Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jeez 6k for a common date ms63, are toners really this hot?

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes the right colors and patterns can bring some crazy bidding out; no I personally would never pay anywhere near that.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 4:04PM

I know it is interesting, but it is considered bad form to make a posting of an item that is currently up for sale and criticize it. If it is a completed or ended sale then that is different.

In which case this would be the latter, sorry my mistake.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgandollar1878 said:
    I know it is interesting, but it is considered bad form to make a posting of an item that is currently up for sale and criticize it. If it is a completed or ended sale then that is different.

Not sure what your looking at but the link in the op takes you to a completed ebay listing.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 4:03PM

@coinbuf said:

@morgandollar1878 said:

Not sure what your looking at but the link in the op takes you to a completed ebay listing.

You would be correct, my mistake. Missed the tiny type of "sold for".

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps there were two bidders with a keen affection for redheads. If that coin were in a 66 holder it would have gone for 30k. Outstanding color.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a 50 buck coin to me and the extra over 63 money is for the color. B)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 4:19PM

That’s a steal compared to the 1887 PCGS MS63 CAC being offered for $11,900 now.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't pay up too much for color either....well, certainly not THAT much.

But when you think about it, there are those who would pay a lot more for a rare die variety than I would. Some who will pay more for key dates than I would. Some would pay for top pops....or for pedigree....or errors, or...whatever. To each his own.

Sometimes, I just feel lucky, (or at least a little richer), that I "just want a nice example". :)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 4:34PM

@TommyType said:
    I don't pay up too much for color either....well, certainly not THAT much.

But when you think about it, there are those who would pay a lot more for a rare die variety than I would. Some who will pay more for key dates than I would. Some would pay for top pops....or for pedigree....or errors, or...whatever. To each his own.

Sometimes, I just feel lucky, (or at least a little richer), that I "just want a nice example". :)

I’m glad to see what everyone collects and values. It’s great to see so much variety.

And I’m glad there’s so many different ways to collect that I can build a reasonable collection my niches.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that a number of collectors like this type of toning, but I think it is ugly.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad when I was buying I never got that into toning.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a buy it now and ebay doesnt show the accepted price so it probably sold for a lot less. But I cant seem to pull the number from watchcount for some reason.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK heres why watchcount isnt displaying actual sold prices

Items below that sold via Best Offer may not currently be displaying accurate selling prices, due to an eBay API data feed bug, since mid-June. eBay is aware of the issue and apparently is planning to make repairs. However, this may take a few days (yay!) or several weeks (boo!). We know this is frustrating to some of our visitors, and we apologize; however, this is out of our control. Thank you for hanging in there, and we hope eBay sorts this out soon.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 5:22PM

Sold for $420 on Heritage in 2017.
    Then the photo was enhanced (looks to be yankeecoin) and resold. Now this seller seems to have sold it for even more.

If the coin looks closer to the HA photo, then this was a massive overpay. If it’s close to the eBay photo, I still see it as a $1k-$2k coin.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dollars/1882-s-1-ms63-pcgs-pcgs-population-19963-58296-ngc-census-15166-59782-cdn-58-whsle-bid-for-problem-free-ngc-pc/a/131745-21430.s?hdnJumpToLot=1&x=0&y=0

Edit: HA vs eBay photos:
    (I know HA has some mediocre photos, but if this coin was worth closer to $6k, then I think whoever consigned the coin would pay/ask for better photos).

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is way too dark to garner half of the premium it did. It looks juiced compared to Heritage photo.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

does the picture accurately display how the coin looks?? that is the question.

Green has always been a money color.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 5:39PM

@keets said:
    Green has always been a money color.

In the slab? ;) Because the slab in the Heritage image has a green tint on my monitor. The slab looks clear in the second image. The Heritage image looks awfully muddy, I wouldn't be surprised to find the coin looks something in between the two in hand.

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

The color doesn’t even look very strong and eye-appealing. $500 coin at best.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the more vibrant of the sets of pictures is accurate, it is a stunning coin.
    If the images are juiced...it's still a nice coin.
    Whether or not it's worth what was paid, who knows.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not now, nor ever, pay a premium for environmental damage....Although it is popular, although it is given the exotic term 'toning'... it is tarnish, which is a chemical degradation of a coin's surface. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file