Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is coin collecting a "bad weather hobby?"

DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

The summer doldrums are here which got me thinking...is our beloved hobby best enjoyed "when the weather outside is frightful?"
And would it spell the death of the hobby if it was nice out the whole year long?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me...year round, regardless of the weather. Location may be a different story for B&M shopping.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO, yes.

I was involved with putting on quite a few coin club shows, and cold grey weather (but no ice on the roads) always brought in the best crowds. The old-timey coin show circuit used to be winter-based, almost exclusively.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that when daylight is shorter and there is no yard work to be done, those conditions may be more conducive to hobbies.
    But it’s generally always warm (or hot) and sunny here in Florida.... I just make time time for coins as I can.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've said before that it's mostly a winter sport for me.
    I think it's year round for most here.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 4-season country, the impetus to enjoy the outdoors when it’s nice outside is strong. Coins are always there.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard that there are coin collectors in Hawaii where Paradise is Found,,, ;)

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm finding things I wish to purchase difficult to locate now that summer is upon us. I'm looking.... Just not finding. So I'll say, "kinda."

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...I’m always trying to collect as much coin as I can...come sunshine, rain, sleet or snow...no silver, no gold, no lead, no tail, and no numismatic values whatsoever...face value is fair by me and I ain’t ever gonna stop till me body drops! ;)

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 10:51PM

...and sorry...yes, yes summers were always the time I needed/wanted to sell and winters were always my buying season or right around Thanksgiving all the way to around March...Of course in just about every situation I spent more monies than I ever took back and I’m almost completely out of numismatic coins. I played right into the retail system and I have no beef with that. That’s the game and I Respect it and when I’m as rich or richer than some of the whales here; I will come out and play...and I don’t play when I play...I will be bringing my own traveling blues band and cherry Coke bar w/ tender to any Auction I step foot onto ;)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even when I'm outside enjoying outdoor activities I'm still thinking about coins. I guess I'm hopeless. :|
    Is there a coin collectors anonymous?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy all my hobbies... year round.... The weather does have some effect... and I always promise to search my jugs of wheaties on some cold, stormy winter day... ;) Time is the premium in all our lives....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

one reason I enjoy coins is that it is a year round hobby

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

While it certainly is enjoyed year round (we are both adding to this thread on the last day of June) the hobby is undeniably slower in the warmer months. Which begs the question, if it were nice out all year long would we bother at all with these metal discs?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 8:36AM

We don’t have bad weather in California.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way this is a "Bad Weather" hobby. So makes me wonder, what are bad weather hobbies.....we need to make a top ten list. Painting? Stamp collecting? Reading? Drawing? Video games? Shopping?

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, not really.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course the nice weather has some ef> @PerryHall said:

Even when I'm outside enjoying outdoor activities I'm still thinking about coins. I guess I'm hopeless. :|
    Is there a coin collectors anonymous?

You sound like me.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a question like this is asked there are always answers regarding one's individual climate. What a difference it can make! My first thirty years were spent in Massachusetts and New York. The last fifteen in Texas. When you literally cannot leave home for practically days on end sometimes you can find yourself doing things you would only do in "bad weather".

I think obsessed collectors and hobbyists are neither deterred nor spurned on by any particular type of weather. But those who enjoy other hobbies that are only seasonal might put coins on the back-burner for a bit.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@Gazes said:

While it certainly is enjoyed year round (we are both adding to this thread on the last day of June) the hobby is undeniably slower in the warmer months. Which begs the question, if it were nice out all year long would we bother at all with these metal discs?

I can only speak for myself and weather plays no role in my enjoyment or time spent with my hobby.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    We don’t have bad weather in California.

I would consider a drought and super high temperatures (cf. Death Valley and others) to be bad weather.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 7:59PM

I can't speak for anyone else but for me it is a year-round Hobby and I have made some of my best purchases in the summer. Maybe because people were selling in the summer? I don't know if there is a correlation or not. Regardless of the reason, it worked in my favor.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file