Home U.S. Coin Forum

What would you do in this situation?

superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭
edited June 29, 2019 12:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

In a nutshell, you win two coins in an auction and the shipping person at the auction house says they are sending the coins by priority mail, presumably with insurance as they are valued at $1800. Charge is $32. Third party shippers ask double. You receive the coins in a simple bubble wrap envelope with Pitney Bowes stamp of $32. Not priority and no insurance that I can see. Shipper told you that “he didn’t have time to write the tracking number down but you’ll get them soon.” Do you just suck it up? Complain to a supervisor? Ask for a refund? Forget about it since you got the coins luckily?

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Priority Mail in non Priority boxes all the time. Just sent two rifles to ND via Priority 3 day mail. Insured and no reference to insurance on the boxes or label.

Did you not agree to the $32 shipping charges when you bid? Were they disclosed ahead of the auction? I think it was a wise way of shipping two expensive coins....certainly indiscreet.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...from point A to point B...fastest route is a straight line but they can zig zag around the country 3 times over if they want to...as long as point B gets the intact-pack...there’s no real problem ;)

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would talk to a manager. Good businesses appreciate being told about things like this, _assuming _they did not send priority and insure them.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you want refunded?🙀jzyskowski

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, "Priority Mail" is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. I sell on eBay, ship almost exclusively by First Class and over half my feedback says "fast shipping".

Enjoy the coins I bought. Life's too short to worry about how the seller arranged for shipping.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you got the coins well below gray sheet I would be ok with it, i very seldom pay for shipping, even on 1,800 orders. if you spend 1,800 and they don't send a tracking number, I would have problems with that

• superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Just to clarify, there was no marking of it being sent priority mail on the envelope so anyone looking at it would assume it was sent first class. There has to be a sticker at least to show its priority mail. He also lied in the email because he said he sent it priority when it wasn’t and there was no tracking number. Had it gone lost there would have been a big problem

edited June 29, 2019 1:43PM

Considering your clarification, I'd still do what I said in my previous post.

edited to add...

From the USPS website:
    Service - Speed
    Priority Mail - 1, 2, 3 days on average
    First-Class Mail - 1-3 days

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm100/choosing-service.htm

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's why I buy on e bay, fast and free shipping, great prices and tracking numbers are downloaded within 24 hours

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the amount of postage shown on the package ($32) would tell a PO clerk that it's Priority.

Actually no. I asked the two clerks at the PO where I picked the package about that and they said it was not sent priority since there was no tracking on it

Figuring 3 ounces for two coins in a padded envelope insured for $1800 shipped about 1,000 miles, here is the postage cost:

First Class : $29.33, three days for delivery
    Priority Mail : $33.55, three days for delivery

FWIW...

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my humble opinion. If I got the coin I forget the whole thing. You got the coin which was what you wanted. If you want to waste time on $20.00 to 40.00 to me my time is money. I am just to busy to mess with the time it takes to call and complain. But that’s me I move on to the next task.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you received the coins, they did their bit.

$32 is almost nothing on top of $1800. You seem to have evidence that that much was spent.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2019 7:08AM

@Gluggo said:
    In my humble opinion. If I got the coin I forget the whole thing. You got the coin which was what you wanted. If you want to waste time on $20.00 to 40.00 to me my time is money. I am just to busy to mess with the time it takes to call and complain. But that’s me I move on to the next task.

Anything first class over 13 ounces goes priority whether it's in a priority package or not. No way this package goes priority since it's not at least 13 ounces and wasn't AFAIK in a priority envelope. Never used them but does Pitney Bowes offer USPS insurance? I believe that you can buy tracking if the package is at least 3/4 inch thick so I would BITCH them out for failure to provide tracking.

And if you didn't get the coin you'd have a conniption fit cuz yer coin is lost out there and you have NO IDEA where it is. Just cuz you [and the shipper] got lucky doesn't mean you should just blow off someone's carelessness.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 2:28PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

Anything first class over 13 ounces goes priority whether it's in a priority package or not. No way this package goes priority since it's not at least 13 ounces and wasn't AFAIK in a priority envelope. Never used them but does Pitney Bowes offer USPS insurance? I believe that you can buy tracking if the package is at least 3/4 inch thick so I would BITCH them out for failure to provide tracking.

