Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do we collect coins, or do coins collect us?

The great collectors are just another name among the list of pedigrees. I enjoy thinking about this duality- that really, the coins collect us

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

Comments

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 6:49AM

Coins are a lot like love - you can search, but love has to find you.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No... I collect coins... and other things...I have choices. What @TradesWithChops suggests, is an addiction....Nothing, and no one, controls me... :) Cheers, RickO

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 9:29AM

Saw a very cute picture of a wee little dog 1. If that is real 2.and is yours 3. I suspect there my be something controlling or at least trying cheers rickO 🙀🙏jzyskowski the little rascal in the USMC dog coin post from 6-27.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the latter can happen when you have want lists and are a known buyer. Then the coins find you via dealers and other sellers.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think the OP is suggesting that coins are controlling people or anything.
    Perhaps the point is that we dont own anything at all. The coin is permanent, and the names of the owners change- at least every lifetime. Hence, the coin collecting collectors?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

RichO might disagree about ownership questions,, I do. Generational collections,at least in my case keeps the name the same My father to my grandson Now about a coin collecting me? Got to admit have felt that way 🙀jzyskowski

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

But if coins collect us are they asking each other if we really collect them???

@ricko said:
    No... I collect coins... and other things...I have choices. What @TradesWithChops suggests, is an addiction....Nothing, and no one, controls me... :) Cheers, RickO

Haven't you ever come across a coin at some time unexpected, the quality and the price all better than you could have hoped for? That coin found you.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

If coins secretly collect us, do we have worry about a coin uprising and subsequent slabbing of collectors?

• TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    I dont think the OP is suggesting that coins are controlling people or anything.
    Perhaps the point is that we dont own anything at all. The coin is permanent, and the names of the owners change- at least every lifetime. Hence, the coin collecting collectors?

This- our collecting of the coins is a blip in time. The coins just keep collecting more names and on it goes!

@ARCO...."That coin found you." No, that would imply sentience and ability to reason... coins are inanimate metal...I collect coins....not vice versa. Cheers, RickO

edited June 30, 2019 11:35AM

@ricko said:
    @ARCO...."That coin found you." No, that would imply sentience and ability to reason... coins are inanimate metal...I collect coins....not vice versa. Cheers, RickO

I guess there is the straighforward logic way to consider it, and then there is the world of the unseen, where thought, desire and intent work some sort of magic on how reality manifests.

You prefer the logic side of it. I rather like the other. Doesn't really matter at all, it just makes collecting more enjoyeable IMO. Besides if the "coin finds you", the you as a logical, no-nonsense actor and agent of your own choices can walk away, right?

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko Is it a case of semantics? Let me ask, have you ever been browsing for a coin, a gun, a knife, and just felt it "calling to you"?

I actually kind of see it your way. Perhaps, we just assign these ideas to a thing to deflect from our perceived or not control over whether to buy or walk away.

@thisistheshow....Semantics? Perhaps, however, I prefer to be precise in language - both spoken and written. I do not believe in spirits, luck or hobgoblins. I have always been a realist. And no... I have not experienced an inanimate object 'calling to me'... I guess I am not prone to journeys of fantasy....Good luck to those who are....We humans cover the behavioral and aesthetic spectrum... Makes us interesting... ;) Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    @thisistheshow....Semantics? Perhaps, however, I prefer to be precise in language - both spoken and written. I do not believe in spirits, luck or hobgoblins. I have always been a realist. And no... I have not experienced an inanimate object 'calling to me'... I guess I am not prone to journeys of fantasy....Good luck to those who are....We humans cover the behavioral and aesthetic spectrum... Makes us interesting... ;) Cheers, RickO

Just lighthearted fun Ricko. No one says you have to believe anything. A coin "finding you" is really just a way of saying that a lot of research, time and energy seeking coins to purchase finally comes to fruition when a special coin is found. You did all the work, the coin is laying there on the table dead as a rock, but that sensation of how it feels to find it is exhilarating. Hobglobins and luck are not part of the equation.

I wonder how the finders of the Saddle Ridge hoard felt as they were out walking in nature when a big pot of gold showed up? Did they find the hoard or did the hoard find them? ;)

@ARCO.....Yep... I agree... lighthearted fun.... I enjoy discussions, of all types.... but there also, I try to stick to reality...The idea of MY mind wandering is a scary thing..... :D That happens in my dreams.... :o Cheers, RickO

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

We humans sure are an interesting bunch. :D

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

I very much like your analogy. Insightful and intelligent. I agree with you.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

If coins collect us, I’d love to read their forums :)

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Things control lots of people. Keeping a realistic perspective about mortality and what really matters keeps your head right.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Things control lots of people. Keeping a realistic perspective about mortality and what really matters keeps your head right.

Bryce, by any chance are you a doctor? If not you would have made a good one. Philosophy? MD? Just curious. I get the impression that you just might be.

• TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2019 12:54PM

@Zoins said:
    If coins collect us, I’d love to read their forums :)

My coins definitely would be talking smack about me :D ""I can't believe he doesn't think my beautiful colored rear isn't natural""

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@BryceM said:

Bryce, by any chance are you a doctor? If not you would have made a good one. Philosophy? MD? Just curious. I get the impression that you just might be.

MD

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:
    Coins are a lot like love - you can search, but love has to find you.

I also believe that the music I like picked me, I didn't pick it.

edited June 30, 2019 1:50PM

Don’t you think that where you’re raised has a bunch to do with your musical as well as about let’s be technical “a gajillion” other things ?🙀jzyskowski picking you well you may still have a point Oh no my cat is laughing at me again

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

We just take care of them for a while.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2019 3:18PM

It was Eddie Condon that said Ted Lewis really knew how to make a clarinet talk and it said "put me back in my case".

Imagine a coin that would just rather stay in the dealer case than be seen in your collection.

Oh well... I suppose there is always stamp collecting.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2019 5:22AM

Reminds me of Jim Carrey as Matthew McConaughey (start at 5:04)

https://youtu.be/ImaYMoTi2g8?t=304

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are all just renting them of course :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file