Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANACS my method of cracking slab open

jabbajabba Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will only work in this generation of ANACS slab because of the neat slot that runs around the outside of the edges.

Now before we start safety first. I recommend safety glasses and cut resistant gloves, can’t replace your eyes and stiches are not as fun as you might think 🤔
First off you need a screwdriver preferably with a wide head or this won’t work very well I would use a short one for better control.
Put the screwdriver in the slot and twist you should hear the slab start cracking

Work your way around the edge until you you can get the screwdriver head into the bottom seam of the slab

Work you way around until the slab pops apart it seems cumbersome but it was quite easy and only took a minute. I feel this is a safe way not to damage the coin.

Comments

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 8:20AM

I have done that before with a screwdriver, but I have also done it to those slabs by hand also. One hand on the bottom of the slab and one hand on the top of the slab. Twist gently until you hear the plastic crack, and then twist it the other direction. For safety of course use leather gloves. Using a screw driver can sometimes send little pieces of plastic flying.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

These cheap slabs are able to be crackered by hand most of the time. Part of the reason I rarely, if ever, buy them. Ugly, easily cracked, and suspect grading since then moved to their new design. Just my opinion.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

So interesting experience... I've cracked earlier yellow anacs(2010-ish slabbing I think) holders that way and they just popped right apart. The last one I tried, though, absolutely would not split so I ended up having to go back to the cutters. I think they changed their sealing method at some point and is much more secure now. Do you know when that one was slabbed?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

This generation of slab is super solid. I’ve always found cracking these out is a rather violent process. I’ve never tried the approach you have proposed, so thank you for the information.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is the genius who choose that god awful yellow color ? :s:s:s

The color must change !!!

• Options
    KOYNGUYKOYNGUY Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

In Jan 2008 we were looking to make a break with the old blue holder and to show the change of ownership, (Whitman to J.T,-James Taylor) new grading staff, ICG team (Michael Fahey & myself), location (Austin to Denver).
    We had a good holder (not easily breakable as old blue one) and decided to make a color change. I personally wanted a gold foil tag, but the yellow was the choice of the J.T. and the final compromise.
    To choose blue, white or green would too closely mimic our competitors. So I am curious, What would your color choice be? J.P.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys wanna hear a kicker. There is talk of the ever popular small white holder being dusted off and offered in the near future, in some form either as a limited run, a sub form checkbox option, or both :relaxed:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    You guys wanna hear a kicker. There is talk of the ever popular small white holder being dusted off and offered in the near future, in some form either as a limited run, a sub form checkbox option, or both :relaxed:

If this happens, I hope they make it different enough from the original so we can tell the difference between the two eras of slabs and grading. I always liked the small ANACS slabs. They were big enough to hold every size of US coin with the exception of the $50 gold slugs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file