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Excuse me my cat likes coins and slow down there DCW. It’s a button to notify our hosts.kind of a stretch with God flag and bad kitty🙀jzyskowski

It's not a stretch, but rather "word play" , and very well-done in my opinion. Best thing I've read all day.

• Options

Wow it still does. Sorry you can’t seem to be able to find it where you’re at. The American Flag flies strong here. Perhaps there are some people around where you live that make you feel uncomfortable. I hope you find a little peace and restore some faith 🙀jzyskowski

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Wow it still does. Sorry you can’t seem to be able to find it where you’re at. The American Flag flies strong here. Perhaps there are some people around where you live that make you feel uncomfortable. I hope you find a little peace and restore some faith 🙀jzyskowski

Perhaps there is some honest misunderstanding going on here?

• Options

You bet my cat don’t like dog whistles. Got to go🙀jzyskowski. Good bye to this post 🐈

• Options
    edited June 30, 2019 2:16PM

@david3142 said:

Thanks for the correction.

On a related point, Neil Armstrong clarified that he did include "a" although on earth we only heard it without. There is an interesting discussion of this on the internet and someone ended up doing some type of voice analysis to confirm that an "a" was in fact voiced before the word man so that’s how I quoted it.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin said:

@david3142 said:

Actually Armstrong clarified that he did include "a" although on earth we only heard it without. There is an interesting discussion of this on the internet and someone ended up doing some type of voice analysis to confirm that an "a" was in fact voiced.

The correction referenced here is mainly, "One Small Step for a Man, One Giant LEAP for Mankind."

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took several takes to get it correct?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 Stanley would be proud that you remembered him.

• Options
    edited June 30, 2019 11:14PM

Wasn't it Confucius who is credited with the saying that a journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step?

As we enter the month that marks the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar landing it is reflective to consider where that journey which began with the single step that is emblazoned on the subject commemorative coin is headed.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2019 10:49AM

@northcoin said:

On a related point, Neil Armstrong clarified that he did include "a" although on earth we only heard it without. There is an interesting discussion of this on the internet and someone ended up doing some type of voice analysis to confirm that an "a" was in fact voiced before the word man so that’s how I quoted it.

Glad to read this.

The often quoted "One small step for man...." never made much sense to me, and I have always supported NA's claim that he said "One small step for a man..."

He probably only rehearsed it a million times in his head, so I assume he knew what he said. :)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin said:

History has a way of repeating itself. A few moments ago, President Trump made history as he became the first United States President to take a small step as he planted his foot on North Korean soil to become the first U.S. President to do so. The potential is there for that one step exiting the Korean DMZ and crossing into North Korea to also become a giant step for mankind.

I fell asleep with the TV on and coincidentally woke up to see this happening. I did not quite assign this much history to it but then again I was half-asleep. It will either turn out to be significant in the long-term or it won't - time will tell.

BTW - I could see how a discussion about this could get ugly fast, but the basic fact as stated does not have any necessary political angle to it. There is no need to take sides - I don't think there is a contingent that is hoping for worse relations with NK...

Finally, since this is a coin forum, I have never seen any North Korean coins but I know there are lots of NK banknotes around. I wonder if the average North Korean even has access to money. I suspect they are more likely to use something like ration coupons.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2024 9:45PM

North Korea Half Chon 2002 - Helmeted Guinea Fowl
    Aluminum, 27 mm, 2.16 gm

More here at Numista:
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/coree_du_nord-1.html

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@northcoin said:

Glad to read this.

The often quoted "One small step for man...." never made much sense to me, and I have always supported NA's claim that he said "One small step for a man..."

He probably only rehearsed it a million times in his head, so I assume he knew what he said. :)

I believe the most recent voice analysis says there was no "a" in the phrase.

It is interesting that the upcoming Apollo Print scheduled for release on July 19th on the US Mint Site has the quote without the "a" -- I wonder if they struggled with the decision of whether or not to include the "a" on the print...

• Options

@DotStore said:

@JBK said:

@northcoin said:

Glad to read this.

I believe the most recent voice analysis says there was no "a" in the phrase.

It is interesting that the upcoming Apollo Print scheduled for release on July 19th on the US Mint Site has the quote without the "a" -- I wonder if they struggled with the decision of whether or not to include the "a" on the print...

Noticed the same thing regarding th upcoming print. Here is a link to another article that supports the "a" having been voiced by Neil Armstrong as he had long contended.

https://latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-neil-armstrong-one-small-step-for-a-man-20150605-story.html

• Options

@DCW said:

I remember a time when the flag had other uses, such as patriotism, love of country.

Speaking of flags, happy Fourth of July to all who have been following this thread.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Excluding reference to Fearless Leader, I would recommend viewing Apollo 11 (2019) https://imdb.com/title/tt8760684/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1. It should be required viewing in school classrooms.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file