Home U.S. Coin Forum

To Trueview or Not

NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I have a 1935-S MS-65 Washington Quarter in an old Rattler Holder from PCGS. I am trying to get all of my coins Trueviewed. Should I send it in and crack it out of the Rattler and get the TV or Sell the coin and buy an MS-66 for my collection. The coin is nice, but I doubt it would upgrade to an MS-66.

To Trueview or Not

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 12:44PM
    Leave the coin in the original holder and sell it so you can buy an MS-66 with a Trueview.

Or have a pro photograph it in the current holder. There seems to be several of those guys around here.

Oh, or what pcgsphoto said... I didn't know that was an option! Very cool!

Collector, occasional seller

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Or have a pro photograph it in the current holder. There seems to be several of those guys around here.

Indeed there is. ;) Of course if you want the TrueView format and not simply a nice photo, that is not an option.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had photos of slabbed coins taken by several forum members. All have done a good job, especially considering the aberrations introduced by plastic.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

cracking it out is too much work, upgrade and get the tv

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

I'd leave the coin in the holder and get it photographed that way.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crack it out and get the Trueview

I don't worry about the holder anymore. I used to. I'd rather have the TrueView and the coin can stand on it's own merits.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crack it out and get the Trueview

It's a win win to me...…..a nice photo and getting rid of the dreaded rattler.

• NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:
    A lot of people don't want to crack their coins out of their old rattler holders. Luckily you don't have to if you want an image! Many people submit for TrueView Only, and I can shoot through the holder. I've had some good results with those rattlers, especially Mint State coins. If you do choose this route mark the submission form clearly PHOTO ONLY - DO NOT CRACK OUT.

Hope this helps.

Well I did not know that was an option. So I will go ahead and submit it that way.

Thanks!!

• NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also I guess you could take a photo through the holder for a coin that has been CAC'd? Do people submit for a Trueview and ask not to take out of the holder if the holder has been CAC'd?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the coin in the original holder and sell it so you can buy an MS-66 with a Trueview.

@PCGSPhoto said:
    A lot of people don't want to crack their coins out of their old rattler holders. Luckily you don't have to if you want an image! Many people submit for TrueView Only, and I can shoot through the holder. I've had some good results with those rattlers, especially Mint State coins. If you do choose this route mark the submission form clearly PHOTO ONLY - DO NOT CRACK OUT.

Hope this helps.

That's awesome!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... You now have a third option (Thanks @PCGSPhoto )... Otherwise, as I voted, get a 66 already slabbed and TruViewed...Cheers, RickO

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:

Hope this helps.

THANKS VERY MUCH. I have three coins where I don't want to sacrifice the old holder. I'll send them in now. Excellent.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

My whole inventory is in plastic. All my photos are shot thru the plastic :s

Plastic sucks but it is what it is.

Professional photographers have numerous tricks to deal with the plastic.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like the coin leave it alone for nostalgia hmo

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 4:53PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    My whole inventory is in plastic. All my photos are shot thru the plastic :s

Plastic sucks but it is what it is.

Professional photographers have numerous tricks to deal with the plastic.

I thought you have a number of TrueViewed coins shot without plastic too.

Update: found the thread. You posted some of your TrueViews here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1006089/error-coin-trueviews#latest

I guess those are “photos of your coins” but maybe not “your photos”?

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on just dm us a price

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's your money. I prefer to spend my coin budget on coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file