Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions sought- 1844 Large Cent

telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a recently acquired 1844. I just took a quick grab shot of it but you should be able to clearly see the features in question. Note what appears to be an underlying lower loop of the 8 at left along with a bit of an underlying 1 at left.
Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places but I can't find this variety. It has no diagnostics of a 44/81.
A simple recut pair of digits perhaps? Haven't seen another like it and find it curious that I can't find images of a similar piece.
Any opinions or input would be appreciated.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

**A simple recut pair of digits perhaps? **

That's what I think.
    I don't study, nor have resources for any of the large cent varieties after 1839.
    So other members who do can probably be more helpful.

PS - great pics!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 12:55PM

That's a repunched date, and a characteristic of the 1844 N-3 (rarity 2)

A high res shot of both sides would be more helpful, but I'm fairly certain.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

Mike, looks like you nailed it. HA had a nice mint state example showing the same repunches on the 1 and 8. Interestingly though, they also had examples of N-3 with no trace of this whatsoever.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    Mike, looks like you nailed it. HA had a nice mint state example showing the same repunches on the 1 and 8. Interestingly though, they also had examples of N-3 with no trace of this whatsoever.

I first thought this was crazy but you are correct, Die State C shows no repunching.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2019 1:36PM

That's why I was having issues. I saw some supposed N-3's listed elsewhere that had no trace, and thought either they were wrong or I was. Early die state before the repunch, or really late die state with these features scoured out from striking?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

I appreciate the assistance. Thanks

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 6:37PM

@telephoto1 said:

The dies were lapped causing the repunching to disappear in later examples. The example from Heritage was likely a later die state.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find and excellent pictures.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Nice find and excellent pictures.... Cheers, RickO

+1

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting to find that the late die state coins do not exhibit the characteristics of the repunched date.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 9:53PM

The late die state N-3 (free of repunching and with reverse die cracks) is more common than the early one. Tom Bush sent me this one 10 years ago and I've kept it raw in my Dansco since.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file