Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

updated my camera set up

FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2019 11:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I picked up a "close-up-stand" on Craigslist, an EL Nikkor 75mm enlarging lens on e-bay, some adapters and a led ring light.

Just getting started but this looks promising. Feel free to make comments or show your set up.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done!

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice setup. Looks like you are serious.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's your overall impression of the "ring light"?

My biggest issue is lighting, and I thought that it sounded like a great idea(!) But I've heard others claim it doesn't work well with coins, so I didn't pursue it.

What say ye?

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does the LED light ring work for larger coins, say silver dollar size? My setup is not nearly as sophisticated as yours and I have trouble imaging large coins in slabs with my LED light ring due to the reflection.

• Options

I think the ring light works great with all sizes of RAW coins. Shooting in slabs and trying to capture color seems to be a challenge with any lighting.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which ring light are you using?

• Options

@OriginalDan said:
    Which ring light are you using?

Its made by Aputure. It would be nice to have one that plugs in the wall instead of using batteries.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

WELL DONE!! Great pictures and impressive set up.... I use my phone - and the poor quality of my pictures is obvious. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 371 ✭✭✭

Mightyfine photos. Congratulations.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. SHARP focus, which is really hard to achieve.

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

Very, VERY nice pics! I'm planning on setting my light stand up this coming weekend and doing some test shots. I'll let you know if anything turns out! Do you use any other lighting besides the ring light?

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options

@Eric_Babula said:
    Very, VERY nice pics! I'm planning on setting my light stand up this coming weekend and doing some test shots. I'll let you know if anything turns out! Do you use any other lighting besides the ring light?

I have used the built in light holders with LED bulbs and have had similar results as the "ring" but it is one or the other as the ring blocks out the bulbs from behind or above.

Strait above the coin light seems to work best for color and coverage.

Found this old pic of my Close-up stand.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good results!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! What's your working distance? How do large coins in slabs come out with the right light?

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pictures of nice coins :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

FANTASTIC pics! Nice work.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@messydesk said:
    Nice! What's your working distance? How do large coins in slabs come out with the right light?

Disassembled right now but around 8" I would guess. I have a couple different size extension tubes that I can add or subtract to change magnification.

I have not tried any dollars in slabs yet.

Now that I see how this stuff works, I am considering maybe a used 105mm enlarging lens to get some more working distance.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking pics. I’ve gotta say I’ve never had very good luck with the ring lights. I find them difficult to use especially to pick up the colors on coins. But that’s just the start. You are very limited as to the location of your light. But if it works for you that’s all that matters. I’ve also seen some nice Buffs coming from you too. Keep at it buddy. Practice makes perfect.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've also stayed away from the ring lights due to negative reviews. But your photo looks great. I'd love to see a slabbed coin photo with the ring light, even if it's not so impressive.

• Options

@savitale said:
    I've also stayed away from the ring lights due to negative reviews. But your photo looks great. I'd love to see a slabbed coin photo with the ring light, even if it's not so impressive.

The ring light has a control to turn half of the lights off. That is what I do, Light only from the top of the coin.

It looks horrible with all lights on. You can also very the intensity. I was trying to get good color shots so I pushed the

coin to the edge of the reflection off the slab. You can see this at the edge of these coins, If I were to pull them back the

pic is better but the color goes away rather quickly.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. Not as bad as I thought it would be. The scratches on the slab don't make it easy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file