NOT TRUE,,,,,, you can mail up to 16 oz in a package and send it first class and you get tracking.

GrandAm :)
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

This! If the shipping label cost was $32 it was at a minimum shipped with the required insurance and most likely Priority Mail!

@MasonG said:
    Figuring 3 ounces for two coins in a padded envelope insured for $1800 shipped about 1,000 miles, here is the postage cost:

FWIW...

edited July 3, 2019 6:38PM

I buy all my labels thru eBay or PayPal. If you keep the weight to 16.0 oz or less it goes 1st class if you choose that option. Below is a label I purchased a few days ago that weighted 15.9 oz,,,,,,, as I said I have had up to 16.0 oz shipped 1st class but don't have a copy unless I go back and look thru all my receipts.

Here is a 1st class at 15.9 oz with tracking. 16.1 oz and it is Priority Mail.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    IMO, "Priority Mail" is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. I sell on eBay, ship almost exclusively by First Class and over half my feedback says "fast shipping".

I say "fast shipping" in feedback based on when the seller ships, not on when I receive it, i. e. it's not the sellers fault if it takes longer than expected to get to me when he mails it out the next day.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The three key words....PRESUMABLY with INSURANCE. Never assume anything. As the old saying goes; "Assume makes an ass
    of U and me.". You have the coins. Carry on my friend. Life's too short too worry about the bad stuff that never happened. Let it go. It's a beautiful day!

@MWallace said:
    I say "fast shipping" in feedback based on when the seller ships, not on when I receive it, i. e. it's not the sellers fault if it takes longer than expected to get to me when he mails it out the next day.

I use stamps, so aside from a postmark (if it's legible), there's no way to tell when I shipped the coin.

Restrictions
    Maximum weight for First-Class Mail letters is 3.5 oz; for large First-Class Mail envelopes and parcels the maximum weight is 13 oz.

from this link

https://usps.com/ship/first-class-mail.htm

over 13 ounces priority rates apply

over 16 ounces priority designation kicks in

Maybe derryB will chime in

edited June 29, 2019 3:02PM

@Hydrant said:
    The three key words....PRESUMABLY with INSURANCE. Never assume anything. As the old saying goes; "Assume makes an ass
    of U and me.". You have the coins. Carry on my friend. Life's too short too worry about the bad stuff that never happened. Let it go. It's a beautiful day!

So the guy gets a pass for carelessness cuz he got lucky? Since it wasn't YOUR package at risk I guess it's easy to cut him some slack. I call him and at least let him know he was careless.

edited July 3, 2019 6:39PM

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Restrictions
    Maximum weight for First-Class Mail letters is 3.5 oz; for large First-Class Mail envelopes and parcels the maximum weight is 13 oz.

from this link

Not always,,,,,,,,, I did not Photo Shop my receipt.

First Class Package Service goes up to 15.999 ounces.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/notice123.htm#_c104

edited June 29, 2019 3:06PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Hydrant said:

So the guy gets a pass for carelessness cuz he got lucky?

Sorta, kind of. Keep in mind........It takes two to tango.

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 3:14PM

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Priority rates kick in over 13 ounces.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c037

This depends if you are mailing retail or commercial rate. At retail rates the cut off is 13oz at commercial rate the cut off is 15.9ozs before it must go priority.

@MasonG said:

I never said it didn't. I said priority RATES for first class mail start at anything over 13 ounces. You're confusing type of service with rates.

edited June 29, 2019 5:51PM

@Hydrant said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Hydrant said:

Sorta, kind of. Keep in mind........It takes two to tango

Yep cept the tango-ee is at the mercy of the tango-er. If you want to excuse his carelessness that's up to you.

edited June 29, 2019 4:24PM

@BAJJERFAN said:
    You're confusing type of service with rates.

