Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It's been awhile!

Hey everyone! I haven't been on in awhile but I wanted to show off my latest submission,, I have 916 into this submission, coins and grading fees,, and on paper they're worth $1837!! My favorite is this 1861rwzw

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:
    Hey everyone! I haven't been on in awhile but I wanted to show off my latest submission,, I have 916 into this submission, coins and grading fees,, and on paper they're worth $1837!! My favorite is this 1861rwzw

Pics?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 .... Welcome back... We would love to see a picture of your new acquisition... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:

"On paper" isn't what it used to be.

Welcome back!

• Options
    SilverEagle420SilverEagle420 Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 7:50AM

All of these were raw, and all graded awesome with no problems
    1861 3 cent- PR62 - $650
    1934 D 1 CENT- MS66RD- $210-250
    1936 S Merc- MS66FB- $170
    1917 WALKER OBVERSE D- AU55-$550-600
    1855 10 cent w/arrows- AU58-$210

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 3CS is lovely!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice!

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    That 3CS is lovely!

Omg I know!! I couldnt get a good pic I'm glad the trueview came out so nice

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love them all and welcome back!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the grades.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well done.

• Options

Welcome back @SilverEagle420 but you don’t have to go into hiding when you send your coins in for grading. :D

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Welcome back @SilverEagle420 but you don’t have to go into hiding when you send your coins in for grading. :D

Haha jus been real busy with summer and work and took a break on coins for a lil while to be honest :p I'm glad everyone likes them, i was considering sending some to great collections,, what is your opinion on auctions?? I feel like the tone on that 1861 should bring some sort of premium

• Options

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Hemispherical said:

Haha jus been real busy with summer and work and took a break on coins for a lil while to be honest :p I'm glad everyone likes them, i was considering sending some to great collections,, what is your opinion on auctions?? I feel like the tone on that 1861 should bring some sort of premium

No fees on the BST.

I’d check latest sold auction results from HA, GC, and Bay to get an idea of possible premiums of what others are willing to pay.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 5:56PM

This:
    No fees on the BST.
    @ Hemispherical nailed it.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019 8:19PM

If you’re going to sell some of these, you might want to ask some of the members here which ones they think might CAC (perhaps that lovely 1861 PR62 3CS)? Only 3 in that grade have a CAC, and if you succeed, I believe it would generate interest from a LOT more people, and would be well worth the $14.50 cost. I like using BST, as I have just started using that myself for some coins, but if you do decide to submit that 3CS to CAC, and if you have success, I think you’d do better in an auction.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 That's a nice set of coins. I noticed that you posted grades below them, so without looking I tried to guess the grades. I was close on all except the the 3CS, where my grade was much higher than the PCGS grade. Since you have seen the coin in hand, what do you think is holding the 3CS from a higher grade?

Regardless, it's cool to think of some collector at the start of the Civil War taking the time to purchase a proof coin from the mint.

Mark

• Options

@Mark said:
    @SilverEagle420 That's a nice set of coins. I noticed that you posted grades below them, so without looking I tried to guess the grades. I was close on all except the the 3CS, where my grade was much higher than the PCGS grade. Since you have seen the coin in hand, what do you think is holding the 3CS from a higher grade?

Regardless, it's cool to think of some collector at the start of the Civil War taking the time to purchase a proof coin from the mint.

There are very small hairline scratches but I believe they are planchet flaws,, if you look closely at the stars, some have full astrick lines,, and others seem worn or badly struck,, I think because of those they went low,, I was really considering sending it and maybe another to cac but I've never done it before,, if they dont agree will they fight to get the grade upped or do they either agree or not agree with pcgs

• Options

And I was really hoping for a + with that old crusty tone

• Options

Ohh also I was thinking about using great collections cause they will send it out for CAC for me, which beside the 1861 would you guys submit

• Options

@SilverEagle420 Yes, I can see the flat stars but not the hairlines or planchet flaws. I have one proof 3CS and, as you can see below, it also has a flat star (at about 7 o'clock, one of stars that is also flat in your coin). My 3CS is a PR66, so I'm not sure if weakly struck stars limit the grade or not. One point I was interested to see is that the "D" in "UNITED" is complete in your coin and broken at the top in mine. I don't generally collect 3CS, but looking online I have noticed a goodly number have a broken D.

Mark

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously... No one is going to comment on the coyote in the chicken coop?!?! :D

Nice coins :#

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options

@Mark said:
    @SilverEagle420 Yes, I can see the flat stars but not the hairlines or planchet flaws. I have one proof 3CS and, as you can see below, it also has a flat star (at about 7 o'clock, one of stars that is also flat in your coin). My 3CS is a PR66, so I'm not sure if weakly struck stars limit the grade or not. One point I was interested to see is that the "D" in "UNITED" is complete in your coin and broken at the top in mine. I don't generally collect 3CS, but looking online I have noticed a goodly number have a broken D.

Well if you look closely at all lettering and date its doubled, typical of longacre coins but this seems to be a lil exagerated,, I can take a few pics when I get home at an angle and you can see the scratches I'm referring to, but yours looks a hell of a lot cleaner than mine,, my toning is jus thick and crusty and yours is subtle and nice, I honestly think the scratches are planchet flaws or adjustment Mark's cause they're raised and not depressed,, I may send it for reconsideration but the president of great collections messaged me back saying my toned silver eagle, the 3 cent and that 1917 obverse d are perfect for them and the 1861 is a "superb" coin that he wants in his auctions

• Options

@SiriusBlack said:
    Seriously... No one is going to comment on the coyote in the chicken coop?!?! :D

Nice coins :#

Haha right!! I was surprised too, that damn coyote almost tasted alotta .22 lead

• Options
    Dreverett1Dreverett1 Posts: 79 ✭✭

I’m a rookie on the auction houses. What is BST?

• Options

I didnt know either I assume stacks Bowers lol

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dreverett1 said:
    I’m a rookie on the auction houses. What is BST?

Buy Sell Trade here on the forum

@SilverEagle420 said:
    I didnt know either I assume stacks Bowers lol

• Options

Ohhh ok well heres the pics of those hairline scratches

• Options

• Options

@SilverEagle420 Yes, your picture makes it easy to see the hairline scratches. It's amazing how these don't seem to show up at all in the True Views. You are correct, my 3CS does not have any similar hairline scratches, so I really expect that these scratches determined the grade on your 3CS. Still, thinking about the person in 1861 who, even in the face of the start of the Civil War, was still determined enough to buy a proof 3CS from the mint--that is just cool!

Mark

• Options

@Mark said:
    @SilverEagle420 Yes, your picture makes it easy to see the hairline scratches. It's amazing how these don't seem to show up at all in the True Views. You are correct, my 3CS does not have any similar hairline scratches, so I really expect that these scratches determined the grade on your 3CS. Still, thinking about the person in 1861 who, even in the face of the start of the Civil War, was still determined enough to buy a proof 3CS from the mint--that is just cool!

Absolutely and I love that these years have the arrows and branch,, but they only made 1000 proofs total of this year, so that blows my mind even more that one like this was floating around raw still before I bought it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file