Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My favorite retail buy of the year!

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Customer was cleaning out a house and came across a few items from a list I gave him. He's a salvage guy and the house was being prepped for demo so he was told keep all he found. This was one of the many "treasures" he found me that day.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

That thing is just all kinds of fun!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that the hand Hickock had when he was shot?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

Yup. Aces and eights. I didn't notice that at first. Good catch. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

No, there is (2) 8’s (2) A’s and a Joker.

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a unique item.... coins and cards... favorite subjects of mine... ;) And poker too.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat!

• Options
    lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

mega find.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dead mans hand.?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't Andy Devine have said" Hey, Wild Bill. Wait for me!"

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pocket watch

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DiggerJim said:

@Smudge said:

DiggerJim

Maybe the joker was added for irony?

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

What years are the dollars? And what is it other than a 'clock'?? Neat.

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    What years are the dollars? And what is it other than a 'clock'?? Neat.

Peace Dollars are 22 and 23. Morgans are 2x1890 and a 1902. No clue on mint marks due to the black/red acrylic behind the coins. I plugged the clock into a surge protected outlet and got nothing. Will try to find a battery powered movement that takes these hands. Much more convenient to change a battery than find an outlet on a mantle.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice I like

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's a nice "score" !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz said:

@DiggerJim said:

@Smudge said:

DiggerJim

Maybe the joker was added for irony?

I dont think his down card was known. There is a story that it was a queen. But the other cards dont match suit either.

• Options
    IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:

I plugged the clock into a surge protected outlet and got nothing. Will try to find a battery powered movement that takes these hands. Much more convenient to change a battery than find an outlet on a mantle.

That find is a real gem. Just a word of caution. This type of item is very collectible. Not only is Americana acrylic deco rare in good condition, but it is also a "gambling" collectible which is becoming increasingly popular. Please consider not changing the movement. A good watch repair shop can fix the electrical movement. I have had occasion to restore some old electric clocks and the expense to repair the movement was nominal.

Thought you might find this interesting:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_man%27s_hand

unus multorum
  • Options

@Intueor said:

@Jinx86 said:

I plugged the clock into a surge protected outlet and got nothing. Will try to find a battery powered movement that takes these hands. Much more convenient to change a battery than find an outlet on a mantle.

That find is a real gem. Just a word of caution. This type of item is very collectible. Not only is Americana acrylic deco rare in good condition, but it is also a "gambling" collectible which is becoming increasingly popular. Please consider not changing the movement. A good watch repair shop can fix the electrical movement. I have had occasion to restore some old electric clocks and the expense to repair the movement was nominal.

Thought you might find this interesting:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_man%27s_hand

Thanks for the info, Ill have to look into what it would take to repair the movement. I still love the idea of battery powered without the cord, which had been cut/replaced once before.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very cool piece. I seem to recall similar pieces where the dollar coins are actually aluminum foil forms rather than actual coins.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not tacky at all! (But it is very cool.)

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2019 7:29AM

Collectors look for “Original” items but if a battery movement helps you to enjoy the piece, go for it. If you have not already done are so, before you get it repaired, check the splice on the new cord. Maybe the connections are just bad.

Another trick for “stuck” clock movement in old clocks is to plug it in and put it out in the sun for 15 or 20 minutes. Sperm oil (now illegal) was a popular watch movement lubricant. It worked well for fine, light machinery such as sewing machines and watches because it is thin, does not congeal or dry out and does not corrode metals. However, chemically it is technically a wax. If the movement is “still” for a long time, the oil can stiffen. The gradual heating from the sun reduces the viscidness of the oil. You might want to cover the piece, as exposure to UV will harm the acrylic.

I wonder if those horseshoes are silver…..?
    Enjoy!

unus multorum

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file