I don't think so. From the link I provided, Priority Mail rates by zone for a 15 oz. package are:

1&2 7.35
    3 7.70
    4 7.85
    5 8.00
    6 8.20
    7 8.60
    8 9.30
    9 12.20

For First Class mail:

1&2 4.94
    3 4.98
    4 5.02
    5 5.12
    6 5.24
    7 5.38
    8 5.53
    9 5.53

edited to add... Check out the image GRANDAM posted above. $5.24 is less expensive than any PM rate.

edited June 29, 2019 4:32PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Hydrant said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Hydrant said:

Sorta, kind of. Keep in mind........It takes two to tango

Yep cept the tango-ee is at the mercy of the tango-er. If you want to excuse his careles ness that's up to you.

Good point. You win.

P.S. I just rolled in from two weeks on the Arizona spread. The heat has messed with my mind. 111° at 4 o'clock in the afternoon will do that. How do those beeves survive? Seventy eight degrees
    with a breeze around here feels like I'm on the North Pole. Oh Gawd, it's good to be home.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

FWIW...

And, while slower, much less cost and greater security to send it registered.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

edited June 30, 2019 3:01PM

@GRANDAM said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

NOT TRUE,,,,,, you can mail up to 16 oz in a package and send it first class and you get tracking.

13 oz. is the limit for retail first class. You can pay additional at the counter for tracking with all first class.

The OP's only legitimate gripe is not being provided with tracking info when he was told there would be tracking info. But since he got the shipment he should move on.

@MasonG said:

For commercial packages only, not available beyond 13 ozs. for retail.

Yep, that's what the link says.

The commercial rate, while not available for retail, is available using eBay/PayPal shipping.

@MasonG said:
    Yep, that's what the link says.

The commercial rate, while not available for retail, is available using eBay/PayPal shipping.

Just confirmed this for 16 oz. and under. Will save me around $2 per shipment between 13-16 oz. Thanks for the info.

Sure- you're welcome. :)

The commercial first class rate is only good for 3 extra ounces but it still saves a couple of bucks per shipment and the estimated shipping time isn't any slower than priority mail.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

was there a bar code anywhere on envelope or on the pitney bowes $32 label? any writing on the label?

No just the amount and Pitney Bowes

And the date which was wrong by a week

Dated June 21 and it went out the 28th. My check didn’t clear until the 27th

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Gluggo said:

I believe that you can buy tracking if the package is at least 3/4 inch thick so I would BITCH them out for failure to provide tracking.

And if you didn't get the coin you'd have a conniption fit cuz yer coin is lost out there and you have NO IDEA where it is. Just cuz you got lucky doesn't mean you should just blow off someone's carelessness.

You make a good point! Very easy to remind the shipper to do it right the next time. For the next buyer. Have a great week!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

Enjoy the coins I bought. Life's too short to worry about how the seller arranged for shipping.

Agree. I only ship priority when over 1 pound. Unless the 1st class gets bumped from a flight, they pretty much travel together.

To the OP:
    Does it say 1st class or priority on the label?
    Also, you paid $32, they paid $32 in shipping, you should THANK THEM for eating the cost of the envelope and packing materials since it cost them more than $32 to ship it to you.
    And, last but not least, it arrived there safely.

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would write the auction house to explain you received the items but they did not appear to be shipped as promised. They might like to take note for future sales.

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

Agree. I only ship priority when over 1 pound. Unless the 1st class gets bumped from a flight, they pretty much travel together.

To the OP:
    Does it say 1st class or priority on the label?
    Also, you paid $32, they paid $32 in shipping, you should THANK THEM for eating the cost of the envelope and packing materials since it cost them more than $32 to ship it to you.
    And, last but not least, it arrived there safely.

Dig a little deeper. A first class package of 4-5 ounces should cost somewhere around $4 postage. They paid PB $32 so WTH did they spend the other $28 on? Insurance? Doesn't it strike you as odd that an auction house may not have the financial wherewithal or some sort of business policy to cover shipping?

I’m going to call the auction house. I’m sure they didn’t send this priority insured. And eating the cost of the envelope? Best laugh I had today!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file